Air Rifles and Pistols

Currently reading:
Air Rifles and Pistols

Hellcat said:
the SA 80 strips down into about 25 parts that need to be clean in order for the rifle to be effective otherwise it jams. The smallest of these is about the size of a matchstick. Great for when you are stripping down in the field at night.

The american colt strips down to 6 parts and almost never jams.

As the Yanks would say.. "Go figure"

Not so true :D When you strip to clean, you take it to about 7-9 parts.
(Was In the Army :p) Annoying thing is after 30 rounds, you got enough shi* in it to paint a whole room black, lol.

softwarez said:
Not so true :D When you strip to clean, you take it to about 7-9 parts.
(Was In the Army :p) Annoying thing is after 30 rounds, you got enough shi* in it to paint a whole room black, lol.

I'm with this one... ;)

LSW is good fun though :D

KoArAnG said:
Thanks again Guys. (y) I think I'll get one of each then. Rifle and pistol that is.
Don't worry about the "carrying around in public side of it guys" ;) I'll be careful.
I'll buy a proper case and all the stuff needed.

What you want is a violin case! :p

Sat range is fun :D the weapon is alot lighter thought :( And yeah, LSW makes ya kinda feel all fuzzy inside :D

I remember the first day we shot a SA80 A2, one kid didnt do his drill properly and had it on auto, **** himself, hahaha! he expected a "bang" instead. bangbangbangbangbang, lmao

More help needed guys :)

I was looking at what scope to buy with the gun, can anyone tell me exactly what the numbers stand for in these. I'm presuming the high numbers are the magnification ?
Also is it worth paying extra for one of the ones lower down the list or will the first one be good enough for general target shooting.

Hawke Sport 3-9x40 H.D.M.A.P
AGS Sapphire 3-9x40 Mil Dot
AGS 3-9x40 MINI MIL-DOT
Hawke Sport-HD 3-9x50 H.D. (add £10)
Hawke 3-9x50 Reflex. Mil Dot (add £43)
AGS 3-9x50 Tactical Hunter - Mil dot (add £43)
Hawke 3-9x50 IR NiteEye. Mil Dot (add £49)
Hawke 3-10x44 Varmint MkII. MilDot (add £65)
Hawke Airmax SR 3-12X44 AO (add £71)

Last edited:
KoArAnG said:
Well there's no need to answer the above question. I just phoned my father in law in the USA and he cleared that up for me :)

Just in case any one is curious..................
3-9 is the zoom (i.e. goes from 3x to 9x)
40 is the objective (front) lens diameter in mm.

If you want an air rifle for plinking, then really any break barrel/underlever will do. If you intend doing something like Hunter Field Target, then a PCP (pre charged pneumatic) is the ticket. Need an air pump or a compressed air bottle like scuba divers use to refill the air chamber though.
PCP has no recoil, break barrel/underlever does.
.177 is generally preferred, as it is 'more accurate' due to a flatter trajectory, as already said.

If you are after a purely budget break barrel, you'll do worse than buying an SMK (Sport Marketing) rifle. Cheap and easy to use. If you are feeling flush, then a Weihrauch is a good bet. As Weihrauch have already been mentioned, I'll say this. IF YOU ARE BUYING A WEIHRAUCH, YOU MUST ENSURE IT IS IMPORTED BY 'HULL CARTRIDGE' (as Weihrauch is German). HULL CARTRIDGE ARE THE ONLY IMPORTER OF UK SPEC GUNS AFAIK, AND GUNS FROM ANY OTHER SOURCE MAY NOT COMPLY WITH UK REGS IN TERMS OF POWER ETC. If it is from Hull Cartridge, then there'll be a sticker saying so.

Air Arms (www.air-arms.co.uk) are a good gun maker as well, particularly their 'budget' PCP rifles. Your best bet Koa would be to buy a couple of magazines such as 'Air Gunner', and get some prices etc.

With regards to the law...............

You must be over 17 to buy an air rifle, but you can shoot one at 14 as long as there is a responsible adult present. Power must not exceed 12ft/lb. If you shoot in your garden, then steps must be taken to eliminate richochets, and no pellet can stray past your boundaries. If you shoot on land other than your own, you must obtain the landowner's permission.

