Air Rifles and Pistols

Currently reading:
Air Rifles and Pistols

I like the selling method :p give high price and then lower it, i like it :D I'd be tempted ot buy (i got too many as it is tho, lol) And i gotta save money for my car :rolleyes:

Got myself a gun today. I went through hundreds of reviews and came to the conclusion that the BSA Lightning XL was the right gun for me :)

I have spent the last 3 hours target shooting in my garden and by the time I was done I was pretty pleased with the results. I still have a lot to learn but i'm a patient sort of guy and I will take my time and enjoy learning all I can.

Here's a couple of pics... What do you recon peeps :)

Hi Chaos,

Yeah it's a Webley scope.. 3-9X40 , Is that a good scope for me ?
It was the only thing I was unsure about. I told the guy I wanted a scope that would last me a while as I didn't want to upgrade it too soon once I had got to be a better shot. So he recommended the Webley. I have to say I like the small crosshair, it allows you to still see plenty of the target.

Only thing I found was, after a little while of using it, the crosshairs were starting to overlap IYKWIM ? Don't know if that was my eyesight going a bit wonky or is it a fault or just something I should expect after looking through the scope fo so long ?

Also, do you have any tips for consistent good shots. I first started using the scope with my left eye closed but found I could hit the centre more often if I had both eyes open. Is this the correct way to do it, as the crosshairs were genrally clearer like this ?

I also learnt that breathing really does play a big part in getting the perfect shot :)

3-9 should be fine for what you want to do with it.

I think your eyes were getting a bit tired.

Everybody's eyes are different - some aim better looking through the left eye, some through the right.

The breathing is the best tip I can give you.

Also if Christchurch is fairly local to you, I got this off Google http://www.geocities.com/christchurchgunclub/

SHooting technique? Well.. i wa sin the army.. and i will tell you the RIGHT way. trust me.. do what i say.. and you will be good ;0) (I was the ebst shot in my company, yeahhh babbyyy)

OK..

Im guessing your right handed, and right eyed.

Left Eye should be shut when concentrating on an aim.
Breathing as follows.. breathe normal.. and when your about to shoot EXHALE NOT INHALE. and hold it for 2-3 seconds and shoot.. and breathe..
BUT! after a shot.. DONT MOVE. dont disturb your position.. take another shot.. (unless you got a cock or 1 pellet rifle.. which i do.. so you can ignore that rule)

OK.. positioning.. i will take webcam pics of howyou can sit/kneel/lay down etc.. but for now.. to lay down.. on stomach, legs Straight behind you with your toes poitning outwards feeling natural. and rest on your elbows.. if u know what i mean.. Heres how positioning sohuld go : Legs/left arm/left hand/ right arm/ right hand/ shoulders/head position/relax. my best poition i found apart from prone (lay down) was to Kneel (sit)

in the army sitting on your foot counts as kneeling. basically.. as if you was stood up.. put your right foot on the ground with the outside of your foot on the floor.. and sit on your boot while leaning forward and resting your elbow on your right leg.. this works a charm! get used to them.. if you have any questions.. just ask! (y)

Cheers Chaos (y) I'll give that club a call when I get a little more confident with my shooting. It sounds like it could be fun ;) Christchurch is only 5 or 6 miles from me so it has to be worth a shot :rolleyes:

softwarez said:
SHooting technique? Well.. i wa sin the army.. and i will tell you the RIGHT way. trust me.. do what i say.. and you will be good ;0) (I was the ebst shot in my company, yeahhh babbyyy)

OK..

Im guessing your right handed, and right eyed.

Left Eye should be shut when concentrating on an aim.
Breathing as follows.. breathe normal.. and when your about to shoot EXHALE NOT INHALE. and hold it for 2-3 seconds and shoot.. and breathe..
BUT! after a shot.. DONT MOVE. dont disturb your position.. take another shot.. (unless you got a cock or 1 pellet rifle.. which i do.. so you can ignore that rule)

