Tuning air filter mod

Currently reading:
Tuning air filter mod

huy guys i wna go abit diy on my punto, i have a 1.3 jtd engine that has that builtin filter on the top of the engine, i wna baypass that and instal like the traditional sport "cone" airfilter. i was thinking of unscrewing those bolts at the map senzor and moving it abit forward ahead of engine, extedn the piping and attach an airfilter on the other side of the engine, ofc this can be probbly be done but my question is ,would it improve airflow and get me more air, would would the map senzor be all waird cuz it would have more direct air than before? or shauld i go with the sports (flat) builtin filter that i saw somewhere online.

Surely you mean maf? As long as the maf is able to measure all the air going in - what ever design you go for you should be okay

But tbh power gains is gonna be very little

Ziggy

yea i ment maf wops.. i got a a tuning chip that but if i max it it pushes to much fuel to the engine and not enough air, soim getting black smoke at higher setting, wna get more air in so i can set it higher :D

anyone ever tried this normal filter ?
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2932

was thinking this or a diy cone filter

also no wonder 1.3 jtd gets low air in. checked where the intake is and its just before a metal plate and with the hood down there is no holes anywahere so little air acully goes in... i turned it sideways and im already getting better airflow.

btw does the intake air have to come from the "engine bay" or could i extedn the piping down to spoilers where there r some opening for direct outside air?

yea i ment maf wops.. i got a a tuning chip that but if i max it it pushes to much fuel to the engine and not enough air, soim getting black smoke at higher setting, wna get more air in so i can set it higher :D

anyone ever tried this normal filter ?
https://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=33-2932

was thinking this or a diy cone filter

also no wonder 1.3 jtd gets low air in. checked where the intake is and its just before a metal plate and with the hood down there is no holes anywahere so little air acully goes in... i turned it sideways and im already getting better airflow.

btw does the intake air have to come from the "engine bay" or could i extedn the piping down to spoilers where there r some opening for direct outside air?
It can be outside the engine bay.... think of land rovers (4x4's) with snorkels?

On the 1.2 8v alot of people dropped it down low behind the battedy tray to get a cooler air feed
Cooler air helps engines perform better too

Just dont want a it to slowly suck up water on a rainy day and suffocate the engine as the filter gets wet

Never go low low low incase u ever travel through flood water.... as that will suck water up and hydro lock the engine

Ziggy

Absolutely no point as this is a forced induction engine, if it was any old 1.2 punto with a naturally aspirated engine then yes there maybe benefit to putting a better intake pipe and air filter in, you car has a turbo actively sucking air in, compressing it and pushing it into the engine. So changing the air filter will make naff all difference (especially as it's on 69hp to start with.

The single most effective thing you can do is clean out the induction pipe from the inter cooler to the engine intake, this is usually extremely blocked up with soot oil and dirt from the turbo and EGR system, cleaning this out can make the world of difference, but get some rubber gloves, as the crud you get out of those pipes is nasty stuff that will stain your skin, also don't inhale it best to get a partiacal mask

It can be outside the engine bay.... think of land rovers (4x4's) with snorkels?

On the 1.2 8v alot of people dropped it down low behind the battedy tray to get a cooler air feed
Cooler air helps engines perform better too

Just dont want a it to slowly suck up water on a rainy day and suffocate the engine as the filter gets wet

Never go low low low incase u ever travel through flood water.... as that will suck water up and hydro lock the engine

Ziggy

no i didnt mean like snorkels hah :D ment like putting it lower like u said, but as u said i also considered about water on rainy days. idk how to awoid that..and suggestions?

Absolutely no point as this is a forced induction engine, if it was any old 1.2 punto with a naturally aspirated engine then yes there maybe benefit to putting a better intake pipe and air filter in, you car has a turbo actively sucking air in, compressing it and pushing it into the engine. So changing the air filter will make naff all difference (especially as it's on 69hp to start with.

