General Abarth SS 1.4?

Currently reading:
General Abarth SS 1.4?

i've been on the phone to a local fiat dealer and they told me that "the grande punto abarth won't be with us untill next year but the 500 abarth will be in the uk for around the october this year"
he said that the 500 is a far more popular car than the punto and they will sell far more.

i don't know how much truth is in that but it looks quite bad for us that want the punto...

i've been on the phone to a local fiat dealer and they told me that "the grande punto abarth won't be with us untill next year but the 500 abarth will be in the uk for around the october this year"
he said that the 500 is a far more popular car than the punto and they will sell far more.

I think that's salesman not knowing what they're talking about again, and not what I've heard from Fiat Marylebone, Desira and Mangoletsi - The Abarth brand will be launched in the new year with both GP and 500 models available. The 500 production facility in Poland is running at full capacity and a refurbished factory in Italy will not come online till the final quarter of 2008. They've even cut down making Pandas to make more 500's and they've still run out of capacity - Taking Fiat on it's history, can you really see the niche model Abarth 500 making it's way over here in 6 months when apparently it will only launch in Italy in July?

Also the local dealers that aren't getting an Abarth franchise are even more in the dark to what is going on than the ones that are.

The Abarth brand has just launched in Switzerland, Austria is next, then Germany, Portugal, Greece, Holland and Belgium, after those finally the UK, Spain, France and Poland will get it.

Don't read anything into rumours saying that it takes ages to convert the Abarth GP to RHD btw - it's mostly the same car as the T-Jet, so there are no issues with steering rack, master cylinder relocation etc. It's just another example of Fiat screwing over the UK again.

Sorry about the ranting tone of this post :D - I'm just as frustrated as the rest of you concerning Abarth.

The reason why the 500 Abarth will sell better is because people who want a GP abarth are going elsewhere as they are sick of waiting for it. Fiat need to stop eating pizza and pasta, pull their fingers out and sort it out, cause its starting to turn into a joke.

To mention again, fiat don't realise the size of the uks hot hatch market.

I think this is a good point. I bet some of the other manufacturers see this potential and release them here first. Big bucks for them!. I think Ford are already advertising the new Focus ST aren't they? and I saw a pic of the new Fiesta ST on a publication. They can't wait to sell these to us so if only Fiat were the same!

Personally I'm interested in seeing some diesel performance hatches emerge on the market. Got a feeling it's gonna be other brands that will win that battle too cos they'll release them first!

Last edited:
I think this is a good point. I bet some of the other manufacturers see this potential and release them here first. Big bucks for them!. I think Ford are already advertising the new Focus ST aren't they? and I saw a pic of the new Fiesta ST on a publication. They can't wait to sell these to us so if only Fiat were the same!

Personally I'm interested in seeing some diesel performance hatches emerge on the market. Got a feeling it's gonna be other brands that will win that battle too cos they'll release them first!

Fiat is a big company, they should have the market research and hot hatch sales figures so what is it that they are still missing?

I would like to see more performance diesel hatches yes, but to go alongside the petrols not to replace them!

Fiat is a big company, they should have the market research and hot hatch sales figures so what is it that they are still missing?

I would like to see more performance diesel hatches yes, but to go alongside the petrols not to replace them!

Well Audi are producing a diesel R8 so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. Can't help thinking what Jeremy Clarkeson will say about it if it's reviewed. Could change alot of minds about oil-burners or he'll totally dismiss it as a waste of time regarding performance just because he can. We'll see.

BTW I think Ford should have an 'STD' range of performance diesels with the slogan... Catch me if you can! :)

Last edited:
Well Audi are producing a diesel R8 so it'll be interesting to see what happens there. Can't help thinking what Jeremy Clarkeson will say about it if it's reviewed. Could change alot of minds about oil-burners or he'll totally dismiss it as a waste of time regarding performance just because he can. We'll see.

BTW I think Ford should have an 'STD' range of performance diesels with the slogan... Catch me if you can! :)

Ford diesels are manky :yuck:. Still very transit van like :(

Ford have given it a shot with the zetec-s tdci, ford followers are more into their petrol engines though.

Ford have given it a shot with the zetec-s tdci, ford followers are more into their petrol engines though.

the old style mondeo used to have a tdci ST not sure if that was just a styling pack rather then performance, but they seam popular as they are on the motorways all the time near me

the old style mondeo used to have a tdci ST not sure if that was just a styling pack rather then performance, but they seam popular as they are on the motorways all the time near me

This is called an ST 220, not quite sure of the torque figures but the are 220bhp (obviously). They are quite quick but nothing groundbreaking.

The police use them iirc.

Back