Technical Air filter (drilled holes)

Currently reading:
Technical Air filter (drilled holes)

PeteyPye

Hi,

Ok, so I drilled some holes in my standard air box - sounds ok... but seems there is a bit of performance loss, i.e the revs don't shoot up as they used to.. now I don't know if this will happen on the road because as we all know i'm not legal to drive yet! Anyone had the same issue?

Cheers

lol, keep the holes, it adds power, and when you said it sounded ok, was the car standing still? if so just wait until your moving, it sounds about 10x as nice (y)

id recommended drilling the airbox, i think its great (y)

any pics? so i can say drill more or thats enough?

I know drilling the airbox works on carb'd cars, but whether it works on injection cars may be another matter altogether................:chin:

From RR testing I can't confirm any improvement on drilled boxes. The 'extra' go usually is a subjective impression.

The holes in the airbox will kill potentially torque.

Oldschool said:
From RR testing I can't confirm any improvement on drilled boxes. The 'extra' go usually is a subjective impression.

The holes in the airbox will kill potentially torque.

www.calverscorner.com

I remember reading in Mini Magazine where he tested different induction systems on a carb'd 998cc A series engine....................

Standard airbox with a K&N filter (K&N filters are fairly highly regarded in the Mini scene)
Standard airbox with 6 18mm holes (IIRC) drilled into it with a K&N filter
K&N 'cone' filter

The standard drilled airbox came out on top IIRC :)

Like I said, injection may be a different kettle of fish...................

Well - Yes my car was just sitting there when I tested the holes... Which is why I can't really tell if it has lost any torque... Although it looks as if my rev counter doesn't shoot up as fast as it used to, although I may be wrong!

I have drilled 4 holes about (..............) that big.. and 9 holes about (....) that big. If you really want me to take a picture.. Then let me know...

Hopefully it has made a great performance gain and I should now be able to outrun a 2litre engine*.

*Dreaming :eek: ...

The extra "GO" is just her mind playing tricks on her :D.
How i mean is.. She hears a different noise as usual, prehaps a slightly more aggressive noise and thinks she is going faster...

If you're just after noise, get a K&N filter. I have one and the noise it great. Also as luciel (if he is still about). However it also takes warm air, hence why i am looking into bonnet vents or a letterbox :D

Back