Technical ABS FAULT . WIRING ISSUE? C1115 Fault code

Currently reading:
Technical ABS FAULT . WIRING ISSUE? C1115 Fault code

Hi asll I've had a mare w eith the wiring on a grande 1.4 8v. I've resolve er d done issues like the rust connections on the loom plug that slots onto base of engine bay fuse box.
But I'm still getting a ABS FAILURE asking with EBD FAILURE

I've already checked and cleaned the earth points , yes all of them.

I've cleaned all the fuse box contacts.

Checked ABS fuses

CLEARED error codes on MES. And C1115 remains .

I've checked ABS Sensor connections,when unplugged, MES finds a speed sensor code for each wheel. Reattach and code clears but C1115 always remains.

Code describes a SHORT TO GROUND. Where might I find that?

Is there anything I've missed?

Unplugging ABS connector re adults in a none start.

Ignition off results in no code (c1115) stored

Hi Mike,

have you opened the ABS loom and checked for open wire (probably the big red one) ?

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Short to ground means you have something shorting to ground that shouldn’t be rather than the earth connections needing cleaning.

This sort of fault can be a total bitch to find as it can be literally anywhere along the length of the wires to the abs ecu, however if every wheel has he same fault then it’s likely that the fault is somewhere that all 4 wheel sensor wires are running together, it’s quite common in an accident for the body to bend and cut into wiring looms causing shorts, but in the absence of an accident it’s more likely to be general corrosion in the loom or some other damage somewhere.

Personally I would possibly run a wire to each wheel sensor independent of the wiring loom and see if I could get rid of the error, if that works then I’d probably by pass the old wiring and be happy with it working, however you might still want to find the fault in which case it might mean hours of unwrapping wires and checking them inch by inch.

While typing this I thought the other obvious problem is an internal fault in the abs ecu and something is damaged, corroded or shorting so you’d need to maybe try a known working abs ecu

Last edited:
Short to ground means you have something shorting to ground that shouldn’t be rather than the earth connections needing cleaning.

This sort of fault can be a total bitch to find as it can be literally anywhere along the length of the wires to the abs ecu, however if every wheel has he same fault then it’s likely that the fault is somewhere that all 4 wheel sensor wires are running together, it’s quite common in an accident for the body to bend and cut into wiring looms causing shorts, but in the absence of an accident it’s more likely to be general corrosion in the loom or some other damage somewhere.

Personally I would possibly run a wire to each wheel sensor independent of the wiring loom and see if I could get rid of the error, if that works then I’d probably by pass the old wiring and be happy with it working, however you might still want to find the fault in which case it might mean hours of unwrapping wires and checking them inch by inch.

While typing this I thought the other obvious problem is an internal fault in the abs ecu and something is damaged, corroded or shorting so you’d need to maybe try a known working abs ecu

So. Yeah. Ive tested red wire from loom connector to fuse box side connector, I've got a good signal.
I've bought and fitted another ecu and just fitted it . But still error is there so can rule out ecu.

Could it be a short within the and pump? As got a spare one of them too...
I checked polarity of all 4 corners.
3 of them cam up with 0.150 ish. Rear driver's side 0.113( possible sensor?)

Which wire, or do i have to bypass both wires going to the and sensor.

While typing this I thought the other obvious problem is an internal fault in the abs ecu and something is damaged, corroded or shorting so you’d need to maybe try a known working abs ecu[/QUOTE

Ok....
Checked again each abs sensor.. got 150 from all for corners. So all working. I've now just checked each corner via trial and error at abs connector pins. Got 3 readings of 150.... 1 reading of -50 so I assume that I've got a broken wire to that wheel.
I've unplugged each corner at a time to locate 'no effect' on reader a nd it's pointing towards rear driver's side...
So I'm going to try and re-route a wire to that corner tomoz...
Hope this is the issue!!

iF that can help, here's the ABS wiring …

What are you reading ( 150, -50 , in previous thread was 0.150ish, 0.133 ) that's confusing. I guess you were measuring Ohms, did you ?? If so you should read equal value between both wires on each sensor. But you also have to measure beetween wires and ground as it can very well be that the sensor coil is still ok but one of the wires is ground connected. Obviously thi measurement MUST be done at the controler level or at least with everything connected !!

