Adding A Pre-Out RCA Connection

This guide explains how to use your existing (If you have a factory sub) subs wiring loom, to add a pre-amp RCA connection.

If you dont have an exisiting sub you can use your rear speakers connection by either taking the car to bits to get to the speakers directly, or from the back of the head unit its self.

02092007048.jpg

02092007050.jpg

From the above diagram split into the appropriate rear speaker feeds and run a line to the rear of the car.

However for the rest of the guide we will assume that you are replacing the factory sub.

Remove the factory sub by removing the three 5mm torque screws holding the sub in place.

21082007034.jpg

When the AMP is free remove the white plastic block connector from the rear and remove the AMP.

21082007035.jpg

With the AMP removed You can now examine the block connector.

connectorfrontsu1.jpg

connectorsideky1.jpg

The pins of this connector are as follows:---

Code:-

1 3 4 5 7
+------+----+
|0 0 0 | 0 0 |
|0 +---+ 0 0 |
+--+---+----+
2 6 8

1. Remote 12V+ switched (grey)
2. Continuous 12V+ (red/white)
3. Ground (-) (black)
4. not connected
5. Speaker right - (blue/black)
6. Speaker right + (blue/red)
7. Speaker left - (orange/black)
8. Speaker left + (red/grey)

Using the following addaptor or similar, splice into the left and right speaker feeds and the ground wires. Once completed you should mask off the wires to avoid shorts.

I have also reconnected the plugs original connections to allow me to reconnect the original at a later date, should I decide to sell the car.

12916.jpg

http://www.motor-world.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod_id=12916

You should now have a fully working pre-amp connection to use with your amplifier.

04092007053.jpg

:devil: :devil: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer: :slayer:

Last edited:

micheloe

Nice to see my howto was of any use to you! (y)

I didn't know of the existence of such a passive speaker to line-level convertor. I once bought an active one (which needs 12V as well) for around 14 euros, which also had adjustable input sensitivity. I bought it before I knew the amp I bought supported speaker-level input as well... :eek:

Nice howto! :)

Kind regards,
Michel

Mayatt

White Grande Sporting
good guide, however do you use the switched power from the original sub to the remote on input on the amp?

Mayatt

White Grande Sporting
Using the following addaptor or similar, splice into the left and right speaker feeds and the ground wires.

and whats the benefeit of connecting the ground wire? not entirely sure how you would connect this to the adapter?

DannyBoy88

Roll On Down Dolly
But if i'm right this isn't actually a pre-out, this is a high power supply and connecting this into a normal phono in on an amp would cause some damage!

this should only be used if you have an amp with a high level input

however after trawling FF for the info on how to wire an actual pre out and having no luck, i've managed to find a pin list for blaupunkt head unit

temp.jpg

1 Pre Out Rear Left
2 Pre Out Rear Right
3 Pre Out Ground
4 Pre Out Front Left
5 Pre Out Front Right
6 Amp Switch +12v
7 Telephone In +
8 Telephone In -
9 Radio Mute
10 Switch Supply +12v
11 Remote Control
12 RC Ground
13 Cd Changer Data In
14 Cd Changer Data Out
15 Permanent 12v
16 Switched 12v
17 Bus Ground
18 Aux In Ground
19 Aux In Left
20 Aux In Right

Hope this helps everyone

jbartlett83

Hey,
I have a 58 plate 5 door sporting 120 tjet with the additional subwoofer, blue&me etc and want to upgrade my sound system with a sub and amp. is the above method (using the existing sub wiring) the best way to connect teh sub/amp as apposed to running new wiring from the HU? I have no idea about wiring or car modifications so am a compelte newbie. Also could someone re-link to that adapter as it seems to be broken. I did have a look around the net for a diff one and found a few but I have no idea if they are the same thing. Are all fiat grande punto standard cd players made by Blaupunkt? Any help is much appreciated!

spooners22

Hey i have a 07 plate sporting mjet 130bhp.the rear speakers are behind the drivers seat is there any way of wiring a sub to the existing speaker wiring??

Alpinev12

Hi,

I´ve an 2007 Grande Punto 1.3 Mjet with blue&me but whithout a factory sub.

