Technical Advice needed

Currently reading:
Technical Advice needed

Lyonsa

I am really hoping that someone can give me some advice, as I am totally ignorant on cars.

Bought our first ever car, a 94 punto 60 a month ago, and on advice from a work collegue we changed the timing belt. On returning the car told us that it was a cut and shut, the suspension is rotting and the brake fluid pump (his words) is also rotting - even though we are NOT having any probs with them. Can't get back in touch with the person we bought the car from, so I started trying to find out as much as I can first (dont want to spend anymore money until I find out its worth it). My mate looked at the suspenion at the back and said it looked fine- a little corrosion he reckons caused by heat from the exhaust.
When I showed where the cut'N'shut was (above the front wheel arches) he reckons it might have been rust covered over with a rubber substance, very unlikely place for cut'N'shut. Is this a common area for rust or am I just been very hopeful, stupid, desperate...... Is there a way I can tell for sure its a cut'N'shut other than going to a garage.
Are the susp and brakes big jobs to get done - or should I just count my losses.

All advice welcome - from divvy girl who should stay away from buying cars

pictures would be helpfull but anyway.it could have had the front end replaced and the 'rubber substance' is underseal which can hide a multitude of sins!![:(!]i take it you are on a budget and thats why you dont want to go to a garage then did you do an HPI check?also how much MOT has the car got?the reason i ask is if the car has been recently MOT'd then take it back there as any garage thats MOT's a cut n shut is risking losing there MOT license or you could take it to an MOT station and get a definitive answer,okay it costs £30 ish but you'll finally know for sure what is wrong or right with the car(tell the testers about you'r concerns so they give the car a good look over)i hope the car is legit but let us know how you get on and get back if you need any more help.

The Fiat Cinquecento
Fun While It Runs

I'd question the knowledge of the person who worked on your car as I've never heard of a "brake fluid pump" - maybe they mean the master cylinder or the servo? Get someone who really knows about cars to check it out.

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

MOT was issued in October

Just had someone qualified have a quick look at the master cylinder and he said there is nothing wrong with it. I think i will drop it in to them for a proper look at the weekend.

Thanks guys

I doubt it's a cut 'n' shut in the classic sense. It's very hard to do that with Puntos anyway as they have such precise bodywork (they were all built by robots) that it's usually more trouble than it's worth. Also, like you say, cut 'n' shuts are almost always joined around a pillar, and not halfway down the bonnet.

What's more likely is that the car has been in a front-end impact at some stage. There are lots of ways to gain evidence of this, different number plate suppliers on the front to the rear etc., take it to someone who knows what to look for (who really knows, and isn't just being a 'helpful' mate).

My guess is it's probably not the end of the world, even it was in a ding once, especially if it passed it's MOT in October. But if you're going to be sure, you're going to have to get someone to look at it, as the others have said.

Spirito di Punto | M-reg 55SX, black, 5dr. Clear repeaters. I'm fitting remote locking this week!!

Have you got any names/numbers/addresses of previous owners amongst the car's service history? If so then it could be worth contacting them to find out if the car has been involved in any accidents.

------/F/I/A/T/------

Fart In A Tin

Thanks guys

I am going to try book it into a garage for the weekend, and as ye said find out once and for all. In the meantime I will route through the paperwork and see what previous owners contacts I have or can get, and also good suggestion about the MOT issuing garage, I might just have to pay them a visit and do the eyelash bit [:X]

Back