A worry: the used car market

Currently reading:
A worry: the used car market

Magic Johnson

1.4 16v Nissan Note Visia
So all these fancy new cars are coming out, with special whatsits for more economic driving, vents that shut themselves, cars that park themselves, ridiculously complex gearboxes, clutches, braking systems, suspension, fancy electrics, computers ETC.

And that's in the cheaper ones, never mind the more expensive cars!

In 5 years' time, are we going to have a used car market full of these things that ordinary garages cannot fix without hundreds of hours of labour? Or will they be able to fix it at all? Will we become slaves to Arnold Clark and their horrendous pricing? Will their own mechanics even be able to fix it?

I am worried, I never have and never will buy a depreciating asset from new, but is this signalling a very expensive time for used car owners?

Can someone allay my fears?

Perhaps you should buy an older car and watch it go up in value, some nice old Jags around some even come with LPG conversions. I suspect petrol will get very expensive and hard to find as cars change over to electric though

OK well I guess thinking of it logically, the cars in a few years will be mostly recyclable and you will take them back to where you bought them for maintenance and eventual replacement. Depending on how many car manufacturers there are left by then, this could be a good thing if they compete against each other in the aftersales angle when selling a car initially. I cant see a future for second hand cars when they go electric, how many old TV's and Fridges do you buy or repair nowadays?

They won't go electric, why do you seem to think they will? Only a very small, and I mean tiny portion of cars will be electric. It's just as unsustainable and even more expensive than petrolium based cars. The government wants to stop pushing their agenda, it's becoming rather tedious.

BUT ALAS, this is for another thread! I am not talking long term, just within the next 5 years.

this is what everyone thought when they started selling cars with ECU'S and EFI, everyone soon learns how to fix new things

Do they? They rely on sensors and ECUs telling them what's wrong, if one of these fails then it can work out very expensive replacing parts that don't need replaced and spending hours and hours of labour time due to sheer guesswork.

This is only going to get worse, imo.

Do they? They rely on sensors and ECUs telling them what's wrong, if one of these fails then it can work out very expensive replacing parts that don't need replaced and spending hours and hours of labour time due to sheer guesswork.

This is only going to get worse, imo.

people charging you to fix things who haven't got a clue what they are doing, that has been happening since the first man found out how to tie a rock to a stick and make it a hammer

Well I was thinking lol
But cars will go electric as nothing else is sustainable, batteries will get cheaper which is the main cost.
Over the next 5 years nothing much will change though

Back