Technical 95 Tipo died after engine wash...

Currently reading:
Technical 95 Tipo died after engine wash...

rune

...should have known better, but now it is done... It worked fine for a mile or two, the died suddenly... It started again after a while, but then it died completely. Have tried drying( inside and outside) and checked everyting... The problem is that there is no spark at the "plugs" (i dont know the english word!) Since this is a 95 (1,6s), there is a Bosch ignition system with everythin electronic.... Any ideas???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

...the problem is that there is no distribuator cap (or there is one, but it cannot be opened!)! It is an electronic Bosch unit!!!!

Last edited:
...the problem is that there is no distribuator cap (or there is one, but it cannot be opened!)! It is an electronic Bosch unit!!!!

Do you have any WD40 or equivalent water disperser solvent ? Take the plug leads off one by one and clean and spray the ends. The distributor cap will come off.
Another way, is to take the plugs out also, and bake them for a few minutes in the oven to get them nice and hot. This will aid starting. And try using a hair dryer around the electrical components to dry them off. I am worried you have got water in the ECU which is placed i think at front of engine. Last time i saw an ECU water logged, was on a BMW, and it cost over £400 to fix!!
My best advice to anyone, is please do not pressure wash your engine!!!!

Andy.

...have tried every possible drying... ...and spraying... I am also arfraid it is the ECU... Bosch price about £1000 !!! I have a used one available, but I do not want to blow that one as well!!! There might also be a problem with the coil (also electronic from Bosch)..., and maybe it has nothing to do with the engine wash! But I strongly agree: Do not pressurewash Your engine!!!!

...have tried every possible drying... ...and spraying... I am also arfraid it is the ECU... Bosch price about £1000 !!! I have a used one available, but I do not want to blow that one as well!!! There might also be a problem with the coil (also electronic from Bosch)..., and maybe it has nothing to do with the engine wash! But I strongly agree: Do not pressurewash Your engine!!!!

Are you getting a spark and fuel to the engine? Have you checked?

Andy.

It is now official: My Tipo is braindead.... At least according to a local Bosch testcenter... An new(used) brain is ordered, and all I can do is to hope.... Thanks for the help!

don't believe that. had a uno that did the same. Flywheel sensor. RAC bloke stated that ECU is often citied but rarely faulty, they are well sealed and remember reading an article that said 80% of ECUs sent back as fault turn out to be fully functioning.

I am back on the road!!! I got a new (very rusty and it looked totaly rotten!!!) used ECU and the car started just like in the good old days... Opend myold ECU (wich looks OK from the outside) and it was damp inside with som small sign of corrosion... Will try to clean and dry it, just to see if it comes to live again!

Back