General Abarth SS 1.4?

Currently reading:
General Abarth SS 1.4?

While every one already seams confused as to why the ss kit is "only" going to have 180BHP it seams odd to offer the 500 arbarth ss with 180BHP as well. supposedly with the SS kit both these cars will have the same power output but i am betting the 500 is a whole lot lighter. why is the GP not getting 200 :confused:
sorry if that does not make much sense lol i am just musing outloud

No, this makes sense. I think 180bhp in the 500 SS is fantastic and will be quite something:eek:. Just guessing I would of thought similar power from a 1.4 in the SS version of the GP Abarth will not be enough for seeing off it's rivals.

Having said that I may be missing the point and of course the real test is to see what happens when they arrive on our shores. Maybe this TTC (Torque Trans­fer Control) business will prove me wrong and there'll be a need to change your underwear after test driving it:)

Last edited:
While every one already seams confused as to why the ss kit is "only" going to have 180BHP it seams odd to offer the 500 arbarth ss with 180BHP as well. supposedly with the SS kit both these cars will have the same power output but i am betting the 500 is a whole lot lighter. why is the GP not getting 200 :confused:
sorry if that does not make much sense lol i am just musing outloud

Maybe the GP Abarth SS will have more than 180bhp but there keeping it quiet until it is finally realeased. :shrug:

i may be wrong but i thought the 500 abarth was going to 135 bhp with a kit to take it up 155ish. Cant see it being 180 surely

From what I've seen the Abarth GP is alot more grown up with a tasteful but not overly garish kit and accessories, While the 500 is based on the mental 500 abarths of old with a huge square mouth and bulged arches, So perhaps they are aiming for two different markets, the more restrained Golf GTI buyer with the GP (you cannot deactivate the ESP lets not forget) and the mentalists with the 500.

i may be wrong but i thought the 500 abarth was going to 135 bhp with a kit to take it up 155ish. Cant see it being 180 surely

I have no idea on the power just took those figures from the review on topgear. they appear to be loving the 500

500s are a bit too gay and don't have the pedigree for the mentalist market.
Haven't seen the finished kit yet but the one I saw was alot closer to the abarths of old then the rather effeminate shopping trolley of the present day
01large.jpg

Not keen on that, looks like Fiat have tried to make a chihuahua look like a rottweiler. The wheels are nice though.

Last edited:
What people seem to be forgetting is development and trial time.

Jassyo's "Disgraceful Management" is a rather pithy comment - the RHD model will obviously come after the LHD, as Italy and France are FIAT's biggest markets. No doubt if the UK were LHD we'd already have the Punto Abarth. Remember, RHD doesn't just mean a different steering column, the whole front of the interior has to change too. The UK has always been later than Europe for FIATs, and most brands, due to this reason.

As for the engines - the Abarth Grande Punto is already out, and I doubt the 1.8 T-Jet is ready. The Bravo was nearly launched without it's T-Jet, hence the early manual's don't include it, as FIAT weren't sure they were ready.

As Santa says, I wouldn't be surprised if an Abarth Bravo features the 1.8 TJet. If it doesn't, then we can have room to moan.

tell me what is so special about the punto abarth development that it takes so long for them to put cars on british frickin ground i will say sweet F.A.thats what its only a ****ing punto ABARTH SMARTH they can jam it.aint buying 1 now.
the corsa vxr is available up my way for £14 18"s included.thats what i will be buying better car than a gp abarth and more to the point better value

good point but the corsa don't look as nice in my opinion.

the corsa will be faster too and could probably be chipped to be quicker still.
i'm tempted by the corsa though 'cus i'm sick of waiting for the punto.

i'm dropping down from an impreza wrx sti (or is that moving up) so the corsa seems the way to go but...
i'm mad on fiats and bought the mrs a panda 100hp for passing her test. i'm always in it, it makes going to work much nicer.

I'm having the Abarth or a Alfa Mito - Whichever gets onto UK soil first.

The 'esseesse' will be a damp squib, you'll be able to get a remap that matches the 'esseesse kit' for £500 max, rather than the €3500 for the official kit.

good point but the corsa don't look as nice in my opinion.

the corsa will be faster too and could probably be chipped to be quicker still.
i'm tempted by the corsa though 'cus i'm sick of waiting for the punto.

Don't go for the corsa, i think there too over styled. I went for a Fiat as its something different and is abit of a different site on the roads especially in orange. :p Can't beat abit of italiano (y)

Don't go for the corsa, i think there too over styled. I went for a Fiat as its something different and is abit of a different site on the roads especially in orange. :p Can't beat abit of italiano (y)
the corsa vxr is a lot rarer on our roads than gp sporting:confused:

Back