Technical airbag light on (MK1)

electricFuzz

Hi,

I was doing some repair on my father's punto MK1. Like an idiot I removed a fuse without disconnecting the battery first. We now have the airbag light on the time. I think nothing's wrong, it just fired an error and copied into memory.

the fuse I removed is under the small black block under the windscreen in the bay engine.

Where is located the ECU module ? (behing the radio I read but not sure). I'd like to write down the module ID.

It seems that those cars don't have a OBD2 port but rather a diagnostic port for the airbag module. Is there a recommended tool to talk to it and try to reset it ?

If I change the module, is it a plug-and-play type of operation ? (I guess it is considering how old the car is)

thanks !

Noddy

Bugs Beware!!
The airbag module/ecu is located behind the center console, between the gearstick and bulkhead. Its mounted to the tunnel section.

What work did you do when you disconnected the fuse? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours and reconnecting?

From memory I dont think either MES or iaw ecu scan will do airbag but cant confirm without checking.

OP
OP
E

electricFuzz

Hi Noddy, thanks for the reply.

What work did you do when you disconnected the fuse? Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a couple of hours and reconnecting?

nothing to do with the electronic and the sensor of the car. We changed the oil pan, the timing belt, the thermostat. I disconnected the battery for less than a hour. Maybe I'll try to remove the connection for several hours.

From memory I dont think either MES or iaw ecu scan will do airbag but cant confirm without checking.

That's what i'm afraid of and at the dealership it can cost an arm and a leg. Let alone if they still have the tool to read the module memory. (I had the experience for another car which is even more exotic than a fiat punto! )

blu73

Its Adventure Time!
Staff member
MultiECUScan can connect to the airbag and ABS modules, you can't connect to it from the normal diagnostics port by the ecu as thats just for the engine ecu..

Theres another port (same fiat 3-pin) for the airbag, thats the one inside under the centre console area. And theres another one for the ABS system which from memory is by the ABS pump in the engine bay - sorry its been about a decade since i had a mk1 punto so thats as precise as i can remember.

But look near the ABS pump for another 3-pin diagnostic connector the same as the one by the ecu. Connect in the same way as ECU, so fiat 3-pin adapter to KKL/Vagcom cable to laptop and it should connect up and read/clear codes just fine.

OP
OP
E

electricFuzz

Hi sorry I haven't given news about the car. I didn't have much time to work on it

But look near the ABS pump for another 3-pin diagnostic connector the same as the one by the ecu. Connect in the same way as ECU, so fiat 3-pin adapter to KKL/Vagcom cable to laptop and it should connect up and read/clear codes just fine.
No ABS on the punto but I think I found the 3-pin connector hanging behing the front console, behind the radio.

I have to get back on it anyway, the car won't pass safety regulation otherwise. The car drives fine and we've make too much work(the car is possessed...) to toss it.

next step : find out the serial number and identification code of the airbag module and find a new one (little hope that dealerships can be of any help for such old car). I'll let you know ! thanks !