OK.. positioning.. i will take webcam pics of howyou can sit/kneel/lay down etc.. but for now.. to lay down.. on stomach, legs Straight behind you with your toes poitning outwards feeling natural. and rest on your elbows.. if u know what i mean.. Heres how positioning sohuld go : Legs/left arm/left hand/ right arm/ right hand/ shoulders/head position/relax. my best poition i found apart from prone (lay down) was to Kneel (sit)

in the army sitting on your foot counts as kneeling. basically.. as if you was stood up.. put your right foot on the ground with the outside of your foot on the floor.. and sit on your boot while leaning forward and resting your elbow on your right leg.. this works a charm! get used to them.. if you have any questions.. just ask! (y)
Thanks softwarez (y) I have tried the prone position and without doubt it's the best for a steady shot, but like you say, if the gun needs cocking it can be a pain :) But thats what I used to zero in as it is far more reliable.
Kneeling was a little bit more hit and miss but that will get better over time ( I hope :D ) I'll deffinately try your techniques tomorrow, Cheers for taking the time to pass them on to me ;)

Another question guys, sorry :eek: I have asked this on the dedicated airgun forum but nobody seems willing to answer it.

I have been trying to find out if I can upgrade my stock to a walnut one and where I can get one from ?

I also wondered what it would do to my gun by installing a Gas Ram in it. Does it make them quieter, more powerful or easier to load etc ?

I manged to get my scope zeroed a little better and got this result from kneeling. I was quite pleased with it as it was only the second day of owning the rifle, I don't know if this is any good or what though ?
target1.jpg

KoArAnG said:
Another question guys, sorry :eek: I have asked this on the dedicated airgun forum but nobody seems willing to answer it.

I have been trying to find out if I can upgrade my stock to a walnut one and where I can get one from ?

I also wondered what it would do to my gun by installing a Gas Ram in it. Does it make them quieter, more powerful or easier to load etc ?

I manged to get my scope zeroed a little better and got this result from kneeling. I was quite pleased with it as it was only the second day of owning the rifle, I don't know if this is any good or what though ?
target1.jpg
i wouldnt like to be a chav climbing your back fence lol

What sort of gas ram are you looking to install?

A walnut stock...................I would have thought it would be a custom jobby, and expensive.

I like the advert for Bisley pellets ;)

chaos said:
What sort of gas ram are you looking to install?

A walnut stock...................I would have thought it would be a custom jobby, and expensive.

I like the advert for Bisley pellets ;)
TBH Chaos I don't have a clue. I heard Theoben make them for the older Lightning but I have no clue as to whether it's worth doing or not. I love the gun so I don't mind spening money on it as I want to keep it and maybe get a Pnuematic one to go with it.

OOOh the amount of times i've been tempted to blast the head off an annoying pigeon we have around here. It's wakes my wife up every day. I know I said I would only be target shooting but there's some pleasure involved in getting that pigeon in my sights and pulling the trigger back that first step. oooh the power :D

KoArAnG said:
TBH Chaos I don't have a clue. I heard Theoben make them for the older Lightning but I have no clue as to whether it's worth doing or not. I love the gun so I don't mind spening money on it as I want to keep it and maybe get a Pnuematic one to go with it.

If you plan on getting a pneumatic then I wouldn't bother with the gas ram.

WHen your shooting it isnt "How close ot the middle you get it" lol It's MAINLY the grouping.. if you have all your shots grouped.. thats the main thing :D

softwarez said:
WHen your shooting it isnt "How close ot the middle you get it" lol It's MAINLY the grouping.. if you have all your shots grouped.. thats the main thing :D
Yeah but if you've got a nice new target to shoot at, whats the point in not using the bullseye to challenge yourself further. It's harder to actually see the holes in the center than it is on the outer edges so it's more of a challenge :)

i used to be a member of a shooting range
i use this as my target pistol
drulovpistol.jpg

drulov du10 5 shot semi auto co2 pistol, i have a few others tho but i find this the best one for target shooting

otherise i have a cp88 - with tasco red dot sight
cp99
smith n wesson 10shot co2 revolver
berretta 92fs c02 pistol with tasco red dot
some sort of gamo co2 pistol
air arms 10 shot air rifle
and a weihrauch venom tuned hw77k custom rifle with grade 1 thumbhole walnut stock and all parts tuned by webley venom

Last edited:
Weirauch HW77K...very nice. I have one of those with the custom thumbhole stock, lovely piece of kit and very accurate when shot by someone who knows what they're doing!

I want a theoben Rapid 7 or 12...

After not much consideration :) I am going to buy an Air Arms S400 sometime this week if all goes to plan. I like the BSA XL a lot, but I need a quieter gun so I'm thinking of part exchanging it :eek: for the AA.

Unless someone else wants to take it off my hands at a bargain price for a 5 day old gun :)

Back