advice please.....

Currently reading:
advice please.....

Alex B

well first of all hi, i dont post in here very often but thought i would for a change. just like some other people opinions really. basically im at a cross roads in my life, im 17 and have dropped out of sixth form just over two months ago. for the record i have 2 A*/3 A/the rest Bs+Cs at GCSE, i never have any intention of going to uni which is why i dropped out of sixth.since then ive been working full time in a printer shop (sure thing the money is great but not what i intend on doing for the rest of my life:( ) realistically i want to learn a trade, i know at first it seems like not much to aspire too but both my brothers and father are in one trade or another (my dads very successful owns his own decorating firm).

anyway would just appriciate some guidance :rolleyes:

I dropped out of 6th form too, couldnt take being at school any longer. Went and got a job at an assurance company and while i was on more pay than most people i went to school with i didnt want to stay there either, plus the job isnt very secure with call centres and customer services moving abroad etc...

So i got an apprenticeship to get a trade behind me as well. Now i do mechanical engineering for a company that manufacture and assemble race car gearboxes and plus the pay isnt bad either for an apprenticeship :)

Finding a job you enjoy takes more than just qualifications. I have three close friends who were all in the special remedial class at school (mode 3 it was called in the 70's) who have all successfully managed their own businesses from the day they left school. Not a single CSE (GCSE now?)Infinately more happy in their work than I am despite my level of senior management in a software company.

When you find a job you love to do you never have to work again.

This isn't really too relevant but i was in the same situation as you about 3 months ago. I'm in 6th form at school (final year) and didn't want to go to uni. But then someone or something suddenly changed my mind.

I was going to drop out but then thought - i've done a year and a bit so why not see it to the end.

I decided to do a HND in computing, but then decided i may as well do the full degree at uni (late ucas entry).

Its think its good to have qualifications; despite what people say as many businesses still look at them and with so many going into higher education you have to compete so much for jobs these days - its not the way it should work, but it does so i followed suit. I'm hoping three years of uni will pay off (and if it doesn't you dont pay the loan back untill you earn 15k anyway - surely thats an indication of the level of payment following it - unless im too gulable.).

Alex; i would try and find some kind of apprenticeship in september in electrical or plumbing (still in short supply). As you've said its a life long skill and we're always need electrcians and plumbers even as we move on in time.

Sorry for digressing slightly :D Alex,
Matt

cheers guys, just reinforced my initail idea really which is good, havnt really had much support off family or gf as they all wanted me to stay on at college. was always going to be plumbing as my bros a sparkie. (y)

Certain Fields need a University Degree of Education: Law, Pharmacuiticles (sp) Medicine, Architectual Construction etc,

Certain Fields really dont: Media, Product Design, Art, Management etc.

If you really know what you want to do, then ask the re;evant companies what they want from an employee. Sometimes you can get in with a portfolio or after a trial period. If you have friends in the industry which you wish to enter, ask for the hook up. Remember, someone with experience will always (90% of the time) be employed over someone with a certificate.

Don't leave education and do nothing, even if you go into further education and your degree ends up not amounting to much, you will have got the extra social life AND learned a few things you didn't know before :)

Back