Technical Air bag warning light

Currently reading:
Technical Air bag warning light

Thanks for the note of appreciation Glowplug. I've always believed when possible to do the simple fix. Some would rather do the professional, expensive one, and others would rather you came to them to have it done!

Incidentally, there's no stored error in mine either, when recently scanned by a FIAT dealer. With presumably up to date kit. (y)

If the airbag light is (or has ) been on there will be logged fault even if light goes out again, the airbag ECU can also check the operation of the warning light circuit aswell. I'm afraid I cannot explain why you were told there was no error when obviously there was.

Even the older examiner equipment is capable of reading airbag system on a multipla, I can only assume (perhaps wrongly?) the garage were unable to interpret the fault or dare I say were simply not bothered:(

Well what I have found is that my 2003 model is NOT OBD-II compliant which could explain why my test meter is not picking up the error if one exists. I have heard of some software that is able to fully interrogate a Fiat system so am going to try and lay my hands on that and will report back.

Most other cars I have owned allow you to read off codes from the MIL. I am a bit disappointed that the Multipla does not.....or maybe it does??

The airbag light coming on is usually caused by the connector which sits on the floor under the the front passenger seat (at the left hand side front of the seat if you're facing the front of the car). There's some discussion about this in other forums.

The problem is caused by corrosion within the wires where they are crimped into the metal of the actual connector. The suggested remedy was to use electrical contact cleaner (£4.50 at Maplin's) to clean out the corrosion. I did this, but the light came back on within an hour.

I resolved it by cutting the three wires at each side of the connector and replacing it with a small electrical connector block - if I'd had to buy it it would probably be about 75p for a connector strip.

Problem instantly resolved, and has stayed fixed for the last couple of days. So fingers crossed!

I'm a new forum member with an 05 JTD Eleganza and i had the same problem. However, with a quick spray of WD40 into the connection block so far so good.

Back