Technical Air filter full of oily gunk - some black some yellowish

Currently reading:
Technical Air filter full of oily gunk - some black some yellowish

BeerGuts

I've just taken the air filter out and its full of what looks like thick dirty oil. I've taken the top cover off the unit and its also got oily stuff in it, through the pipes and into the top of the carb. The thin pipe that comes off the bigger one has got a pale sludge in it. Any ideas whats causing this? Is it a symptom of a larger problem or does it all just need a good clean?

Cheers.

First of all clean everything including contiminated pipes.

Some of the hoses are easy to damage.

Then monitor for new contimination.

The oil traps (if you have any) need brake cleaner aerosol, or that is what I use.

Noel

the same auto is overheating in another thread?

I've just taken the air filter out and its full of what looks like thick dirty oil. I've taken the top cover off the unit and its also got oily stuff in it, through the pipes and into the top of the carb. The thin pipe that comes off the bigger one has got a pale sludge in it. Any ideas whats causing this? Is it a symptom of a larger problem or does it all just need a good clean?

Cheers.

Just clean it all out with some wd40 and kitchen roll. I had a cinq that used to do it.. its cr*p that comes up the breather pipe, just keep an eye on it.
I never had any headgasket failure with mine, so i wouldnt worry unless you start losing loads of coolant, and what you have got in the header tank looks oily.

The car has been used mainly for short runs. It is the same car with an overheating problem in another thread. There is no oil in the coolant header tank, just some orange rusty stuff which doesn't look anything like the gunk in the air filter.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Hang on a mo.

Orange rusty stuff in the header tank?

I though you had flushed the cooling system as part of your overheating issue.

Rusty stuff tend to suggest that incorrect coolant has been used without corrosion inhibitors.

Sounds like the car hasn't been serviced for a while.

Oil should be golden brown, coolant, possibly pinkish if using paraflu, golden green if using GM.

Cheers

SPD

Suggest borrow a compression tester...

Oil should be golden brown, coolant, possibly pinkish if using paraflu, golden green if using GM.

Never blue?

Cinq's air filter/housing isn't _full_ of oily rubbish, but there is a thin film inside the housing in places, looks a bit like spilt coffee that dried on instead of being wiped up - much to worry about?

Cleaned the breather hose up with brake cleaner a few weeks back when I changed the filter.

Last edited:
Hello, totally empathise with the Fan issue :bang::bang:
Been reading your other thread...
I have justbought a perfectly sound Compressionj Tester (amtech,a US brand that is low cost, but does the JOB)
from ebay for about £9 delivered, in a case with an extension,and 2 adaptors,
It is something i will use probably lessthan once a year !
So this is what i wanted to say, if you aint got one, these are fine IMO
:)

Cleaned out the air filter box and pipes and changed the filter itself. Will have to keep an eye on it.

Fan is finally working!!!:)

Changed the header tank cap for a new one and re-filled with 50:50 coolant and water. The pipes got harder than usual so I must have been losing compression at the cap.

Full details of what I changed in the 'Overheating - Fan not coming on' thread.

Thanks to everyone who offered their expertise and advice(y)

Cheers!

Back