Does anyone now if the factory radio has a way to connect an amplifier?

Does it has any exit that I can use to connect an amplifier?

Regards,

Alpinev12

This is not a pre amp feed!!! This could damage your amp in theory, as this method is a speaker level feed. This can be proved by connecting a speaker up to pins 5 and 7 or 6 and 8, if you get sound, you have an amped speaker level feed. I tried this yesterday and got sound from the speaker.
You need to use a level line converter that takes high level input and converts it to a pre amped low level RCA connection.

As for DannyBoy88's post, this only applies to aftermarket Blaupunkt headunits and not the factory fit product.

simonUK

I dont have the feed for the stock speaker in the back and I am wishing to install a JBL bass pro just to provide a bit of bass. Do i take a feed off only one speaker for the Phono connections or both. Iam assuming just one. Ill probably replace the rear speakers whilst Iam at it seen as changing the front one did the world of difference.

vivekrj

however after trawling FF for the info on how to wire an actual pre out and having no luck, i've managed to find a pin list for blaupunkt head unit

View attachment 63930

1 Pre Out Rear Left
2 Pre Out Rear Right
3 Pre Out Ground
4 Pre Out Front Left
5 Pre Out Front Right
6 Amp Switch +12v

Hope this helps everyone

You mean these ISO pins can be used to get perfect PREOUTs, after adding that adapter you have shown.

OK... prob some clarity needed here...

For units without the stock sub installed, there are these unused pins on the back of the stock HU...
Am I right in saying that the only way someone without the stock subwoofer to install an aftermarket subwoofer is by splicing into the rear speaker connections and not use any of this unused pins

Wozzy2010

OK... prob some clarity needed here...

For units without the stock sub installed, there are these unused pins on the back of the stock HU...
Am I right in saying that the only way someone without the stock subwoofer to install an aftermarket subwoofer is by splicing into the rear speaker connections and not use any of this unused pins
This is correct, the RCA line-level converter is attached to the rear speaker cables, i have had one of these before and although it adds extra boom to your sound, due to it running off the speaker signal the sub woofer quality is kinda bad. I have recently upgraded my stereo to have sub woofer pre-outs and a high pass filter making the speakers sound better with no distortion as they are stock speakers and giving the sub woofer cleaner bass at higher volumes.

If your after a cheap way to add bass then an RCA Line-level converter is just what you need however if you can afford it get yourself an aftermarket stereo

Hope this helps :)

Just looked in back of my punto 2012 one lead is there which is good but there is twice as many cables and different plug.

Wozzy2010

Just looked in back of my punto 2012 one lead is there which is good but there is twice as many cables and different plug.
whack a picture up mate, lets see what your looking at, also if you can get the HU out and take a pic of the back of that, if all else fails you may be able to go from the HU instead

Will get picture up soon there is 13 wires I think. Found out what two are 12v and earth so left them in plug still. Tried every wire on speaker nothing. Also have fuse in place for the hifi system including amp. My guess the wires stop where every the amp would be in the car any one know where the amp would be fitted in a punto then can have a look from there.

Wozzy2010

Will get picture up soon there is 13 wires I think. Found out what two are 12v and earth so left them in plug still. Tried every wire on speaker nothing. Also have fuse in place for the hifi system including amp. My guess the wires stop where every the amp would be in the car any one know where the amp would be fitted in a punto then can have a look from there.
Hmmm this seems a bit odd, i have an 07 grande punto and i just wired mine up to the back of the head unit using the RCA converter then ran RCA's to the rear of the car. do you have a factory sub installed already and just want to get a better sub? because if you dont have a factory sub then i strongly recommend just going straight from the head unit. hope this helps

I'm so confused when it comes to subs. I have a factory fitted sub in my GP and i have an 'active' sub from my previous car. How do i wire up my sub? do i only splice into the existing cables like the guide shows using this: IMG_1767.JPG
and then use this to eliminate the high level frequency: IMG_1768.JPG

OR

on the rear of my 'active' sub i have this input panel: IMG_1771.JPG
with this high input cable: IMG_1772.JPG

Any ideas? Thank you everyone!:worship: