General ABS issue causing red engine management light to come on

Currently reading:
General ABS issue causing red engine management light to come on

Charlie Gordon

Hi, I have just joined and so apologies if this has been addressed before.

My Ducato 2005 2.8 JTD has a red engine management light on as well as the ABS and anti skid light. It has been into the garage and they have suggested the issue is with the front left wheel bearing (not sensor) causing an ABS fault which is in turn causing the red engine management light to come on. Has anyone else had any experience of this?
Thanks

Hi

Abs and 'antiskid' are obviously related..

Not sure why you would see an 'Engine light' though.. unless its just a general warning of failure?

Did you get told any Error Codes?

You can SEARCH them on here

Has the vehicle had any work done lately?

(If it has sat idle.. low battery can sometimes trigger random Errors showing.. as their sensors see a power drop due to the effort of a cold engine start)

Thanks for the reply.
Started off with cranking but no start - been in garage for weeks and eventually fixed but came back with all sorts of electrical issues - i.e turning lights on caused engine cut out but also came back with anti skid lights on. One of the original issues was to do with transponder key and so had the immobiliser removed from ECU - trust the guy that did that and he has assured me would not put engine light on.

It has now been with an auto electrician who has fixed all the cut out issues (replaced wiring loom) and it is driving fine. He drove it this morning before I picked it up and said the ant skid light back on - tested it and showing as abs issue to do with front bearing - not sensor and the engine light would be related to that.

I believe the 2005 immobiliser can not easily be switched off as it also controls the fuel pump, thus work has to be done on pump connections.

I have been having problems with the padlock lamp staying on in dash. Found that the exciter ring around the ignition switch needed to be fiddled about and then fitted closer to the key entry and fitted new remote battery. All good now.

I believe the 2005 immobiliser can not easily be switched off as it also controls the fuel pump, thus work has to be done on pump connections.

I have been having problems with the padlock lamp staying on in dash. Found that the exciter ring around the ignition switch needed to be fiddled about and then fitted closer to the key entry and fitted new remote battery. All good now.

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to have to correct your first post. but please do not let this discourage you from making further posts.

The immobiliser system on the 2.8jtd, and presumably other versions, does not have any affect on the fuel pump. The code receiver in the steering column, communicates with the ECU. I believe that this is via coded messages. The ECU is allowed to initiate fuel injection, only when a valid code is received by the code receiver

I believe that it is possible to reprogramme the ECU, so that communication from the code receiver is not needed. This will have security and insurance implications.

The chip in the key fob does not use a battery supply. The battery in the key fob only serves for remote control of the central locking, and if fitted the Fiat alarm system.

I do agree that the aeriel ring round the ignition switch barrel, needs to be as close as possible to the chip in the key fob.

Back