Technical air bag warning light

Currently reading:
Technical air bag warning light

andy thrill

i have a 02 plate jtd elx which i have recently purchased,the air bag warning light is glowing red anbody any ideas what might be wrong,iwas hoping not to get an niggles with this car but how wrong was i

If its anything like my brand new Panda, its the passenger compartment one that can be turned off with a key in the glove compartment. Turn it off, and see if it does it. If it stops warning you, then its a faulty relay ( harmless ) but you should get it seen too.

Note, that you must have the warning light showing within 80 miles of going to the garage or they will not have the data on the ECU.

Yes, there is a key switch in the drivers glove compartment which will turn off the passenger airbag. I have to have mine turned off as my 6 year old daughter insists on sitting up front on her booster seat (although she goes in the back for very long journeys).

Turn your key in it and see if it goes away.

andy thrill said:
i have a 02 plate jtd elx which i have recently purchased,the air bag warning light is glowing red anbody any ideas what might be wrong,iwas hoping not to get an niggles with this car but how wrong was i

Needs to go to a dealer,not too common on multiplas but have came across a few.

Dont know where te 80miles for data to be read comes from:confused: a fault is logged immediately the fault appears/occurs.There are no relays in the airbag system.

had a little fiddle with the wires underneath the drivers seat today and noticed that one of them had some kind of insulation tape around it,a bit worrying i must say,and i have also had to adjust the seat position a cuple of times since ive had the car,although none of the wires appeared loose i did inspect each one to the best of my abblity,im not at all qulafied but hay its worth a look,and when i started the engine low and behold the red airbag light is no longer lit,im sure i should go bach to my dealer but if theres no light on why shouldi,can anbody tell me if this could be an intermitent fault or could i of solved the problem with my little tweaking. thanks for all your replies

T14086 said:
Needs to go to a dealer,not too common on multiplas but have came across a few.

Dont know where te 80miles for data to be read comes from:confused: a fault is logged immediately the fault appears/occurs.There are no relays in the airbag system.

I switched off my airbag ( passenger side ) to stop the warning coming on whilst I was driving. Went to Fiat a week later and they couldn't find a logged problem and told me I must come in within 130 kilometers ( 80 miles ) of the error occurring. I did this.

Wrt relay, I meant the assembly behind the lock barrel, there was a fault there that I translated into english as relay. Just the mechanics words.

andy thrill said:
im sure i should go bach to my dealer but if theres no light on why shouldi,can anbody tell me if this could be an intermitent fault or could i of solved the problem with my little tweaking. thanks for all your replies

Can I just say, without being alarmist, that you really should go to a trustworthy main dealer. At this point you don't know if what you have done prevents the airbag being deployed, or not. If it is an intermittent fault, then you are playing Russian Roulette with it in the event of a crash. Unless someone on here can provide some assurance as to how he can be certain that it is entirely fixed.

ivantate said:
I'm sure if you turn the airbag off you get a yellow light on the dash board.

If its red it will indicate a problem.

Actually yes, the lights are different. The light for that passenger air bag shows amber and features a baby in a reverse fitted child seat. The Drivers side one is red and lights up momentarily upon ignition as the air bag is charged.

So yes, maybe there is a problem.

Can see there being a problem if the light has gone off.

I am guessing the parts that can cause a problem are the,
seat switches
wiring
a deacceleration sensor
or either of the 2 airbags.

Are there any other parts to the airbag system?
Are there seatbelt tensioners that will also cause a problem?

ivantate said:
Can see there being a problem if the light has gone off.

I am guessing the parts that can cause a problem are the,
seat switches
wiring
a deacceleration sensor
or either of the 2 airbags.

Are there any other parts to the airbag system?
Are there seatbelt tensioners that will also cause a problem?

Airbag ECU,clockspring but I honestly advise against messing about with any of these!!!

Most problems(i'd say 95%)is due to wring not faulty components.

I also have air bag light problem with my drivers air bag -red light, which I also by accident resolved by moving the wiring under the seat, now i have used cable clips to hold it in place and on restart the light went out, but occasionaly when i go over some bumps it comes on again, then goes out after a while,so I think its the wiring under the seat the gets moved by vibration so its not a good connection, But I have never taken it to dealers for six monthsnow -but I supose if it stayed on all the time it may be a fault with the airbag, hope this helps.

Back