Advice Required. Infinity Comps. Jbl Amp / Sub - Wiring Kit???

Currently reading:
Advice Required. Infinity Comps. Jbl Amp / Sub - Wiring Kit???

Diss_50

A.K.A Pierre Van Punto
Ice People :p

I need a little advice. I have recently received a JBL GTO755.6 amplifier to complete my 'sound system'. I have a JBL GTO1220B Subwoofer and Infinity Reference 6500cs Components (90W rms).

I am hoping to bridge the sub and run the infinities off the amp too. What sort of wiring kit will I need to hook me up completely? Plans for new H/U although i have a Sony GT300 at the moment.

Help would be much appreciated as would other ideas. ;)

ps. Click on the bold underlined font to view specs and pics.

To wire the sub you will need a wiring kit consisting of a power cable that runs to the car battery, and wires that run to the amp (bridging two channels). For the comps you will just need some speaker wire. You will then have two channels left on your amp. . . possibly some replacement rear speakers?

Thanks lads,

Will I need a fuse on the cable that runs from the battery?

Cheers (y)

YES

Can't stress it enough. Put the fuse as close to the battery as feasibly possible (within a foot or so will be fine). That fuse protects the power cable from melting/creating fire should the current flowing through it goes above it's safe rating. Don't forget to put a grommet in the bulkhead if you need to.

Bridge the amp into 3 channel mode - should see you right. What's the fuse rating on the amp? Use that as a guide to what sort of gauge power cable you need - if it's over 80A, I would suggest you use 0awg. In fact, if there's a possibility that you night go for a meatier amp/s in the future, then consider buying 0awg now even if you don't quite need it - it'll save having to rip the wiring out if you do decide to upgrade :)

Okay folks, I have made up a diagram. Going to run the components and the sub bridged from the amp as Chaos said. I have done a diagram does this look correct? I would appreciate if some one could tell me what wires I need where and what guage I need. My amp has 2 30fuses in it - so what does that mean? sorry electronics aint my thing! :bang:

Diss_50.jpg

You need enough power cable to run the length of your car, keep the earth for the amp to chassis as short as possible, 2 foot should be more than enough. Fit the biggest you can, but 4 gauge min. A fuse holder with suitable fuse (80amp would be enough), suitable terminals for the power and earth leads, a run of remote turn on wire and a pair of RCAs.

You have a 6 channel amp so might be able to run the front end active (ie, one channel to each component, not using the crossover that comes with them) if it has suitable crossovers built in.

Last edited:
You need enough power cable to run the length of your car, keep the earth for the amp to chassis as short as possible, 2 foot should be more than enough. Fit the biggest you can, but 4 gauge min. A fuse holder with suitable fuse (80amp would be enough), suitable terminals for the power and earth leads, a run of remote turn on wire and a pair of RCAs.

You have a 6 channel amp so might be able to run the front end active (ie, one channel to each component, not using the crossover that comes with them) if it has suitable crossovers built in.

Cheers Paul, Just what I need. So if I run the front speakers off the amp, does this mean I wont need tweeters? or where does the power come for them? ;)

Cheers Paul, Just what I need. So if I run the front speakers off the amp, does this mean I wont need tweeters? or where does the power come for them? ;)

the components will have a crossover, you have your speaker wire from your amp going in and then two wires going out, one to the driver and one to the tweeter.

I'll try explain a little better - you have 6 channels available:

2 are for subwoofer duty, which will be bridged to drive one sub.

Which leaves 4 and two options, assuming the amp has onboard crossovers suitable.

1. You can bridge the two pairs, giving more power to your front end. This way you will have to use the passive crossover box that comes with the Infinitys. This will seperate the high frequency from the low.

2. You can use one pair to drive the 6.5" mids, the other to drive the tweeters. This option does away with the passive crossover box that comes with the speakers.

If done right, option 2 has potential to give you better sound quality as you can tailor the crossover points and gains to suit you car. Be warned though, getting it right ain't easy!!!!

I used to have a 5 channel amp and ran mine "option 2" style and was quite an improvement over option 1. Took some fiddling though.

Back