General Abarth Phone system

Currently reading:
General Abarth Phone system

7zark7

Hi All,

I've just picked up a Nice Abarth Stilo with all of the toys and had an ace time driving it back.

However, how do you get your sim card in the phone system??, is there some kind of adaptor or do you need a new sim in its original credit card sized surround??.

Any help appreciated!.

7zark7 said:
Hi All,

I've just picked up a Nice Abarth Stilo with all of the toys and had an ace time driving it back.

However, how do you get your sim card in the phone system??, is there some kind of adaptor or do you need a new sim in its original credit card sized surround??.

Any help appreciated!.

You can use a full size SIM, or use the adaptor supplied.

I went out and bought a full size SIM card on prepaid, at least that way if anyone nicks it they'll only get a tenners worth of calls out of me!

Paul

(y) welcome to the forum!

As PJP says using a pre pay sim is easiest, got fed up of taking my fone apart to swop the sim into the connect + unit! just divert all my calls to the car number now, hope you enjoy your new toy get some pics up soon...

regards Steve....

Excellent, I'll get myself a PrePay this weekend.

What an ace car, I had a ZT-T 190 before which was pretty good but this is much more fun and toytastic.

Cheers for the info mate.

Unless you are with Vodafone - they can do two SIM cards on the same number!

BTW, welcome to the forum - glad you are enjoying your new 'toy' :D

What spec you got?! We need photos, and we need them NOW :)

Stuart DemonD said:
Unless you are with Vodafone - they can do two SIM cards on the same number!

You can get two cards on the same SIM, but not on Prepaid - the question is whether your comfortable leaving the SIM in the Nav+ on a subscription package. I work in the industry, and have seen how quick you can be defrauded of some serious money!

Paul

As you all advised I got a prepay sim card (£10 off ebay with £15 credit!), hopefully it should arrive tommorow.

I'll post some piccies as soon as I take some, it got a little bit mucky on the way home cos of the weather so I'll need to clean it first.

Its a 5 door selespeed on a 52 plate, 24K miles. The spec is pretty extensive so I'm not sure whats standard and what isn't. It has all of the usual toys, but seems to have different alloys (17" Chrome(ish) 5 spokes) from the standard ones (although this could be an older spec). I'm still trying to find out what all of the buttons do.

It took a while finding a worthy replacement for my old car but the Stilo looks like it fits the job. Enough power to be quick and make a noise, but refined enough to cruise well, and when you get onto your favourite road the selespeed comes into it own.

Wow, a 5 door selespeed :D - just like mine, although I just clocked 25k on it yesterday...

Sounds like an ideal candidate for a fuel remap and CDA - 190bhp :)

Fuel Remap and CDA eh?, whats the deal with that then?? sounds good already!.

I paid 7599 for the car, does this sound OK???(7899 with a 3 year RAC warranty), Mangoletsi had a (scruffy) 03 of a similar spec but they wanted 10K for it and it was in a right state. It drove well though (actually one of my top 3 cars I've driven, right up my street) so I looked around for a tidier example.

I had to get a 5 door, 2 nippers need to be deployed in the back so it was either a 5 door or earache. The Stilo 5 Door was one of the few cars in its class that had a large enough boot to accomodate the required child-related paraphenalia.

Oh yes - Fuel remap and induction kit took car to around 190bhp mark, and gives it a great noise as well :) - also had mine lowered 35mm on Eibachs - some pics in my Gallery ;)

Price sounds ok - what was mileage though? And don't forget about dealership warranty.

Same reason we got a 5 door as well, even though we got a Ulysse as the main bus.

Just read, 24k, lol - picked up mine, 25 months old, 16k on clock, for just over £7500. At the end of the day, you have to be happy with price you paid, irrespective of what others think :)

24K miles, AFAIK RAC warranty begins after Mani dealer warranty so I've effectively got 3.5 years warranty on it.

May well be in the market for some mods after the Mrs calms down, She's already whinging that the boot isn't as big as the ZT-T. When we had that she whinged it was to big, you cant bloody win.

Congratulations on your new (to you) Abarth.

My mother instructed my father to go and buy a nice sensible family car big enough for the grandchildren!!

Following her strict orders he came home with a 5 door Abarth! Mum is happy that at last they have a sensible car and dad keeps finding excuses to pop out without her!!!!!!!!!Quality.

7zark7 said:
I had to get a 5 door, 2 nippers need to be deployed in the back so it was either a 5 door or earache. The Stilo 5 Door was one of the few cars in its class that had a large enough boot to accomodate the required child-related paraphenalia.
I have two teenagers(who don't come in the car too often) and 3 kids under 6, and I have no regrets buying a 3 door. In fact I find it easier because they can step into the car and sit dwn rather than slide across the seat in a 5 dor, if you see what i mean. The 3 door actually creates more room for them to get in the car because the floor space in the back is extended when the front seats go forward.

Hi Guys, had to write to say thanks for all the tips on the forum. I've been stalking you all for about 3 weeks!! :) I got my (new to me) Stilo Abarth 5 door a week ago. So far, with your help I've upgraded to Nav+ to 9.8 from 8.5, now know not to use a Fiat dealer for servicing etc etc. (y) and loads more!

