General A question for the selecta owners.

Currently reading:
General A question for the selecta owners.

How does your selecta cope with hills, as mine slows right down :(. When i was driving back from the Galashiels meet, i was happily driving along at 60mph, but i came to an uphill road and my speed dropped to 30-40mph and even the lorries were trying to overtake :(, so i was wondering what the other selecta owners thought about the selecta box on hills?

The torque is absolutely crap on the 1108's in general!! auto or manual.

I know im not a selecta but you have same engine just about. Mine is cack on hills.

an induction kit and zorst system would sort out a bit of the hill problem without an engine transplant, dunno if the GSR would be compatible for the selecta though

1242 and a selecta box = you becoming a guinea pig ;)

I'm sure if you were really into getting a more comfortable hill climb Chris then sticking the more modern punto engine and autobox is probably the best way... however i recommend just avoiding hills.

I also suspect each selecta reacts diffrently as mine drops in speed but not down to 40... it just keeps on dithering between gears a bit... we will see once it running again...

Tony M said:
... it just keeps on dithering between gears a bit... we will see once it running again...
Isn't it a CVT box? In which case, it doesn't have conventional gears - just a Constantly Variable Transmission drivebelt. Essentially the engine speed shouldn't vary - whether you're doing 20mph or 70 mph. . . .

my 899 cc cinq was rubbish on hils. however it would get up there eventually. country hills it coped with quite well. out doing the larger heavier cars.

but now with the new bravo....hills are no trouble at all

My 999cc FIRE Uno copes surprisingly well with hills. On the M40 eastbound (Princes Risborough exit) there's a really long steep hill that requires the gears being dropped to 4th and it will just cope with 60mph. Same hill going the other way I managed to get 106mph out of the old girl :eek:

Also, on the M1 southbound between junction 5 and 4 there's quite a steep hill. As long as I've wound the speed up before I get to it I can just get to the top holding 75mph. However, if I'm going up the hill at 60mph there's is virtually no acceleration left at all.

And Chris, if you managed 58mpg on your trip perhaps you need to put your foot down a bit harder to go up hills ;) :p

1986Uno45S said:
Chris, if you managed 58mpg on your trip perhaps you need to put your foot down a bit harder to go up hills ;) :p

all the way back from Galashiels i was doing 60mph (apart from the hills) so if i put my foot down any more, i would have been breaking the law :)

christopher watson said:
How does your selecta cope with hills, as mine slows right down :(. When i was driving back from the Galashiels meet, i was happily driving along at 60mph, but i came to an uphill road and my speed dropped to 30-40mph and even the lorries were trying to overtake :(, so i was wondering what the other selecta owners thought about the selecta box on hills?
:D Had a 1108 selecta for 6 years and on the long motorway inclines in north Derbyshire it still does 70 plus. Even though its been getting oil in the water for the last 8 months it still goes has well as ever. Also just passed another years mot. All ive spent over the years is 2 tyres , 1 back wheel bearing, 4 plugs, and cheap oil and filters . Welded an old mini exhaust box on the back a couple of years ago. Oh, and bought another selecta for spares for a few quid off ebay last year . My advice to any car owner who wants to keep it, is to get plenty of old engine oil in the sills and underneath.

Back