The single most effective thing you can do is clean out the induction pipe from the inter cooler to the engine intake, this is usually extremely blocked up with soot oil and dirt from the turbo and EGR system, cleaning this out can make the world of difference, but get some rubber gloves, as the crud you get out of those pipes is nasty stuff that will stain your skin, also don't inhale it best to get a partiacal mask

tnx for the info, i dont know much about cars performace yet. but yeah.. so the K&N filter that advertise to give "better airflow and power" is utter bull****? to sum it up i bought a tuning chip that acully gives power, but at some point it gives to much fuel and my system cant handle enough air so i get black smoke (wasted power) thats why i wna get more air into the engine. the turbine is fine, replaced not long ago, but it is standar so still quite weak.

do you have any more information u could give me regarding the cleaning of induction pipe, is it hard to get it off? and where is it located?

https://www.google.si/imgres?imgurl...ozWAhWEvRoKHRdGAq4QMwgqKAYwBg&iact=mrc&uact=8

this is how my airflow looks like, i dont think i have an intercooler to intake induction pipe, if u were refering to something like this

https://www.google.si/imgres?imgurl...ozWAhWEvRoKHRdGAq4QMwgkKAAwAA&iact=mrc&uact=8

Last edited:
When you say you have a Chip, What kind of chip, if all it is doing is overfuelling then it won't do the engine a lot of good in the medium to long term.

The 1.3 multijet needs absolutely no modifications other than a proper engine remap, to achieve an easy 100hp. and to be honest anything more than this is probably likely to start to stress the gearbox and clutch (they're only little and not exactly heavy duty) A proper Remap should not cause any fuelling issues like you're getting with your chip.

you do have an intercooler, sits on the passenger side of the lower bumper grill, on the 1.3 mk2b, the pictures you posted links to are for the grande punto and the linea (which is a grande punto saloon.)

The air from the filter box goes down into the top of the turbo, comes out, into the intercooler then a steel pipe travels up between the battery and the engine to the back of the engine and goes into the induction pipes, next to the EGR valve.

Can't offer pictures, I have long since sold my Punto

When you say you have a Chip, What kind of chip, if all it is doing is overfuelling then it won't do the engine a lot of good in the medium to long term.

The 1.3 multijet needs absolutely no modifications other than a proper engine remap, to achieve an easy 100hp. and to be honest anything more than this is probably likely to start to stress the gearbox and clutch (they're only little and not exactly heavy duty) A proper Remap should not cause any fuelling issues like you're getting with your chip.

you do have an intercooler, sits on the passenger side of the lower bumper grill, on the 1.3 mk2b, the pictures you posted links to are for the grande punto and the linea (which is a grande punto saloon.)

The air from the filter box goes down into the top of the turbo, comes out, into the intercooler then a steel pipe travels up between the battery and the engine to the back of the engine and goes into the induction pipes, next to the EGR valve.

Can't offer pictures, I have long since sold my Punto

im highly sure its not just and overfueling chip, i have this one
https://www.italianspeed.eu/en/chip...at-panda-cross-13-m-jet-69-hp-51-kw-2820.html

now it doesnt smoke at all setting, only at the very on race/sport on max setting which they claim it bumps hp over or around 100hp.

oh i think i know what u mean, fiat has that more squarish intercooler ?

okay so i have to follow the airflow from airfilter down to turbine than it goes into intercooler, than to egr and from egr to engine is the pipe?, or do i clean the whole section from turbo pass egr and to engine? have u ever done it urself? how difficult is this ?

ok so i found the induction system.for me its on a driver side since i have a stearing wheel on the left, but yeah, i located a shord pipe going from turbine to intercooler, and the start of the pipe that goes from intercooler to engine,but i lost it when it passes the battery tray and goes behind the engine, first part looks easy to remove, idk about the second one, but i did notice my intercooler aint in the best condition eather, i do belive i found some oil/grease/dirt on the bottom of it, idk how that got there? maybe a leak ? is is posible to clean the intercooler to? im not into buying new things wna restore what i can and leave the rest.since im already there i shauld clean the egr aswell right?

shauld i clean the pipe from engine back to turbine to or does that one not matter? the waste gass pipe or whatever its called

also how do u recomend cleaning the pipes? like with wather or what? could i use a looooong looong brush like the one for chimneys just smaller?

