500 (Electric) After a bit of a break-another FIAT but this time electric!

Currently reading:
500 (Electric) After a bit of a break-another FIAT but this time electric!

Hello all,

It was only when I took delivery of this one that I realised how many FIATs and Alfas we've had over the years (must be suckers for punishment!!). I've had two Unos, two Bravos (the 1990s one and the 2000s one) a Seicento and two Alfas if they count-a 147 and a Mito.

In fairness we have had very few problems (except with the 147 which was definitely a Friday afternoon car).

Anyway, I decided it was time for something small and electric and looked at lots of options. My feeling was that the 500 wasn't the best at anything but was the best overall package.

I'm blown away by this thing. The build quality is immense-far better than the VW ID3 for example IMHO. Everything about it ooses quality. The new UConnect is incredibly good and the screens are pin sharp. The one issue I have is that the rear numberplate light doesn't work and because it's an LED and not user replaceable, it's been booked in for that.

I'd certainly like to share experiences with other 500 Electric owners or anyone else who has questions!

Greg.

Hi Greg :)

Well..6 weeks in.. what have you found?

I would like to try one.. but range just isnt enough in the present climate

So have bought the end of line FIRE 500 instead for my unsupported 220 mile trips
I absolutely love it! It feels properly quick, the build and finish is fantastic and it drives amazingly. Realistic range in the cold UK winter seems to be about 150-160 miles depending on speed etc but will no doubt be better in the summer. Even the charging is good. I've been to chargers where owners of other cars (Merc, Hyundai, even Tesla) have complained about the charger not working with their car and mine has connected first time.

I've only had two problems, one pretty tiny and a bigger one.

1) On one occasion the wireless Apple CarPlay dropped connection. Wireless CarPlay is pretty great though and I've probably made 100+ journeys in it already so that's not a big deal and I'm sure if there is a bug, it will be solved by an OTA update (which the system has). The onboard Sat Nav though is so good that I often use that. It even tells you your average speed through an ave speed camera zone as you're going through it which is genius.

2) More serious. When I took delivery of the car, the rear numberplate light was faulty. I can't really blame the dealership I bought it from (Ponthir outside Newport, S Wales) because the warning only comes up when it's dark. Because it's an LED, it needs to be replaced by a dealer, so I called my local one (Vospers in St Austell). Initially it seemed they didn't know if they could work on EVs at all but then told me that their engineer had just been trained. I took it in (20 mile drive), and left it with them. When I came back, they told me they didn't have the tool for the job. Surely any dealer should have the tools if not the parts? This was nearly a month ago and despite being promised a call back when the tool arrived, I've heard nothing. I must admit my experience with Fiat dealers in the past has been hit and miss. The service from Ponthir was amazing for example at all times but even my enquiry experience with Vospers in Exeter was along the lines of "we'll let you have the car if you take paint protection and GAP insurance". It really sounds like Fiat don't give their dealers the same guidance and support other brands do, thus the inconsistency? Before any Fiat dealers are offended, my point is that you may well be great, but some of the others aren't and that's not great from Fiat's point of view.

I absolutely love it! It feels properly quick, the build and finish is fantastic and it drives amazingly. Realistic range in the cold UK winter seems to be about 150-160 miles depending on speed etc but will no doubt be better in the summer. Even the charging is good. I've been to chargers where owners of other cars (Merc, Hyundai, even Tesla) have complained about the charger not working with their car and mine has connected first time.

I've only had two problems, one pretty tiny and a bigger one.

1) On one occasion the wireless Apple CarPlay dropped connection. Wireless CarPlay is pretty great though and I've probably made 100+ journeys in it already so that's not a big deal and I'm sure if there is a bug, it will be solved by an OTA update (which the system has). The onboard Sat Nav though is so good that I often use that. It even tells you your average speed through an ave speed camera zone as you're going through it which is genius.

2) More serious. When I took delivery of the car, the rear numberplate light was faulty. I can't really blame the dealership I bought it from (Ponthir outside Newport, S Wales) because the warning only comes up when it's dark. Because it's an LED, it needs to be replaced by a dealer, so I called my local one (Vospers in St Austell). Initially it seemed they didn't know if they could work on EVs at all but then told me that their engineer had just been trained. I took it in (20 mile drive), and left it with them. When I came back, they told me they didn't have the tool for the job. Surely any dealer should have the tools if not the parts? This was nearly a month ago and despite being promised a call back when the tool arrived, I've heard nothing. I must admit my experience with Fiat dealers in the past has been hit and miss. The service from Ponthir was amazing for example at all times but even my enquiry experience with Vospers in Exeter was along the lines of "we'll let you have the car if you take paint protection and GAP insurance". It really sounds like Fiat don't give their dealers the same guidance and support other brands do, thus the inconsistency? Before any Fiat dealers are offended, my point is that you may well be great, but some of the others aren't and that's not great from Fiat's point of view.
Good to hear another owner reporting and being sensible about the range. I'm overall positive so far too although have had a couple of niggles. I've had a main bulb fail and these are made from unobtainium (replaced under warranty from a display model), key fob battery fail after 3 months and the car resetting to kph (possible on the fly software update).

Other than that I think that Fiat really have bit the sweet spot with the 500e.

Good to hear another owner reporting and being sensible about the range. I'm overall positive so far too although have had a couple of niggles. I've had a main bulb fail and these are made from unobtainium (replaced under warranty from a display model), key fob battery fail after 3 months and the car resetting to kph (possible on the fly software update).

Other than that I think that Fiat really have bit the sweet spot with the 500e.
Couldn’t agree more. All the legacy manufacturers have had challenges with their first EVs.

I looked at a few and this one is fantastic. Beautifully put together, great to drive and really good software and tech generally.

I really wanted a Peugeot e208 but it was a bit pricy or a Honda E but the same problem plus awful range. I don’t think I’d swap the 500 for with of these now.

I really think that compared to all other small EVs, Fiat have smashed it with this.

I wonder if it’s a coincidence that the whole Stellantis thing has happened around about the same time as the first FCA EV? They’ve clearly got the right team to contribute to long term platforms.

Back