General Abarth Engine Fan Housing

Currently reading:
General Abarth Engine Fan Housing

deckwood

Does anyone have any idea what this fan/alternator housing is from?
13584937_1089900317751580_3996085209756388720_o.jpg

It looks like a standard one that has had the air-filter housing chopped off and the hole welded up; for a reasonably skilled fabricator/welder, not that hard to do. :)
I believe that they call this version the "German" version. The main shroud only has 2 pieces, and the thermostat shroud is a small 'square' one. The thermostat linkage is also a bit shorter. There is no provision on the shroud for an air-filter. If you are unhappy with this version, I will happily swap it foe a conventional set of shrouds----I am looking for a 'German' version

That fan housing was only used on the German version of the Fiat 126 which was called the Bambino. The cylinder head has the same characteristics as a standard 126 head but the exterior shape of the twin port Panda 30 head.

I believe that they call this version the "German" version. The main shroud only has 2 pieces, and the thermostat shroud is a small 'square' one. The thermostat linkage is also a bit shorter. There is no provision on the shroud for an air-filter. If you are unhappy with this version, I will happily swap it foe a conventional set of shrouds----I am looking for a 'German' version

If it is an original example of this, it has also been through additional modification or repair. There are heat marks from recent welding. As previously said, modifyng to make one of these would be a doddle.

Where does the air-filter go then? Presumably, on the factory version, they would have one?

The air filter had its own separate housing that sat on top of the shell Picking up on the fan housing bolts.

I am on the hunt for one myself, was just using the picture as reference:D

Hi DW, yes definitely a 'Bambino housing' as Dave says, the welding mod to the outside edges is due to the 'Bambino and Panda 30' heads Looking similar, but not so. You will have to fit the housing to the head. Beware that the spark plug recesses Do Not line up exactly - head to housing. The original filter mount shown in pic - easy to remove.IMG_1164.JPG If you fit the housing to the crankcase first (ensuring a free fan) then tackle the fitting of the housing to head next otherwise you will never get the multiple bolts to line up - I don't ever want to do that job again :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: any questions (when you get one) please ask.
Ian.

I believe these housings are becoming hard to find.....
Took me about two years to get one, searching Ebay Europe and even the Fiat126 sites

It is on the back burner of my ever increasing cooker...
I thought it would be nice to actually mould them in Carbon Fibre to suit std heads or Panda Heads...
you could remove that nasty join in the middle and make something resemblig the nicer Porsche cooling kits used on VWS...

I think for people who want to move away from Std Carbs it does look so much neater than welding up the old filter hole or putting one of those "Abarth alloy tops on..

If you find one that has been modified (like i did) you will most likely have to unpick the terrib;e welding done by DIYers without any skills

I believe these housings are becoming hard to find.....
Took me about two years to get one, searching Ebay Europe and even the Fiat126 sites

It is on the back burner of my ever increasing cooker...
I thought it would be nice to actually mould them in Carbon Fibre to suit std heads or Panda Heads...
you could remove that nasty join in the middle and make something resemblig the nicer Porsche cooling kits used on VWS...

I think for people who want to move away from Std Carbs it does look so much neater than welding up the old filter hole or putting one of those "Abarth alloy tops on..

If you find one that has been modified (like i did) you will most likely have to unpick the terrib;e welding done by DIYers without any skills
The BIG problem about making the "German" shroud in on piece is the fitment of the 'air-direction' plate inside the shroud and above the fan. If a joint down the middle was good enough for Bugatti, then what is wrong with a joint down the centre of the shroud, especially if one uses stainless washers and short stainless 'cap-head' screws to hold it together. It will also be much easier to fit the alternator and fan if the shroud is in 2 pieces.

I didn't mean one peice as in remove the seam where the front and back join...
the unsightly join where the two peices of each side in the middle...
Keeping it two peice is far simpler for moulding...
the join front and back could be made much neater with stainless mushroom headed bolts

Anyone any good at mould making?
1655212608901.png

Greetings All, The one advantage of fitting one of these housings to a Panda head is that the internal 'splitter' plate fits into a horizontal slot in the head itself thus helping to align everything, the process of adjusting and fitting must start from the alternator mount and work up to the head via the fan and housing bolts, the splitter will locate the complete housing at the right angle in the right place - only then can you start fixing any bodges and get a good fit to the head bolts. If anyone sees one of these (complete or not) BUY IT - even if you have to pay a premium, they are worse than hen's teeth to find!!!:oops::oops::oops:
Ian.

I know the one I brought had been bodged a lot....
but rare as!!! Never seen anopther for sale....
Will take some skilled welding to correct the bodges

Back