advice on insurance / tax

Currently reading:
advice on insurance / tax

Hi all,

just need a bit of advice, we have just bought a second car and before i can pick it up it will need to be taxed. If i bought temp / 1 day insurance to get the car home onto my drive would i be able to tax the car with the cover note? also are there any companys that will email you the cover note as i dont want to wait days for it to turn up

cheers

yorobbo

Hi all,

just need a bit of advice, we have just bought a second car and before i can pick it up it will need to be taxed. If i bought temp / 1 day insurance to get the car home onto my drive would i be able to tax the car with the cover note? also are there any companys that will email you the cover note as i dont want to wait days for it to turn up

cheers

yorobbo

no you cant tax on temp insurance.
this is stated on the company T&C's

some will allow download of policy docs but many post offices wont accept it.

cheers mate, i was afraid of this...so i am caught in a grey area again. if i phone my insurance company it is gonna take days for my cover to arrive, although i will be covered rightaway this is still going to be a problem for me as i can't tax the vehiclke without the certificate

Hi all,

cheers

yorobbo

Hi
You can usually add a car you own to your existing policy for 7 days, say, (i.e. 2 cars on 1 policy), get the cover note first class the next day & tax it with that.

I have taxed cars on temporary insurance via my usual insurer as Tim suggests and have also used e-mail from A-plan and Adrian Flux for tax purposes. Just print the whole lot of paperwork off, fold it all up as if it had been in an envelope and your average DVLA/ post office person won't know the difference IME.

Last edited:
Back