General adjustable clutch?

Currently reading:
General adjustable clutch?

Alpine26

Hello

I'm finding I need to push the clutch all the way in to get it into first gear, otherwise it is difficult to get it in. The clutch is fairly new. I recall that the clutch can be adjusted, is that what is needed here? If so, how do I do it?

There is an adjuster at the gearbox end.
A couple of spanners needed, can't remember what size, about 11mm I think.

(assuming the Sporting is similar to the adjuster on my old 899)

yes, as above, adjustment nut on end of the cable at gearbox end..

adjustment specs are in the haynes, you get a feel for it once you've done it a few times but you measure the distance the pedal travels and adjust until its in spec.
But essentially what you are doing is tightening the cable until there no slack or tension in it and the clutch arm hasn't moved - too tight and the release bearing will drag on the pressure plate all the time and they'll wear fast, too slack and you don't quite get enough travel to fully release the clutch.

Hello

I'm finding I need to push the clutch all the way in to get it into first gear, otherwise it is difficult to get it in. The clutch is fairly new. I recall that the clutch can be adjusted, is that what is needed here? If so, how do I do it?

Probably just 'bedded in'

Yes 2 x 10mm spanners required at least one an open ender..

A tube : box spanner is good for this job ;)

cheers all

I have located the two nuts, I think the first one is a locking nut and it is the second one that adjusts the cable.

I need the point at which the clutch engages to be a little further away from the bulkhead. So do I need to lengthen the cable (so undue the nut), not shorten it?

Yes you need to tighten it.
The measuring distance is from the steering wheel to the pedal.
I’ll check my old Haynes later for the measurement unless someone else replies before then.

Am having trouble holding the cable still while I turn the nut on the end, the cable is turning. What's the best way to hold the cable in place? Access is tight.

Am having trouble holding the cable still while I turn the nut on the end, the cable is turning. What's the best way to hold the cable in place? Access is tight.

17mm deep reach on the nut and moles on the threads worked ok for me yesterday

Attachments

• PXL_20210408_132116510.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210408_132116510.MP.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 35
Back