Technical Airbags going mad!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Airbags going mad!!!

paulmacs

147,Boxster S,GP Multijet
I've had 20+ airbag warning lights and beeps, stop engine from last night and the cars booked into Fiat later in the week.

It happens about a min after start up and then reguarly as driving.

The car has just entered its 3rd year of warranty. I rung the dealer who said they will need to check if it falls into the 3rd year warranty ok list....

Anyone got any ideas??

Sounds like another prssure sensor under driver or passenger seat just to check try moving the seat forward or back ward mine was the drivers side

stilos and air-bag errors, my rule is, first visit from customer should be the last, dealers know there a problem, they know if you fix the o/s errors then next week it will be n/s, week after it will curtain bag errors, first visit (under warranty that is) ALL the connections should be taken care of, but it will never happen because of the time involved and fiat will not pay for any work done unless the customer has stated it as a problem.
The connections to the air-bags are a major problem, but the actual remedy is usualy just a tweaked connection in the plugs, done correctly it should cure the problem. The pressure sensor in the seat isnt as big as reported problem than the wiring conectors.
Some dealers are now hardwiring the connectors (cutting the plugs off the wiring and soldering the wires together). yes this works and sorts the poor connectors problem out, but fiat says its a big no-no and no dealer trained technician should do it, the fear being some muppet ballsing the job up and causing damage and/or danger to the passengers in the car. poor soldering and poor quality solder being a worry also as it can cause resistance in the wiring. personaly i would say to anyone thinking of doing it, dont, and if you do, make sure your dozy mates are not about at the time, i was having to hardwire the passenger/center connections on a multipla's air-bag unit, which on this vehicle the air-bag unit is a bit of a bugger to remove, but you have to semi-remove it to get enough space/lenght on the wiring. to make matters worse i had to use the explosive charge as a small bench to solder the wires on (again no space or lenght on wires and couldnt get the unit completly out)., anyways as i am soldering the 2nd wire my faithfull work mates decided it be a great laugh to pick that time to set off a seat belt pre-tensioner charge on the bench next to the car, i didnt laugh, in fact i jumped so quick out the car i dropped the soldering iron on the carpet!!!

On all the fiats i have driven apart from the Stilo arbath that i currently drive have been back to the dealer for the same Airbag light fault.

In the Bravo and in the stilo dynamic it was always the sensor under the drivers seat, due to me have a young baby i was always pushing the seat back to put him in the rear baby seat.

This was always under warranty, i could not beleve it when i got the airbag light on when purchased the Stilo! i was thinking that i was carrying a curse in my back pocket.

they told me at Fiat the it would have been around £45 to reset each time if it was not in warranty.

But fingers crossed i think Fiat my have sorted the system in my current Stilo. (y) (y) (y)

I have been asked(told?)many times to solder airbag connections before but refuse point blank & walk away saying someone else can do it cause I aint,union/manufacturer would be on your side).I have seen it done in many garages,even wires twisted together & sellotaped!.The only way I would do it is by fitting a new loom section & I dont care if it's a full vehicle loom the customers safety must come first above all else & let them fight over the bill afterwards.

Well yes fiat (parkgate) said this morning that it was a faulty connection under the passenger seat. It was replaced. No more warning message. For now. :D

I'm happy again.

My Airbag sensors also an on-going event.

Had the seat sensor replaced a few weeks back, yet still going off. Garage phoned today, said they had ANOTHER sensor in to replace; I mentioned about the wiring loom under the seat, and comment was 'Ah, yes, we do a few of those on the Stilo?! :confused: - I await a return phonecall [along with N/S light replacement, brake lights fixed and Ulysse problems.............]

Back