Last edited:
Take it a part and you'll see what you need to clean.

The oil on the intercooler is likely to be a mix of soot, oil and other crap that has got into the induction system and leaked out via the joints, due to positive pressure in those pipes.

You'll need carb cleaner, gallons of carb cleaner, don't even bother with water, just remember what I said above, make sure you're well protected as what's in the pipes will stain skin concrete, you name it, it will stain it, so clean it over a bowl or bucket you don't mind throwing out. Gloves, old clothes and a mask, when using carb cleaner, do so in a well ventilated area or outside

It can quite often look like this, and that's what you need to dissolve and clean out all the way from the turbo, in the intercooler and all around the EGR valve as well

Attachments

• IMG_9945.JPG
    IMG_9945.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 61
Take it a part and you'll see what you need to clean.

The oil on the intercooler is likely to be a mix of soot, oil and other crap that has got into the induction system and leaked out via the joints, due to positive pressure in those pipes.

You'll need carb cleaner, gallons of carb cleaner, don't even bother with water, just remember what I said above, make sure you're well protected as what's in the pipes will stain skin concrete, you name it, it will stain it, so clean it over a bowl or bucket you don't mind throwing out. Gloves, old clothes and a mask, when using carb cleaner, do so in a well ventilated area or outside

Will petrol work for cleaning. How hard is this job ? Cn it be done at home? Also im confussd where the egr is on 1.3.. cant find any info on that. What shauld i be carefull about aside from the stains

Okay i found all the piping that needs to be removed aswell as the egr valve, seems duable. Got a other question, shauld i clean the manifold aswell when im already at it or is that not as important? Since in cleaning the whole airintake i might aswell do inlet manifold right? Or is that non important fot airflow.

Okay i found all the piping that needs to be removed aswell as the egr valve, seems duable. Got a other question, shauld i clean the manifold aswell when im already at it or is that not as important? Since in cleaning the whole airintake i might aswell do inlet manifold right? Or is that non important fot airflow.
One step at a time
If u have a good run cleaning and its easily done - do it

If ur having a bad day - take ur time and do what you can

Ziggy

One step at a time
If u have a good run cleaning and its easily done - do it

If ur having a bad day - take ur time and do what you can

Ziggy

good thinking, i only asked because i saw alot of pics of dirty manifolds aswell, since thats conected i dont wna do the whole injection system just to than be setbacked for not cleaning the manifold aswell, ill see how it goes yeah everything to egr valve seems easy, wont even need to lift the car up, i saw i can take out the intercooler from below the car aswell so wont need to take out the bumper, but at egr and manifold things start to get harder. i start tomorow :D got 3 free days hopfully that will be enough.

question still stands, can i clean these things with gasoline ?

Don't use petrol, it's too volitile and dangerous to use as a cleaning agent.

You could use diesel, would likely work, but remember you'll have to clean it up afterwards and dispose of it safely, not just down a drain where it could do some real damage.

And remember that these solvents will dissolve bitumen used in domestic driveways leading to degradation of the surface or potholes

Don't use petrol, it's too volitile and dangerous to use as a cleaning agent.

You could use diesel, would likely work, but remember you'll have to clean it up afterwards and dispose of it safely, not just down a drain where it could do some real damage.

And remember that these solvents will dissolve bitumen used in domestic driveways leading to degradation of the surface or potholes

Hmm. Well i read alot clean with petrol.. the problem is idk where i could find so much cleaning agent here.. thats why i thought petrol is the most convinient method. Ur thought about cleaning manifold aswell?

after i clean all this, it will make a differance right? but after that i could also add an induction kit like https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/71144/fiat/bmc-cda-induction-kits/accda70-130-sassh7080.html and it would be even better?

Last edited:
hose from torbo to intercooler down and cleaned, intercooler down and cleaned, hose from intercooler to egr down and cleaned... this egr and manifold on 1.3 are retarded... all mashed together .. cant find a single pic of a manifold online for referance.. gona go in blind :D wish me luck

Back