Technical Advice on Uno Turbo.

Currently reading:
Technical Advice on Uno Turbo.

Hyperhart

Hi there, just joined the forum as i am looking to see if anyone can help me out.
For the passed 17 years i have always wanted an Uno Turbo but never got round to it, now before i get too old i have decided to get one as a project.
I think i have found the perfect one but need some advice on a few problems that have been listed.
The car in question is a 1994 MK2 and is being advertised as a non runner, speaking to the chap selling the ecu needs to be replaced, car has a clifford alarm fitted but when it was towed the alarm has gone into shutdown mode thinking the car was being stolen. He has had someone look over it and they are saying something about a coded key to go with the ecu, anyone heard of anything like this. If i need a new ecu could i plug in one from a Punto Turbo as it would be easier to source one of these instead.
Secondly you can not select any gears and have been told its the slave cylinder, could there be anything else it could be.

Please someone give me some good news so i can fulfill my childhood dream.
Cheers Dave.

Last edited:
No keycode in the Uno ECU as far as I know mate. The key just turns the lock nothing coded about it (unless it’s been retrofitted with Punto GT management).

Maybe it’s an alarm thing? Best thing to do would be to get rid of the alarm and start by checking crank pulley sensor, Flywheel sensor and continuity of the various wires to the ECU before replacing it. Could be just 1 broken wire inside the loom or a knackered alarm. where is the start sequacne getting to? is the pump priming at the turn of the key, will the starter turn, are you getting a spark, any fuel from the injectors? depends if it's been stood for ages too.

Without the engine running you should be able to select gears if all is well with the gearbox and linkage.

I’d suspect the linkage first – is it all floppy (like steering a helicopter)?

It's not white with a bonnet skoop by any chance is it?

Last edited:
Just been thinking about it, it must be the alarm as according to the guy it was running before. As for selecting gears i havent a clue as i havent seen the car yet.
I think i might just take a gamble on buying it as its cheap enough and if it works out to be too expensive to sort out i can always break it for spares.
Really only wanting as a weekend/show car as i have a 2004 Vectra GSi as my daily runner.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the silver colour coded mk2?

Lack of gear selection is 99% down to the master cylinder, I had the same problem a few years ago on my Mk2 UT.

In terms of it being expensive, 18 years has taken it toll on most of the original Turbo's so check EVERYWHERE and don't be afraid to take up carpets!

Take a screwdriver with interchangeable heads and a magnet. If you buy and decide to break, come over to www.turbocollective.net

Yep that will be the one, wanted a MK1 but being rare now and decent ones are silly money i can't afford one. With this one it will give me something to do in my spare time.
As for the ecu part of it, i really can't see how the alarm would have affected it.

I would realy like to hear it run before purchasing, may only be down to the alarm but him saying coded keys when ut's never had immobiliser coded ecu's makes me wonder, he could of disabled the electrics to hide an engine fault, thus leaving you with a nest of vipers of probs, would have to be cheap cheap Ant!

DAMN IT, my dreams could all be over by the weekend, a member on the above mentioned forum is going to go look at it over the weekend and i can't register with them to inform of my interest. Not going to be happy if i miss out.

Right more info, the ecu was replaced before and was supplied with a coded key. Coded key is not available and the chap selling has been informed that the original coded key would be needed to reset/reprogram the ecu. What are the other options.

Just get another ecu from a mk2 turbo, sure someone will have a spare one, should only be about £50-£70. Scout about, i bet dunc uno turbo on turbocollective.net will no doubt have a spare.

Dan

The Uno turbo does not have a coded key. The ECU is not at all able to accept anything like that. It will not need a new ecu. Whatever security has been added must be aftermarket or retrofitted and therefore could be removed. If it's a retrofit from a different car and the owner cant get it to work just walk away. Or learn learn quick about automotove electronics.

Not bothered about it now, someone beat me to the car.
So my dream is in tatters, so if people can keep an ear out for me i'm still after a cheap Turbo for a project.

Back