Technical Airbag Warning Light

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag Warning Light

I’m a bit confused I thought the wires under the seat were for the pretensioner? Anyway mine is a 1999, with the VIS engine and has the TRW model year 97 airbag ECU. I think it has pretensioners, at least when I had an issue with one of the cables after moving the seat, it said it did and reset them using MES!
Did you manage to reset using the free version of MES?

Yes. I’m running quite an old version that came with the cable (3.9r1) if that makes any difference
Hmmm that's interesting, I was wondering if I needed to upgrade to the full paid version of MES to be able to clear my fault, but maybe not with your experience of clearing a pretensioner error with the free version.

I could be wrong…but I have this vague recollection of someone on here saying it did work with later versions - don’t quote me😉

1658215045765.png

Mine doesn't have the cable No.3 which one of the reasons why I didn't think I have pretensioners

I have to correct myself after researching further for OP.

His chassis number and ours which is a CF3 2005 model have the same Airbag ECU and *BOTH* cars do not have pretensioners.

This may prove interesting for MES model selection as I've check just about all "B" versions and none have pretensions. That said the TRW ECU is used in other models that may have pretensioners so the whole landscape becomes rather fuzzy :)

If other "B" owners are reading this then you may wish to check to se if you have pretensioners. If so your VIN number would be appreciated as we may be able to unravel the mystery.

Investigating further I think I was originally correct about CF3 certainly having pretensioners even though ePER does not list them (that I can see).

Looking in the "B" Fiat workshop manual then is shows the seat wiring and details for the pretensioners.

Also it seems that late CF2 year 1999/2000 also
If your car is CF3 (PM me your VIN chassis number an I can tell you exactly what your car is) then it will almost certainly have a 16 pin OBDII connector under the driver's seat on the cross member. It will also have pretensioners as standard. You can check this by looking at the seat rail where the beat belt buckle plugs in. If you see a round cylinder type cartridge with attached wires then this is the pretension.

If your "B" is not CF3 then do a MES Scan and it will/should detect which version (ISO code) of TRW unit you have. Again your VIN number may be able to help as well.
Need to confirm that this info I supplied is correct. CF3 does have pretensioners. Also appears that all "B"s (CF2/CF3/Special Editions) also have pretensioners. Only variations where the Airbag dia connector is located and if a passenger airbag is fitted. If you have the passenger airbag then you will also have the key based disable switch on the side of the dashboard.

I have to correct myself after researching further for OP.

His chassis number and ours which is a CF3 2005 model have the same Airbag ECU and *BOTH* cars do not have pretensioners.

This may prove interesting for MES model selection as I've check just about all "B" versions and none have pretensions. That said the TRW ECU is used in other models that may have pretensioners so the whole landscape becomes rather fuzzy :)

If other "B" owners are reading this then you may wish to check to se if you have pretensioners. If so your VIN number would be appreciated as we may be able to unravel the mystery.
PLEASE IGNORE THE ABOVE

Need to confirm that this info I originally supplied is correct. CF3 does have pretensioners. Also appears that all "B"s (CF2/CF3/Special Editions) also have pretensioners. Only variations where the Airbag dia connector is located and if a passenger airbag is fitted. If you have the passenger airbag then you will also have the key based disable switch on the side of the dashboard.

Checking ePER then pretensioners ARE listed/shown for CF2/CF3/Special Editions.

Success!! :)
All faults cleared and warning lights extinguished.

I'll set out the process that worked for me-
Turn ignition off and key out - wait 15mins
Disconnect battery and turn on headlights!
Wait an hour
Disconnect airbags
(at this point I also removed the seats to determine if I have pretensioners - I do!)
Check and Clean all connectors
Spray them with contact cleaner
Re-connect - ensure they are all fully home.
My car has a passenger airbag so at this point I turned it off.
Connect the 3 pin lead to ecu and to the laptop
Turn ignition on
Open MES
Click on Connect
Then Clear errors - at this point my errors all cleared.
Disconnect lead to ecu
Start engine to confirm.
Turn engine off and remove keys
Turn passenger airbag back on
Start engine to confirm again

Thank you to s130 and everyone else who helped me :)

Attachments

• 56304159-8df8-44f4-83ba-ac11cbb12f65.jpg
    56304159-8df8-44f4-83ba-ac11cbb12f65.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 41
Back