AAAAAAAaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Currently reading:
AAAAAAAaaggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

I am not a happy bunny right now :mad:. As you know, 3 months ago I had my car resprayed, primarily because it was showing spots of rust around the rear arches, secondarily to change colour. At the time I pointed out the rust around the rear arches and that it needed looked at, he said he'd do it. Today I was checking tyre pressues and with the angle of the sunlight, spotted the rear arches are rusty again ALREADY. I'll be taking it up first thing tomorrow but to be honest there's not much he can do in one the one day I'm off work and I can't be without the car again as I now have no second car to rely on. Neither do I have enough money (due to payroll changes at work) to take it into say County Motors and get it all done there. Only real option is to use the sandpaper and galvanising primer I have bought and sort it myself then touch it up as best as I can. Not really what I expect 3 months after getting it back - 3 years maybe!

:bang:

Given my points above, what should I ask for from the bodyshop? A proportion of money back so I can afford to get it done at CM (never thought I would say that but I'm running out of ideas of places to go that can sort it right now), to have the arches sorted AGAIN (but I can't be without the car), a proportion of money back and DIY?

Thanks Dave and Ryan - to be honest that would be my preferred option, I just wasn't sure if it was unreasonable to ask for that! Will also ask him to patch it up tomorrow so it doesn't worsen as I know he won't be able to fit it in before Donny with all the usual last minute stuff. Then get it done properly afterwards.

I would have thought he would have known to use rust eater/ something to get surface rust off with, galvanising primer then normal primer then paint and lacquer. Even I know that, it's not rocket science :( Now you know why I'm tempted to do the job myself. Perhaps I should be more specific this time than 'there's rust on the rear arches here and here and here *points*, can you sort it please?' :bang:

It was originally only on one side, now on both. It's from stone chips, there were a fair few of them on the drivers arch and also on the main bodywork that had gone through the galvanisation, down to the metal and started rust spots. I don't mean big patches, I mean tiny spots you wouldn't see unless you looked for them but I feel it's better to get things tackled early than let them continue and need major work doing. That was the entire point of getting the respray as it would cost almost as much to get the individual chips sorted as to get the whole car done.

Problem with them re-doing it is the lack of a courtesy car, as I said I cannot afford to be without it, would take me HOURS to get to work in the morning, literally! I guess I'll just have to demand they provide one and see what is said.

Sorry to hear this Helz but from by knowledge of metal once the rust has taken hold its very hard to eradicate and the only way to get rid of it to some degree would be to grit blast the surface treat and re-coat :(

Update - went to see him this morning and he has stripped back what he can see and patched it up in black until after Donny. Also gave me a couple of options for afterwards, the most likely of which (and what I think should have been done in the first place when he knew there was rust there!) is to take the wheels off and work inside the lip of the arch and ensure it is all rust free and tight. Another option is to replace the arches now but that seems a tad drastc given the amount of rust present.

Back