Advice On Insurance Claim

Currently reading:
Advice On Insurance Claim

kashem58

hey all

my care recently got broken into, like an idiot i am i left my CD player in the car by accident, and some moftherfcker broke into my car by popping the lock out, damaged the body work around it and now you can open the door with you damn FINGER!

they also broken the middle air vent (where the CD player is housed)

i was wondring if its a good idea calming the repair through insurance? because i aint got no claim bonus and my insurance is sky high at the moment.

is it better to fill in the damange with either metal plating or carbon fibre glass, or get the insurance to do it (this will include getting a brand new door with the same colour, lock fixed)

only problem is with the insurance is that it might take them £90 to fix it and charge me over £200 while at the same time increase my insurace premium next year by £300.

advice would be much appreciated...

thanks

car is a fiat punto mk2 V reg (1999)

I'd claim on insurance. I had the same thing happen to me when I was 17 on my first car. Broke through the body work, opened door, ripped out stereo knackering the air vent and the wiring loom :(. I claimed on insurance and it came to £1250!!. Luckily the vandalism excess was only £100 :). It also didn't count as a claim (y). This might depend on insurer so make sure you find out before claiming.

thanks chris for the reply, as i am with a brooker insurer i think they are gonna count the repair as a claim which i carnt aford to loose, i need NCB,

Hey from experience here is my advise

Get a quote for how much repair is to your vehicle for the lock and the vent (from a scrapyard might be cheaper) then see if this exceeds the value of your excess? if your excess is £400 then it might be more cost effective for you to not claim off your insurance (which is legal) and get it sorted private.

As you do not have any NCB/NCD and looking to build this up then by claiming you will lose however much entitlement you have built up, if you are 11months into the policy it might not be such a good idea to claim and lose them 11 months, where as if it is just a month or 2 months in then maybe this is your best route,

Also how old are you if you do not mind me asking, as if you are 17/18/19/20/21 then claiming might not affect your premium too much as insurance still reduces at this age range quite rapidly, where as a theft claim can either increase your excess in some cases or it can increase your premium slightly if you are in a 'high' risk area for vehicle crime :eek:

HTH

Crazy

Hey from experience here is my advise

Get a quote for how much repair is to your vehicle for the lock and the vent (from a scrapyard might be cheaper) then see if this exceeds the value of your excess? if your excess is £400 then it might be more cost effective for you to not claim off your insurance (which is legal) and get it sorted private.

As you do not have any NCB/NCD and looking to build this up then by claiming you will lose however much entitlement you have built up, if you are 11months into the policy it might not be such a good idea to claim and lose them 11 months, where as if it is just a month or 2 months in then maybe this is your best route,

Also how old are you if you do not mind me asking, as if you are 17/18/19/20/21 then claiming might not affect your premium too much as insurance still reduces at this age range quite rapidly, where as a theft claim can either increase your excess in some cases or it can increase your premium slightly if you are in a 'high' risk area for vehicle crime :eek:

HTH

Crazy

hey crazy dave thanks for the reply!! well am 22 but trust me my insurance aint gonna get any lower because i live in a high crime area!.

i did phone up the insurance and they dont me it WILL affect my NCB.

i have worked it out
the lock on the car CANNOT BE FIXED this is due to the damage around the lock (its been spread open).

my only options are

-get insurance to fix it (my insure told me its better to do it private!)
-look for a door at scrap yards (its gonna be hard to find as i need one in my year and model, most of the garage take the inside of the door out.)
-or repair the door damage with metal plating and fibre glass it.

i think am more likely to go for the 3rd point...

anyway guys thanks for your help!!! it was much appricated!

Back