Advice on vehicle purchase.

Currently reading:
Advice on vehicle purchase.

If I had a pound for everytime that question had been asked on the Mazda 3 forums..

I'd have at least 3 quid...

There's no fairing over them etc, just a lamp unit hanging on the clips on the bumper. Unless they do it entirely different on a 2.
Just went for a look see on that one that was parked in the main road yesterday - but, of course, it isn't there today. Maybe a commuter? Anyway I've been looking at ebay for Mazda 2 rear bumpers and come across quite a few, two of which gave a really good view of where the lights are. Looks like it's just a gaping hole without any "closing" panel around the lights. Here's one which gives a good look at it:
Still intending to take a squint at that one which is sometimes parked out in the main road, but I think that's just how it is, in essence a gaping hole with two wee light units at either side. Mind you it's only visible if you get down on your knees and stick your head under the bumper. Not visible when just standing behind the car.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Ah well, that's looking promising. Just got an email back from the supplier of the wheel who says he's sorry it doesn't fit, although his info is it should, but he accepts the pictures I sent which clearly show it doesn't. He's going to send me a 15 inch wheel with a 125/70R15 tyre on it which he says should do the job. Although I'm having this extra hassle I'm actually quite impressed with this supplier. He shipped next day at no extra cost and seems very keen to see me sorted out. Price was pretty good too. I don't yet know how the reorder is going to be handled, Will his shipper pick up the 16" wheel when delivering the new 15"? Will it cost me shipping? I don't know yet but I've asked him to advise me.

Rang the wheel supplier today because nothing seems to be happening. He said he thought it had been shipped but I pointed out I'd had no notice of shipping so I've to ring back tomorrow so he has time to check. The original order (wheel too big) will be collected by the shipper, who will have a return label for it when he delivers the smaller wheel, and will take it away at the same time. So, not quite sure what's going on, but hopefully more will be revealed tomorrow.

Oh, and the really exciting news is my boy has found his new car! It's a black - thought he said he'd never have a black car again? - 2017 Audi A4 Avant (estate) with the sport trim and 1.4 TFSI engine (This was one of the engines we favoured 150Hp which gives it enough "go" to be interesting but with good fuel economy if he drives it sensibly. It was a new arrival (part ex on Monday this week) at one of the dealers I've had looking out for me and we shot off to look at it as soon as he rang. Lovely car with just 35,000 miles on the clock. I spoke to the salesman who took the trade in and he was able to tell me it was an older couple who owned it and they traded it against another one, basically the same model but new. It hadn't yet been through their preparations dept but it looks well cared for, rear seats look brand new and the boot area has hardly a mark in it paint and body are perfect apart from one very small "dimple" high up on the bonnet and a small rubbed mark on the rear bumper where someone has dragged a case into the boot - might polish out. Thje bonnet dimple is a very shallow depression, could have been a golf ball? with the paint unbroken or marked and they have a paintless repair chap who is going to take it out. I checked the MOT record and it was comment free until last year when it had an advisory for worn brake pads and one rear tyre. Looking at the car all 4 discs and pads have been very recently renewed and both rear tyres are almost new - fronts about half worn. Just serviced last month with a full set of stamps in the service book. It drove very well indeed and we just about bit the salesman's hand off. As it was yet to go through their preparations dept for valeting and workshop checks, he collects it Saturday morning. I'm very envious of him, it's definitely the best "quality" car in the family fleet. However it's absolutely stuffed with technology which scares me rigid! I noticed auto lights and wipers, collision avoidance, auto climate control, "fancy" cruise control that does lots of stuff more than my simple "dumb" system. and so on and so on. I have been thinking, with my age and somewhat less than perfect health, that I really will have to row back on looking after family cars. I think this one is where I draw the line. Luckily a family friend is part owner of our local VAG indy so it's a no brainer really, he can look after it for us. The dealer gives a miserly standard 60 day warranty which covers pretty much everything but if we wanted further protection it would cost so we didn't take it - or all the other "extras" the salesman tried to download on us. I remember the commission on paint protection packages in particular was a nice wee perk. Luckily our friend's garage is approved for repairs by this dealership so he is going to take the car in for a day sometime towards the end of next week and go over it front to back and list anything he can find and then, if we approve, he'll negotiate with the dealership to repair under guarantee. I'll be surprised if he finds much but it means the car should be absolutely as good as it can be when he's finished and, hopefully, with just a £70 hour's labour charge for the examination.

Last edited:
If I had a pound for everytime that question had been asked on the Mazda 3 forums..

I'd have at least 3 quid...

There's no fairing over them etc, just a lamp unit hanging on the clips on the bumper. Unless they do it entirely different on a 2.
Just had the opportunity to crouch down and look up under the rear bumper of a 2013 Mazda2 - so exactly the same as daughter in law's 2014 car. There is no "finishing" panel over the number plate lights! I'm happy to now know that this is normal but have to say it's not a very elegant solution, looks "unfinished" and probably lets road muck get in behind the light fittings. Ah well, at least that's another wee mystery solved.

However it's absolutely stuffed with technology which scares me rigid! I noticed auto lights and wipers, collision avoidance, auto climate control, "fancy" cruise control that does lots of stuff more than my simple "dumb" system. and so on and so on.
To be fair modern electronics like this are actually quite simple. If something were to go wrong you'd just be changing a sensor or a module but they are so well engineered they don't tend to go wrong especially on car that's as young as this.

If it has the auto main beams, my advice is to use them as much as possible as they get more accurate the more they are used. They actually learn, if you ever disconnect the battery for any reason they seem to get dumb again

Back