General Abarth - Annoying beeping noise!!!

Currently reading:
General Abarth - Annoying beeping noise!!!

So, I've had the Abarth for a week now, and I'm getting seriously p!ssed off listening to the beep beep beep beep noise when ever I stick it in reverse, or when I switch the engine off when it's in Neutral.

Anyone know if I can switch the warning beep off, as it really starting to annoy me! I'm guessing its just a relay, but I dont really want to remove it, just disable it!?

(y)

So, I've had the Abarth for a week now, and I'm getting seriously p!ssed off listening to the beep beep beep beep noise when ever I stick it in reverse, or when I switch the engine off when it's in Neutral.

Anyone know if I can switch the warning beep off, as it really starting to annoy me! I'm guessing its just a relay, but I dont really want to remove it, just disable it!?

(y)

Surely turning the warning buzzer down when in reverse kinda cancels the whole point of having parking sensors??

...or have I got confused??

As for the beep beep beep when switching the engine off when it's in neutral, just leave it in gear!

Surely turning the warning buzzer down when in reverse kinda cancels the whole point of having parking sensors??

...or have I got confused??

As for the beep beep beep when switching the engine off when it's in neutral, just leave it in gear!

The warning buzzer thing didn't work.

When you put it in reverse, it goes mad for 5 seconds, then only beeps when you get close to something.

I know I can just leave it in gear when switching off, but then when I switch on again I forget its in gear, and then it beeps again cause it need to be in neutral to start!!!

I guess its all just part of getting used to the car, but it's dam annoying!!!

I know I can just leave it in gear when switching off, but then when I switch on again I forget its in gear, and then it beeps again cause it need to be in neutral to start!!!

Well, you should always leave the car in gear when you turn the engine off, it's just good practice. That's why the car beeps at you. As for starting it, you should have your foot on the brake when you turn the key, this means the car will automatically put the car into neutral and start the engine without any beeps...

(y)

........As for starting it, you should have your foot on the brake when you turn the key, this means the car will automatically put the car into neutral and start the engine without any beeps...

(y)

Aaaah, cool. See, its these little things that you dont find out unless you ask! I never knew that!

Cheers.

The warning buzzer thing didn't work.

When you put it in reverse, it goes mad for 5 seconds, then only beeps when you get close to something.

I guess its all just part of getting used to the car, but it's dam annoying!!!

This is the same problem that I have been going on about every time i locate reverse beeps go off and it's not the reversing sensors it's the same sound as if you had shutdown in neutral. is this supposed to happen? :confused: I have also posted this in the parking sensors thread?

At least now someone else knows what i'm on about.

Come on Sillyspeed owners please help!!! :D

:yeahthat: it is even stated in the manual :)

Ok, you got me there. I did read that in the manual too :p, but, putting the car in neutral is something I've always done whenever I drive (or switch off I should say), no matter what car.

So, I suppose I could change the question to (as also metioned above), can I stop it beeping when I stick it in reverse. And no, its not the parking sensors. (y)

Last edited:
Ok, you got me there. I did read that in the manual too :p, but, putting the car in neutral is something I've always done whenever I drive (or switch off I should say), no matter what car.

So, I suppose I could change the question to (as also metioned above), can I stop it beeping when I stick it in reverse. And no, its not the parking sensors. (y)

Nope. It's there to warn you that the car is in reverse so that you don't back into something accidentally. Personally, I think it's a good idea for cars with a sequential shift. Is it REALLY that annoying?

but, putting the car in neutral is something I've always done whenever I drive (or switch off I should say), no matter what car.
Hmmm, don't want to slate your skills, but why are you doing this? Do you really want to rely on your handbrake, or would you rather be safe in the knowledge that if kept in gear, the car is going nowhere....

I have always left cars in gear, but each to their own :)

Last edited:
Hmmm, don't want to slate your skills, but why are you doing this? Do you really want to rely on your handbrake, or would you rather be safe in the knowledge that if kept in gear, the car is going nowhere....

I have always left cars in gear, but each to their own :)

I've always done it(or rather not done it), there is nothing bad about not leaving it in gear when you leave the car, so I certainly dont think my 'skills' should be questioned. I dont do it, none of my mates do, none of my family do, in fact I've never been in a car with anyone who's done it. Its probably not as common as you think for people to leave a car in gear. ;)

I think if I parked on a particually steep hill I'd leave it in gear, but I rarely do so I find the handbrake more than adequate.

Anyway, Stu, got the Sat nav update done and dusted last night, all seemed to go ok and working fine. (y)

My Denison adaptor arrived this morning (allowing me to connect my iPod) so I'll hopefully get that connected up either later today or maybe tomorrow morning.

I dont do it, none of my mates do, none of my family do, in fact I've never been in a car with anyone who's done it. Its probably not as common as you think for people to leave a car in gear. ;)

I'd be more inclined to think that not leaving a car in gear is a bizarre trend limited to the St Albans area... :D

It's a habit that is extremely good and easy to learn... it'll be an extremely hard one to learn though when your handbrake fails and you have to pick your car out of your neighbours hedge. :D

be warned that Stilos handbrakes are not the best and quite a few have been known to fail and just 'pop off' and their beloved cars go rolling down the hill.

trust me mine did :( but it was on my drive and came to a flat part and stopped, so now my car is always in gear ;)

It's a habit that is extremely good and easy to learn... it'll be an extremely hard one to learn though when your handbrake fails and you have to pick your car out of your neighbours hedge. :D

Been there done that! my old Coupé ended up rolling right across the road and rolling down the drive across from me - I had to run and get it stark bo#*$ck naked or it'd have smashed into their house!:D

Now I ALWAYS leave cars in gear!

Been there done that! my old Coupé ended up rolling right across the road and rolling down the drive across from me - I had to run and get it stark bo#* naked or it'd have smashed into their house!:D

Now I ALWAYS leave cars in gear!

That would have been very funny to watch :D

As for the reverse-selection five-second DEEEEEE-dledeedledeedledeedldee noise (which is nothing to do with the reversing sensors), you do get used to it and after a while it serves as a useful indication that you've 'got' reverse - saves checking the instrument panel.

By parking in gear and starting with foot on brake, you can avoid the noise at those times - but one time I always got the noise was when I stopped on my driveway to check the letterbox while the engine was still running - door open, neutral, DEEEEEE-dledeedledee...

I just realised that won't make much sense when your letterboxes are in your house front doors - for us in NZ, the letterboxes are at the roadside! ;)

Finally I remember trying to demonstrate the Selespeed to someone (who was about to drive the car) and I figured out that you cannot select gears when the driver's door is open.

-Alex

:) pleased the Schumacher comes with a manual gearbox and does not come with parking sensors so it does not suffer from beeps :D

Back