Technical After market radio & more. MultiECUScan?

Currently reading:
Technical After market radio & more. MultiECUScan?

Marcel de Hoog

My van is a Ducato 2.3 MJ from 2012, and has Blue&Me with an ancient TomTom device. When I replace this all by an aftermarket Android radio, everything works as long as I do not try to use the canbus module. As soon as I plug that one in, the cars computer goes crazy (dashboard no longer turned of, doors do not lock, etc).

Also, the van had parking sensors on the back which I disabled (tow bar with bikerack made it unusuable), which results in an error on my dashboard.

Local dealer says they cannot fix either, but searching on this forum tells me it can be done with MultiECUScan. Now I do not mind buying software and an adapter cable, but: how safe is it? Can I always return back to the current set-up?

This from what ive read not personal experience.
The can bus is throwing a fit because it is looking for something that is no longer there.
first get a working set up of Multiecuscan. Adaptor and cable then free version to prove you can connect, then get the registered version (or buy kit from distributor like Gendan and it will work). Use the simulate mode to get used to the software. (to play with it without accidently causing grief).
if you can, return to the standard configuration with the radio.
then backup the proxi alignment as instructions below.
Then remove radio and assemble/ fit new system.

Check there are no error codes on any part of the system or the proxi may not work.
When it all works do a proxi scan.
This tells the canbus system what is there, so all error measages are a distant memory

I ve done the backup myself, slightly daunting. Practice in simulate mode.

With Multiecuscan to backup the proxi settings:

Connect to the body computer using the CAN setup/Proxi Alignment menu.

Go to the "Adjustments" tab.

Press Ctrl+Alt+C on your keyboard.

A window will open entitled "Custom Proxi" containing a string of hexadecimal characters. Be careful not to alter anything in the window, but select the entire contents by dragging your mouse cursor over them to highlight them. (They may already be highlighted when the box opens).

Copy the string of characters into a Hex editor. You can use a simple text editor such as Notepad in Windows, but if not using a Hex editor you need to be certain that the editor you use will not write additional line feeds or other "invisible" characters to the file either on saving it or copying it back.

Save the copied file in your editor of choice to your computer with a suitable name that will help you identify it later.

You can then close the MES "Custom Proxi" window and close MES, or carry on with a Proxi Alignment or whatever else you want to do.

If you've written a new Proxi file to the vehicle and want to revert to the original, repeat the procedure to the point where you have opened the Custom Proxi window in MES. This time, delete the contents. Open you saved file in the editor, copy the contents in a similar way and paste them into the Custom Proxi window in MES.

Close the window and complete a Proxi Alignment to write the file back to the body computer and the slave nodes on the vehicle.

Edit: Forgot to add, if you open MES in simulation mode without connecting to a vehicle, you can open a specimen "Custom Proxi" window as above and copy and save or paste back the contents as much as you like without changing anything.

Thank you!

Already had ordered a cable, which appeared to be a wrong one so I sent it back. Will look for the right one and order it, so within a few weeks I can start on this. Will update this topic once I worked with it.

Well it has been a while, but today I removed the error for the parking sensors, and removed the blue & me with a proxt alignment. All went perfect (bought a good cable and the software).

However, still the same issue with the radio's module: When connected, I can no longer power off the car fully, or lock it. The volume control on steering wheel works though. Might have to verify with seller about the module.

When I do not connect the canbus module of the radio, all works well, except of course the integration with the car (like steering wheel controls, keep power on radio after turning off, reading values from computer, etc)). As soon as I connect the module, it goes wrong.

Now I have contacted the seller to verify I have the correct module, and I also have seen somewhere that you can tell the radio what car it is in, so I will give that a go as well. Need to remove the radio for that to access the module though, so probably will wait until weekend.

With the radio in have you done a new proxi alignment (to tell the car it has a new unit) this is a guess not knowledge.
Well I tried that first, but when I start the can setup it says all is up to date and no alignment is needed. Weird enough the modules functionality works right away, it just interferes with the rest of the cars functionality.

Sorry but we are now well beyond my "expertise". Back to the vendors suggestions.

An alternative to Multiecuscan is AlfaOBD an android application used for Fiat group and Chrysler Dodge Jeep vehicles. It has a more extensive range of Body ECM controls and radio diagnostics. I have a copy on my phone and BT OBD2 device permamently in van. It does the normal OBD2 stuff plus more i havent got a clue about.
The radio section has a list that includes:
vin write
reset ecu
ecu current setting
country code configuration
Screenshot_20220105-173205_AlfaOBD.jpg
Screenshot_20220105-173213_AlfaOBD.jpg

Last edited:
Back