Advice Please.

Currently reading:
Advice Please.

T

Tony Kibble

I am in the market for a second hand car, and at the top of my provisional list is a Bravo. Is the car as good as it looks, what should I look out for to make sure I don't pick up a duff one and what are the potential pitfalls of owning one. I have gone through this forum and there seems to be a few problems that seem to crop up regularly, are these symptomatic of the car or is this a case of bad news always being broadcast and good news being ignored?
Also is there much difference between the 1.6 and the 1.8 to care about?
Looking forward to your responses.

Buy Buy buy

What you say is right, some people only post
messages here when they need help with a problem,
which is what is good about this site.

But also many people also post messages here to ask
how to modify the cars, or where to get various parts
for them, and also to say how much they love their
Bravos.

In any other car Web site you will find messages of
people selling their cars etc, but I think there are
no messages of people selling their Bravos here
because everyone who has one doesn't what to change
it - Buy one yourself and get hooked!

As for 1.6 or 1.8, Mmmmm, I have a 1.6 and it is great
for me, I don't go racing but the car is plenty fast for
me. If it was any faster the wife would propably crash it!!
Also the 1.6 is only Group7 in UK insurance groups. Not
sure what the 1.8 is.
I have never driven a 1.8 myself- some one else will tell
you about it.
Which ever you get you'll get a great car, with great looks,
great handling and a big smile on your face when you push
the loud pedal!!

S.

do it

Taking a close look you'll always find things to improve, and that's what people do on this forum.
Nut the problems are not more frequent than with VW, Volkswagen or any other brand.
I myself cannot fall in love with a car, because i see them as functional but still couldn't resist the charms of the Bravo - the looks and the feels. My TD100 runs like hell and never had any problems, besides of some squeaks in the door.
So i'd say : go for it !

Untitled

Through a combination of test drives and loan cars whilst mine is being serviced I have driven 1.4, 1.6 and 1.8. I have the 155 HGT.

Anyway, my overall impression is that if small niggles like minor intermitent rattles annoy you - get something else, I have a few that come and go. On the other hand the engineering is good; mechanically the HGT has been excellent and performance superb.

I have found a big difference across the range, the spongy long-travel brakes of 1.4 & 1.6 were awful. The 1.4 engine seemed very rough, especially on cold starts - lots of revving by the engine management system. The 1.8 was considerably better - though brakes were still hard to like (I think it's down to being the all disks (HGT) versus disks & drums of other models though). Interior and kit certainly improves dramatically as you go up the range (check www.fiat.com, the uk site is crap for info).

If you can afford it, I would try for a 1.8HLX as minimum, and if you can, get the 2nd generation. Oh, and service history + full set of keys (see other postings) is a must!!

Thanks...

...for your input guys, it has been most helpful.I think that I was already swayed in the choice but you have helped to confirm it.Speak to you again on here when I get my car!!

Thanks again.