BRs, Bernie

If someone here helped You fix -or better, understand- your issue, hit the thanks icon @ bottom right corner, it's free and makes us feel helpy ;-)

Attachments

• ABS Wiring.JPG
    ABS Wiring.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Ok, so retested tonight as found some wire long enough.

Was convinced it was rear and wiring but once I split the wires engine compartment side to splice my make shift loom in, upon testing which wire went to what pin, I was off with the pins for rear driver side. Connected them back up( soldered and shrink wrap) and got a good signal. 150( 0.150) as on all four corners. So can rule out a wiring issue..?

I've since replaced the whole abs unit, earlier I replaced the abs ecu, not abs control, now both are new.
Error still exists....

I really am now struggling as to where to go next.

I really do appreciate the diagrams but you may as Well type in Japanese, I cannot figure anything out from them... lol.

Could the fault be triggered from a faulty( but seems to be fully working) instrument cluster...

iF that can help, here's the ABS wiring …

What are you reading ( 150, -50 , in previous thread was 0.150ish, 0.133 ) that's confusing. I guess you were measuring Ohms, did you ?? If so you should read equal value between both wires on each sensor. But you also have to measure beetween wires and ground as it can very well be that the sensor coil is still ok but one of the wires is ground connected. Obviously thi measurement MUST be done at the controler level or at least with everything connected !!

BRs, Bernie

Reading in ohms yes.

Also when testing sensor. The readings only show one way... Not both way on the terminals...

Hi Mike, in the Drawings I sent there are both fuses boxes represented with the fuses locations, do they look the same as yours ??

BRs, Bernie

If you have changed the abs unit with the ECU, traced out all the wires and made good all the connectionsthe only thing left to consider is that one of the wheel sensors has and internal short.

Have you cleared all the codes and driven it again since sorting out the wires and changing the abs unit and ecu? Go into all the modules and clear all codes just to make sure it’s not something being register by the body computer.

You could also try clearing all the codes and then disconnecting the wheel sensors and taking it for a short drive. It will likely not record any errors as the car won’t know its moving, however you can then plug in one sensor and you should get wheel sensor errors, keep clearing the errors and plugging and unplugging individual wheel sensors till you find a combination that shows the short to ground error message.

If you unplug all the sensors and still get a short to ground error then there is likely still a broken or shorting out wire somewhere.

Last edited:
If you have changed the abs unit with the ECU, traced out all the wires and made good all the connectionsthe only thing left to consider is that one of the wheel sensors has and internal short.

Have you cleared all the codes and driven it again since sorting out the wires and changing the abs unit and ecu? Go into all the modules and clear all codes just to make sure it’s not something being register by the body computer.

You could also try clearing all the codes and then disconnecting the wheel sensors and taking it for a short drive. It will likely not record any errors as the car won’t know its moving, however you can then plug in one sensor and you should get wheel sensor errors, keep clearing the errors and plugging and unplugging individual wheel sensors till you find a combination that shows the short to ground error message.

If you unplug all the sensors and still get a short to ground error then there is likely still a broken or shorting out wire somewhere.

Hi all. Thanks for all advice..
Found a main wire(white and red ) to pin 3 , large pin.

It also had corroded... replaced and now and light goes out... No more errors..
!!
So defo was a connector, corrosion issue.

Hi all. Thanks for all advice..
Found a main wire(white and red ) to pin 3 , large pin.

It also had corroded... replaced and now and light goes out... No more errors..
!!
So defo was a connector, corrosion issue.

Told you in post #2

Anyway, thanks for letting us know !

Hi Mike,

have you opened the ABS loom and checked for open wire (probably the big red one) ?

BRs, Bernie

Hi, seem to be having a similar issue with a fiat 500 can you provide a bit more info about where this abs loom is located and what you Mrs. By the big red one, thanks Uz

Hi Mike,

BRs, Bernie

Hi, seem to be having a similar issue with a fiat 500 can you provide a bit more info about where this abs loom is located and what you Mrs. By the big red one, thanks Uz

On the GP, 500 is very similar, the ABS controler sits on the ABS hydraulic module and is connected to the fuse/distribution box in the engine bay and the rest of the car via a plug and a cables loom. You have to splice that loom and inspect the wires, specially the thick red (might be red/white) one: that's the main power cable.

BRs, Bernie

Back