Technical Airbag Failiure

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag Failiure

dadis1988

Hallo There,

I have a problem with my airbags. I just cant get ridd off this messege on my dash. When i use the FiatECUScan i have found a problem

See attached picture.

I aalready did cleaned all my connectors under my and passangers seat multiple of times. I did the connector cleaning in the glovebox.

Is there anyone whoe has had thesame issue?

Regards,

Dawid Kowalczys

PS. is the picture is not loaded well, the error states: 2F - Side Airbag (rear driver`s side) Value too high intermittent/present 132

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    135.1 KB · Views: 55
Hi dadis1998 did you by any chance clean the two connections in the boot when you did the other ones

Thanks for the replay.
No i did not. Do you know where can i find them?

Regard

Dawid

They behind the side panels in your boot buddy

Do you know where can i find them?

They behind the side panels in your boot buddy

I think the connectors in the boot are for the curtain (head) airbags.

"2F - Side airbag (rear driver's side)" refers to the airbag in the rear seat. The connector for it is under the front of the rear seat.

Attachments

• Left Rear Seat Airbag Connector.JPG
    Left Rear Seat Airbag Connector.JPG
    987.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Right Rear Seat Airbag Connector.JPG
    Right Rear Seat Airbag Connector.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
Great!!!

Thanks for the explanation and for the pictures. I will take a look. I`m even sure that is the problem. Some time ago I was moving some big stuff in my car and i damaged the rearsit a bit right at that spot.

I will take a look asap and will let you know if the problem is solved.

cheers

Dawid Kowalczys

Hi dadis1988

I am currently working on my sons Stilo 1.6 16v. we have had numerous problems from the word go, for now i'll focus on our common enemy. I have seen these little contacts, cleaned them tested them for resistance and continuity all seems fine, i'd suggest you try the same if not already. I found no cracked wires on the loom under either seats, always use a working one for comparison, so after taking battery terminal of for 30 mins i took the seat out completely and checked under the mats and flooring as well as the seat itself, not easy to check wiring in seat as its sewn in so i did the best i could, still no problems. i have also checked the EMU unit that sits on the engine, youtube this youll see what i mean. great video on soldering loose pins that causes all sorts of faults again no problems there.

so on friday I bought an Autel MD802 having now read the instructions updated it and plugged it in it had great pleasure in telling me there was nothing at all wrong with the sytem....and yet the light remains. looking at your photo i would swing towards dodgy connection, i have seen similar slides in my travels around the web looking for answers for our car. my gut feeling is you MAY have to fork out on a scanner too, not the 802 but maybe a cheaper model, diagnostic world are pretty good for advice and scanners (i have no affiliation with them i bought mine of amazon) of all the cars and issues i've had in 32 years this has, and is the worst problem i've encounted.

clean the contacts thoroughly, you can see the looms etc under the seats they will look something like Davrens picture if not identical. use some contact cleaner and small screwdriver dont rush this go through all the wiring and look for the smallest crack, break or tape up. if you have a test meter test the resistance on drivers side and passenger side wiring looms, make sure battery is disconnected first as airbags can fire if you short out contacts. be wary of garages, they cna charge an arm and a leg and you think this is solved and thirty miles down road bang it happens again, another reason i forked out onmy scanner now i have my own tester and no BS from a hungry garage. let me know how you get on..

Steve

Last edited:
I have seen these little contacts, cleaned them tested them for resistance and continuity all seems fine, i'd suggest you try the same if not already.

Do not check any airbag or pyrotechnic device wiring for resistance unless it is completely disconnected from the device. The voltage supplied from a multimeter when set to Ohms scale can fire the device. Never connect an ohmmeter to an airbag or pyrotechnic device.

Most airbag and pyrotechnic device wiring connectors are equiped with shorting clips that engage when the connector is disconnected. These need to be isolated before checking resistance of the wiring.

i have also checked the EMU unit that sits on the engine, youtube this youll see what i mean. great video on soldering loose pins that causes all sorts of faults again no problems there.

The Stilo engine management ECU has nothing to do with airbag circuits.

my gut feeling is you MAY have to fork out on a scanner too

Dawid already has MES as can be seen from his original post. He doesn't need another scanner.

clean the contacts thoroughly, you can see the looms etc under the seats they will look something like Davrens picture if not identical. use some contact cleaner and small screwdriver

Most airbag connector contacts are gold plated. Do not use a "small screwdriver", or anything abrasive to clean them. Usually, disconnecting and reconnecting them is sufficient.

Last edited:
Davren.

Seems I have my wires crossed. Thanks for the accuracy, i've been all over this forum, web and car. I didnt spot the Mes unit, seems alot of people use these would you say they are more efficient than the Autels?

Ecu i am surprised at this, genuinely i was informed by a local garage to have a look at the contacts, being a dubious person i googled it and watched several videos, the one that caught my eye was as mentioned. as for the connectors again did this on genuine advice.
All this tells me i should have come here first experience often counts above all else.

Thank you for straightening those points out, despite having done all i wrote we are no nearer to solving our problem. i will test some more and put up results etc a bit later, you seem to know your stuff maybe you or some one can shed light on this, thanks again.

dadis1988 my apologies for the innaccuracy.

steve

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with Autel, but the MD802 you mention appears to be just a fault code reader/eraser. MES can do that, and actuate various components for diagnostic purposes, and carry out adjustments to various ECUs.

I can't think of any reason for the airbag ECU to be connected to the engine management ECU. In the event of a crash, the fuel cut off inertia switch will stop the engine (and unlock the doors if locked, and switch on the interior lights for 30 minutes via the body computer).

The airbag ECU is connected to the instrument cluster to activate the various airbag related warning lights. It's also connected to the Connect Nav+ unit (if fitted) to phone the emergency services in the event of a crash that activates a front airbag.

What airbag problem are you trying to resolve with son's your car?

Davern.

Thanks for response. I'm an old fart, used to rebuilding Jaguars, Rovers and Allgro's. I am dab hand with mechanics, but quite frankly and honestly lost in this techno wiring of modern cars, I am a believer the more you put on the more can go wrong......if only all cars were powered by a Lister engine...

Anyways enough of my ramblings. short version is junior bought a lemon....shocks needed repalcing alround, tracking needed doing N/S, door swtich D/S didn't work, front bushes shot to blazes, rear bushes shot to blazes, and the dreaded airbag warning light.
He paid 500 for the 53 stilo 1.6 16v 136.000 miles but clean as a whistle. As it stands i have wishbones, rear bushes, (i'll replace the whole lot can't be bothered to push the rubbers out of an old wishbone) and this damn airbag left to do, the rest i have done for £126 all in, not bad for two weeks so far.

i am updating this Autel, its a new thing so i wont profess to anything great about it, it seems to be recomended by a fair few, this MES one sounds equal i must say. so far i'm updating software have done a few runs with it on the car and varying results. i have taken a few shots on last run and will do so on the next.

Since i am still non the wiser as to the cause of this i'll start a thread with all the info i have collected hopefully with all elements someone can give me an idea as to were to look. again thankyou for setting me straight on the earlier thread, i'm not too old to learn..........and not too old to admit when i'm wrong....

all the best

Steve

Last edited:
Guys.

Thanks alot. It was indeed the connector under the rear seat. I didnt even knew there was a connector :)

Al well now.

regards,

Dawid Kowalczys

Back