General Accident Help!

Currently reading:
General Accident Help!

marcellep

Today I was involved in a what I would say MINOR accident, A van reversed in my to Fiat Punto 75 ELX (N) and caused damage to reg plate and a small dent to the centre of the bonnet.

The driver said he wanted to go through insurance, so I call mines and gave all the details etc. I got a nice hired car within hours.

However ins comp are telling me that me car will be written off, I was shocked to say the least as damage is so little.....

What shall I do? What can I do?

I would like my car fixed and given back to me.........

Please someone tell me

have they told you its a write off via the phone or have they asessed it.

Cars are easily written off a bonnet repair could possibly write it.

I think though that you can have them repair it, someone will correct me if im wrong.

any pics?

have they told you its a write off via the phone or have they asessed it.

Cars are easily written off a bonnet repair could possibly write it.

I think though that you can have them repair it, someone will correct me if im wrong.

any pics?

They told me over the phone, They have arranged for it to be collected tomorrow from me. I have told them not to scrap the car until we agree.

I do have pictures, Can I post them on here, or do I host and post?

Ok here is a picture of the damage!

As you can see the only damage is to the Bonnet at the Fiat badge! and the reg plate is damaged.

How can that be written off:mad:

Attachments

• Fiat Forum.jpg
    Fiat Forum.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 25
'Written off' means that it will cost about or more than the value of the car to repair.

Supplying and fitting a new bonnet and painting in the appropriate colour will not be cheap.

Most insurance companys will let you keep the car and give you the money. Then you get it filled and sprayed or find a second hand bonnet in the same colour.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks for that

So next question will my car be a Q plate assuming they either give me the car or sell me it?

Nope, will keep its number. But it will be on the register of damaged cars.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks so much

and I am sure your fed up helping me already

But another silly question: If I get my car back, will I have higher insurance to pay. I know this accident is a non fault so I am not worried about that. I mean with the car being on that damaged car register

The only thing about CatD is that it may reduce the amount paid out in the event of a claim. It's unlikely to affect the premium you pay.

Thanks for that

Now I will just need to wait and see what they say when they collect the car tomorrow

In the mean time I will enjoy my brand new hired car :)

Today I was involved in a what I would say MINOR accident ... I would like my car fixed and given back to me......

How to keep a car the insurer wants to write off.

Honest John says the tariff an insurer is using to offer to write off a car should be evaluated by the reader.

My daughter’s S-reg Vauxhall Sintra was hit side-on by an old lady driver who admitted total liability. The insurer wants to write the car off, but my daughter wants to keep it because it is ideal for her large family. Is that feasible? JD, via email

It depends on the relative costs. If the tariff is ridiculous – £2,500 to repair a car worth £1,000, for instance – then her case falls apart. If the costs are more reasonable, for example £1,500 to repair a £1,500 car, she could try suing the other driver using the small claims track of the county court. Before you start, inform the other party, her insurer and your insurer that this is what you intend to do. They might settle out of court. HJ

Telegraph 2009/08/25

Today I was involved in a what I would say MINOR accident ... I would like my car fixed and given back to me......

NOTE ALSO:
How credit hire companies can inflate insurance claims.

Honest John reveals how minor damage can end up costing us all money.

My wife parked her Ford Focus Zetec near a jetwash, where someone reversed into it. Minimal damage was caused to the front spoiler, which a local garage estimated could be repaired and repainted for £150, plus VAT. The other party insisted, however, that the matter be passed to our respective insurers. We were offered a courtesy car while ours was taken to a designated garage, 25 miles away. We offered to take a smaller car on loan, but a new Focus Zetec was delivered to our home. The designated garage insisted the tiny scratch could not be repaired and replaced it with a pre-painted spoiler/bumper assembly supplied by a Ford main dealer. The car was away for three days (the local garage said it was a quick fix), during which time we had unrestricted use of the courtesy car. We have no complaints about the quality of the repair, just the excessive cost that will ultimately be passed on to policyholders. Is this an example of some people getting their snouts wet? PS, Bakewell

Your claim got nobbled by a credit hire company that made an excessive amount of money. The practice is known as "cash for crash" and increases premiums for everybody. Some people working for insurers and repairers are on incentives to hand the matter over to credit hire/accident management operators. You can legally refuse their offers, though. To the benefit of all, a recent Leeds County Court of Appeal Judgment (Copley v Lawn and Maden v Haller) ruled: "It is not unreasonable for a claimant to reject or ignore an offer from a defendant (or his insurers) if it does not make clear the cost of hire to the defendant for the purpose of enabling the claimant to make a realistic comparison with the cost which he is incurring or about to incur." HJ

Telegraph 2009/08/20

I know it's not fair to be out of pocket yourself, but have you considered not making a claim on your end and getting it sorted yourself at your own cost? Probably a lot less hassle than sorting via insurance company, and you avoid having your car classed as a write-off, which may end up costing you much more in the long run.

I know it's not fair to be out of pocket yourself, but have you considered not making a claim on your end and getting it sorted yourself at your own cost? Probably a lot less hassle than sorting via insurance company, and you avoid having your car classed as a write-off, which may end up costing you much more in the long run.

I have thought about this and yeah I was going to do that, But I thought why should I be out of pocket when I never caused the accident.

After thinking about it over night, I might as well just go on with the claim and if it does get written off I will just buy a newer car.

I just called them and told them I wnat my car fixed as it is coming out of the other drivers insurance not mines.

Well update time

I called the ins comp back again and told them I was not happy with my car being uplifted. I said I wanted someone to come and see it and decide if it can be fixed or not

Well within a hour, I got a call from a local comp, they are going to attend my address and check the car over.

So there is still hope:slayer:

Back