A bad policy

Currently reading:
A bad policy

a whopping great £20 a week. better than a kick in the teeth, but its all swings and roundabouts. a few losses here, a few savings there, i'd rather see real change, fiddling a few figures hardly makes a difference to life. its all about headlines and votes.

i dont understand the logic of married couples getting that?

married couples are more likely to vote than single people, so a little £20 sweetener in the headlines could work out as a very cheap bribe. lots of little bribes win elections. the key is to bend over people who dont vote and reward those who do.

and the couples living together dont vote?

i assume the evil spies want to know what relationship everyone is to each other when you register on the electoral role (i wouldnt know, not been on it :p) so it would be possible to calcualte the percetange of couples who vote. assuming they could, and they havent offered the £20 to couples, it suggests couples dont vote as much as married couples. alternatively it could also mean this would be easily taken advantage of because you cant prove you're a couple in the same way a married couple can produce a wedding cert, so in theory if they did give this £20 to couples everyone in the country would suddenly be "living with a partner as if they are married". last thing we need is yet more easily abused hand outs.

Back