General Abarth 595 Auto gearbox ?.

Currently reading:
General Abarth 595 Auto gearbox ?.

Graham GB

Hi, i'm looking at used 595's with auto gearbox, I've seen them advertised as:

DuaLogic:
MTA:
Semi Auto:

Are these different types of gearbox(depending on year or model), or are they the same box, just described differently?.
Thanks, Graham.

Its the same thing.
The gearbox is the same as a manual, but with a robustised change, fiat call it Dualogic on the 500 and Abarth call it MTA.
Semi-Auto is a generic term.
Its not a fast changing box because its not a twin clutch box like the DDCT in the 500X

Last edited:
Its the same thing.
The gearbox is the same as a manual, but with a robustised change, fiat call it Dualogic on the 500 and Abarth call it MTA.
Semi-Auto is a generic term.
Its not a fast changing box because its not a twin clutch box like the DDCT in the 500X

Thanks RichardH, so it has 5 gears & a clutch, but the clutch is operated by an electronic device ?, so does it require shifting via Paddles etc? or can it operate fully auto ?, but just takes it's time.:)
Sorry for the basic questions, but the last auto we had was in 1985 :D.

Hi Graham,

Its a proper 2 pedal auto, I've only driven a 500 1.2 Auto courtesy car, but it was a slow change.

Can't remember if the Abarth has paddles.

The general view with the Abarth auto was avoid, unless you have to have an auto.

I had 4 Abarths and the manual box is a very nice box

we have a Abarth 500C MTA and in normal mode it is smooth and no issues once you get to know how to drive it. I tend to accelerate hard and it is jerky then however it is fine in sport which changes the character completely. Far more fun! My wife however ( it is her car! ) achieves a smooth change in normal or sport. It really is a knack. It is a manual 5 speed single clutch gearbox with a hydraulic operator that de-clutches, selects gear and releases the clutch. You can select gears manually using the paddles in auto mode and when the car disagrees it will ignore your input and revert to full auto again or if in manual mode it uses your selection unless it would cause damage in which case you have to change your input.

Last edited:
Hi Graham,

Its a proper 2 pedal auto, I've only driven a 500 1.2 Auto courtesy car, but it was a slow change.

Can't remember if the Abarth has paddles.

The general view with the Abarth auto was avoid, unless you have to have an auto.

I had 4 Abarths and the manual box is a very nice box

Thanks for the info RichardH :)

we have a Abarth 500C MTA and in normal mode it is smooth and no issues once you get to know how to drive it. I tend to accelerate hard and it is jerky then however it is fine in sport which changes the character completely. Far more fun! My wife however ( it is her car! ) achieves a smooth change in normal or sport. It really is a knack. It is a manual 5 speed single clutch gearbox with a hydraulic operator that de-clutches, selects gear and releases the clutch. You can select gears manually using the paddles in auto mode and when the car disagrees it will ignore your input and revert to full auto again or if in manual mode it uses your selection unless it would cause damage in which case you have to change your input.

Thanks RedAbarth, well it sounds like my wife & I will be ok with an MTA, we only change gear slow anyway :D, also i said our last auto was in 1985, i forgot my wifes Smart Brabus (which we traded for the Panda T/A) was an auto with paddles.

Back