Just had to write when I saw 7zark7's comments on his new Abarth. This is a long shot but I got mine from Fords of Winsford and there was a blue 5 door at about the same price with similar mileage he quotes. Don't tell me you got that one! (Co-incidence of the year if so!). It had black leather interior if I remember!

So details of mine. 2 years old in 1 month. (03 reg) 11800 miles on the clock. Old burgundy red metallic (or Brown if you're the DVLA) 5 doors, full leather trim (sort of brown (poo) colour), 17 inch alloys, alarm, plus all the usual Stilo goodies. Paid 8500 for and got the 3 years RAC warranty from Fords of Winsford (no I don't work there!!). Fiat waranty had expired as it had not been serviced to their standard. I know you can get it recertified but I'm not letting the Monkeys at Mangoletsi's have a go at it. I have a mate who has an Alfa and he takes it to an independent (ex Mangoletsi trained) Alfa and Fiat guy. I'll let you know how good he is and post his details. Good thing about the RAC warranty is you have to have an oil change every 6 months or 6000 miles so hopefully the engine will benefit. Pics when I can borrow a digital camera!

Biggest laugh so far. After Nav+ upgrade, car telling the wife every turn and junction on her 40 mile drive to her mums in Italian :D (she had to ring me to tell her how to turn it off!!)

Second biggest laugh CIS insurance wanting £1010 for fully comp insurance me me and the wife! I'm not exactly a boy racer at 42 (if I lose a few Kilos may be able to trim that 0-60 time ;) ). Now with Tesco for £450

Just had to say you've all been wonderful with so many things so far, I hope I can contribute in the future to help other out

Bleedin 'ell thats mine alright!!!!. I went for the RAC warranty as well.

I had my first proper blast in it today, nice dry roads and cool air. I love the burble from the engine, makes me all tingly. The Selespeed is ace fun once you get into it.

I've heard so many bad things about Mangoletsi, I test drove an Abarth there which was only 2 years old with low mileage but it was in a right state and the creepy sales guy put me right off.

Last edited:
Hehehe.. I actually bought mine from Mangoletsi about 6 months ago. 3 door selespeed with skyroof electric seats etc. It's a 52 and it had 7k ish on it when I bought it. I have to say it's the best fun on 4 wheels I've ever had. I'm just down the road from both 7zark and Acordis, (Just outside Sandbach)
Oh.. BTW if either of you need 2004/5 UK maps or European ones I can probably sort them out for you (FOC naturally).
I'd be interested to know more about the independant servicing guy !
Oh and Acordis, I've got the Language setup disk, if you need to reset from Italian to English. Just give me a shout.

Pongo

Spooky coincidence.....

Hi to 7zark7 and Pongo, good to see we almost have a Cheshire set of Abarths (We'll let Manchester into Cheshire in this case!!) ;)

Just glad I got to FOW before 7zark7 or he might be driving my baby now!! :)

Pongo, thanks for the offer of the disks. I do have the set up disk and have managed to change the language back to English from Italian. HOWEVER :D I would love to take you up on your offer of the 2004/5 set of maps (grovel grovel). Naturally I can provide you with blank CDR's and would be more than happy to ply you with the odd beer or three (but of course not when driving officer) to say thanks. I'm in Holmes Chapel so not a million miles away from you. How do I contact you?

The Alfa / Fiat guy is in Sandbach, his name is Alfie (short for Alfonso and yes he is originally Italian so I am told). His place is Heath Road Garage (in Sandbach obviously) tel 01270 764 214. You have to mention Steve as a contact (who is my mate who has an Alfa 156 (and a £2500 engine rebuild done by Alfie) so Steve can get his 5% and feed his kids! (only joking!!).

I have to say I haven't been there as yet but will be doing so rather than let the Fiat dealer chimps on the car.

Pm Sent

Oh BTW I find B S Marsons at Newcastle pretty good for sorting out niggles etc. And they've looked after the other 2 FIATs on the fleet for the last 4 years with no problems at all ! In fact I went in the other day and they even checked my oil AND topped it up FOC !!

Last edited:
I live in Manchester but work in Knutsford so I'm in the cheshire set Mon-Fri!!.

I only found out about the Abarth about 2 weeks ago and there were only 2 for sale locally (FOW and Mangoletsi). Acordis, how did you find FOW??, I was pretty impressed with them, no hassle or hard sell or anything. Only problem I've had so far is that the service interval wasn't reset after the FOW service, did you have this problem??. I still have some Fiat warranty and it isn't due a service (2nd was done at 19K) so I may pop it into a Fiat dealer or back to FOW to get it reset, not a big problem but I get sick of it telling me!.

Cheers for the offer on the disks Pongo, I've got the 2004/5 disks for the sat nav but I want to upgrade the firmware to the latest version (From memory its on 9.7 now). I've got the update and I've managed to find a setup disk on edonkey but it wasn't a CD image, just the files from the disk, what should happen when I put the disk in ??? (I haven't tried it yet). I was playing with the voice recognition yesterday, I had no hopes that it was going to work properly but I was very surprised with, its certainly needed with the vast array of buttons on an Abarth dash!.

How far away is Newcastle from Knutsford??, I have a very local Fiat Dealer (about 100 Metres away!!) but I hear very bad things about them.

Back