Technical Aircon - switching off.

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon - switching off.

LoBsTeR

Brain freeze
Just wondering if there is a 'running down' period for aircon. I usually turn mine off about 3 minutes before I am due to switch off the engine. Is this necessary on a vehicle? Just thought that maybe the condensate would get trapped in the system and perhaps go a bit rotten if I didn't.

If anyone could clarify this for me, I would appreciate it.

Just wondering if there is a 'running down' period for aircon. I usually turn mine off about 3 minutes before I am due to switch off the engine. Is this necessary on a vehicle?

Yes, I think this is a good idea. Some cars more than others, but especially my Stilo and the Alfa Romeo 164 I had before it, you notice that if you turn the A/C off when driving, the windows fog up. The misting is worse than if the aircon hadn't been on in the first place! Therefore the moisture appears to take some time to dry from the evaporator.

I don't like the idea of parking-up with the evaporator still wet, as particularly with my Stilo it often sits for a couple of weeks at a time which is just asking for mould problems. So I turn my air conditioning off at least five minutes before getting home. It's a bit of a bummer as the A/C is useful in the winter weather we're getting these days, but it seems to create more moisture than it removes...

-Alex

Back