Air rifles do not require a FAC (Fire Arms Certificate). However, guns that use air cartridges are now illegal, but AFAIK Guns using CO2 capsules are legal.

Cheers for the info Chaos (y)

I phoned a local shop today and they invited me down to try some of the guns out. My only problem now is deciding on a gun type. The pre charged pneumatic are a lot more expensive and I would imagine because of the fact that they have a magazine they would be more suited to targets that are moving yeah.....

So I was looking at this one. How long does it take to load one of these rifles ?
Is it just a case of pulling down the barrel and popping in the pellet ? And I take it they are one pellet at a time ?

BSA_lightningxl_S.jpg

BSA Lightning XL With Silencer

This combo includes.... A tuned rifle (for optimum accuracy and power) Complete with detailed test certificate, Deluxe A.G.C rifle case, Mounts and 500 high quality pellets! FREE REPAIRSFREE SERVICING One of the worlds most popular spring guns has just had a re-vamp. An attractive chequered stock has been added and is finished off by a sleek new silencer

KoArAnG said:
Cheers for the info Chaos (y)

I phoned a local shop today and they invited me down to try some of the guns out. My only problem now is deciding on a gun type. The pre charged pneumatic are a lot more expensive and I would imagine because of the fact that they have a magazine they would be more suited to targets that are moving yeah.....

That's not quite true. You can get multi shot PCPs, but you can also get single shots. The main reasons why PCPs are more expensive is that more R&D gets pumped into them than springers as the PCPs are used in competitions and that they have to be able to hold compressed air, which AFAIK, takes more engineering and designing. A PCP can be easier to shoot than a springer as well.

KoArAnG said:
So I was looking at this one. How long does it take to load one of these rifles ?
Is it just a case of pulling down the barrel and popping in the pellet ? And I take it they are one pellet at a time ?

BSA_lightningxl_S.jpg

BSA Lightning XL With Silencer

This combo includes.... A tuned rifle (for optimum accuracy and power) Complete with detailed test certificate, Deluxe A.G.C rifle case, Mounts and 500 high quality pellets! FREE REPAIRSFREE SERVICING One of the worlds most popular spring guns has just had a re-vamp. An attractive chequered stock has been added and is finished off by a sleek new silencer

If you're plinking, then you don't really need a silencer TBH. As its a break barrel, then you would pull the front of the barrel down to expose the breach, and pull it all the way to cock it. You would then load a pellet into the breach, close it and then it is armed and ready to fire. So really it depends on how quick you can do all that. Obviously, the break of the barrel can deterimine the size of the scope you can fit to it, as you would not be able to cock it if the scope is in the way.
Also, don't be swayed by 500 free pellets, you can buy a tin of 500 for about £3-£5, depending on what you buy. It would also be helpful to have the scope specs, and that the scope is from a reputable maker, such as Hawke or Webley.

Have a look on www.airgunbbs.co.uk - they have a forum that looks surprisingly familiar.......................
It may also be worth looking to see if there's a club near you - that's somewhere where you can meet others, and that's somewhere where you can shoot safely. (y)

I've allways found the silencer's pointless.. it doesnt make much noise as it is, all you can hear is the Pttt. Nothin much.. and if it's for hunting.. you'd of shot the deer so no need to be quiet about it. + even if you dont hit a deer, their hearin is so good they'd leg it ;)

christopher watson said:
just to quickly say - Pietro Beretta .9 cal £30 (cost $185) these currently cost £105 to buy in the UK. Pietro Beretta .9 cal M93R with drop down hand grip on the front of the gun £35 (cost $200) these currently cost £116 in the UK. two smith and wesson replicas £10 each (or £17 the two, cost $100 the pair). Lorcin series 2000 M38-11 £8 (cost $50). sling shot £5. large tub of BB's offers.

EDIT - pics available on request. (cost prices are when i bought them new in America).

prices are lowered now as i need the money for a lambda.

beretta £15. beretta with hand grip £18. S & W replicas £6 each (£10 the two). lorcin £5. sling shot £3. large tub of BB's £8.

Back