A question for all you Englander-ers...

Currently reading:
A question for all you Englander-ers...

18 although realisticly its 21+. 18yr olds get a huuuuge excess to pay in the event of an accident, you also usually need to leave a substantial deposit (which you get back upon safe return of the car). You will also be limited to very poor poxy car's such as a 1.0 corsa, Daehoo Matiz etc. If you book in advance your looking at about £20 a day for car hire.

Just did a search and you can get carhire for the whole month of september in a mini economy car for £436 including damage collision waiver for a 21 year old. Economy is 470 and medium family is 557. From Manchester airport. Changing age doesn't seem to affect the cost much.

England is expensive. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I filled up today at 105.9 a litre. That's about $2.18 a litre in AUD. Unless its gone to pot I don't think it's quite that expensive back home. Not yet at least. The NRMA website tells me that £136.9 was the highest in the state today. Money goes surprisingly quickly over here.

Anyway, back to the point, buy a Cinq for £300, get it insured for another £250 for compulsory third party fire and theft and use that to tour around the UK. Sell it on when you leave and recoup some funds. You're welcome to stay at my joint for a bit if you want. I'm close to but not actually in London.

Any particular reason for England over say mainland Europe?

England is expensive. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I filled up today at 105.9 a litre. That's about $2.18 a litre in AUD. Unless its gone to pot I don't think it's quite that expensive back home. Not yet at least. The NRMA website tells me that £136.9 was the highest in the state today. Money goes surprisingly quickly over here.

Anyway, back to the point, buy a Cinq for £300, get it insured for another £250 for compulsory third party fire and theft and use that to tour around the UK. Sell it on when you leave and recoup some funds. You're welcome to stay at my joint for a bit if you want. I'm close to but not actually in London.

Any particular reason for England over say mainland Europe?
Yeah but you live near London which is just stupid expensive. When I went back to Perth at Easter time last year it was certainly cheaper than here but not by a huge margin.

For mid-price accomodation, try Premier Inn. They are to be found in most places in Gt. Britain, although mainly around major population centres.

They generally cost around £60 per night, plus a fiver for breakfast, but then there's always McDonalds for Brekkies, or a local caff. I've stayed in them in North London (Kenton) near the very pretty Harrow-on-the-Hill, of Harrow School fame and in Caernarfon in N. Wales, both good locations. Kenton being a 15 minute tube ride into the West End (Piccadilly, Oxford St., Houses of Parliament, Imperial War Museum etc.) and the one in Caernarfon right on the Menai Strait and just a few hundred yards from the Castle. Both £60 per night. The other good thing about that chain is that, although often a bit characterless, they are always clean with 24hr. Reception and are safe.

Another idea in the Summer recess, is the Universities. Most will rent out rooms with, if not en-suite facilities, then certainly shared by at the most a little cluster of about 4 rooms. My parents have stayed in them at London and Cambridge Unis.

If you can get a good idea as to where you want to go, then why not try and see if you can get good, possibly student rates, on the trains by booking ahead, preferrably before you leave Oz.

I know £60 X 30 is a lot of dosh, you could combine a week at London Uni Halls of Residence with some odd nights in hotels. The Peremier Inn at Manchester Airport is doing rooms for £45 per night and its only 18 months old, plus there's a pub/restaurant nearby, The Romper where some of us meet one Sunday a month and a 5 minute bus ride will put you at the Airport Rail Station where you can get trains to wherever you want.

You could even start at Manchester, one of my colleagues goes to Oz every year to stay with his ex-wife and her husband - don't ask - and he always flies Singapore Airlines to Singapore, ooh what a surprise, and from there to Perth. Or alternatively end there with a few days in the North West.

A month is a long time and pretty expensive in most countries, but then I suppose you could always try and see if you could get some accomodation from members on here. Any offers?

Last edited:
Ah, probably should have pointed out that we have this quaint old custom in England whereby we rob strangers, burn them at the stake, bury their remains in the woods and dance around on their graves.

Although to be fair, that role has been largely taken over by the Government nowadays.

But don't let that put you off. Come visit, just don't waste your money on a return ticket.....Mwa.....ha..ha....ha.....ha!

Ah, probably should have pointed out that we have this quaint old custom in England whereby we rob strangers, burn them at the stake, bury their remains in the woods and dance around on their graves.

Nah, you're thinking of Australia where daft Brits travel around the outback in camper vans and then get kidnapped and murdered :)

Nah, you're thinking of Australia where daft Brits travel around the outback in camper vans and then get kidnapped and murdered :)
I don't know, you give these people a fresh start. You send them halfway round the world to give them the chance of a lifetime to an exotic, warm location with fabulous flora and fauna.....and this is how they repay us.

I don't know, you give these people a fresh start. You send them halfway round the world to give them the chance of a lifetime to an exotic, warm location with fabulous flora and fauna.....and this is how they repay us.
Don't whine to me! I've only got South African blood in my veins. None of that convict crap! I just grew up in Australia, went to university and then never paid my tuition back ;)

LOL @ people offering accomodation to an Aussie. He'll steal all your bread, eat your babies (you didn't really think it was a dingo did you?) and his countrymen will beat you and take your precious ashes :p

Don't whine to me! I've only got South African blood in my veins. None of that convict crap! I just grew up in Australia, went to university and then never paid my tuition back ;)

LOL @ people offering accomodation to an Aussie. He'll steal all your bread, eat your babies (you didn't really think it was a dingo did you?) and his countrymen will beat you and take your precious ashes :p
The Courts just couldn't be ar*ed to send your ancestors all the way to Australia so they just dropped them all off half way. Either that or the ship's Captain was using a GPS and he put the wrong postcode in.

One final bit of advice stay away from motorway service station toilets late at night!.
That's odd, I never see anybody dodgy when I'm hanging around motorway service station toilets late at night. Maybe 5 or 6 hours isn't enough.

The Courts just couldn't be ar*ed to send your ancestors all the way to Australia so they just dropped them all off half way. Either that or the ship's Captain was using a GPS and he put the wrong postcode in.

My ancestors aren't British ;) They went willingly to SA from Holland :p

Back