Technical 899 Cylinder Head change - Some advice Plz

Currently reading:
Technical 899 Cylinder Head change - Some advice Plz

Michael D

Regarding builds is there much difference between the Seicento 899 + the Cinquecento 899 engine as any info regarding changing a cylinder head isn't very clear , I tried to get a book today but alas the Sei is seemingly not covered in this dept , also any info regarding anything to do with cylinder strip down on The Fiat Forum is on the Cinq 899 or the 1108 , could I go on these ? I have taken it down to being ready to take the top cam off . Where is the timing chain situated (is it right next to the alternator) and what do I need to do in this dept regarding Cylinder head removal .Ta !

FIAT > Fart-In-A-Trance <

Is there something wrong with the engine?

Get the cinq manual, it covers the 899 engine. The sei 899 engine is almost identical.

Ming
Yes Ming its actually a new thread regarding my ongoing situation :
My dilemma being that I believe the Cinq 899 is a Cam belt drive and my Sei is a Cam chain drive ?
Also do I need to set the valve timing before I take the rocker cam + tappets off to swap heads ? Cheers .

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecen...haze-time-new-engine.html?highlight=blue+haze

The cam is at the bottom of the engine, there is nothing to deal with involving the cam during a head change.

Just make sure the pushrods go back in the same hole they came out of.

As Ming says, exactly the same engine as Cinq 899 so the cinq manual is perfect for you, either Porters or Haynes.

Cheers

SPD

Last edited:
Yes Ming its actually a new thread regarding my ongoing situation :
My dilemma being that I believe the Cinq 899 is a Cam belt drive and my Sei is a Cam chain drive ?
Also do I need to set the valve timing before I take the rocker cam + tappets off to swap heads ? Cheers .

https://www.fiatforum.com/cinquecen...haze-time-new-engine.html?highlight=blue+haze

nope the cinq is chain driven, i didnt have to to set valve timing or preload on the rockers when i did it

the reason you don't have to do timing is because the crank-shaft and cam-shaft are in the block, which don't have to be touched, just make sure you put the pushrods in straight

I'm at the rocker arm stage (Photo 10th Down) but held back from doing this as I new most of the valves would be pressured and thought there must be a nack to this : also I kinda stopped what I was doing as I thought > Where is the chain in the equation and don't I need to put cylinder 1 to TDC before removing the rocker arm ?

when you remove the rocker arm (bar across the top which connect push-rod to valve) all tension is taken off the vavles

you dont have to set it to tdc on cyl1 and timing wont be affected

the timing belt even thow i haven't looked at it, i would say cylinder one end under a cover to keep it in all nice oil

Ash

It doesn't matter where the timing is.

When undoing the rocker shaft do it a few turns on each post in turn. As the tappets come loose wrap masking tape round them to stop them coming to bits.

Once the shaft is undone and all the tappets bound with tape, lift the whole assembly off the posts.

Remove each pushrod in turn. Either mark with tape or push through piece of cardboard marked appropriately so that you can put them back in the same hole.

Cheers

SPD

Thanks a lot Guy's , Confidence regained and rarin to go tomorrow will let you know the result soon . Cheers !

OK putting Cylinder head on today (Thanks Dave !) Need to know this

1: Flitting rocker arm + tappets from the head I'm taking off and installing on new head , question is : I will have to readjust all tappets is this correct ?

2:What is the best/quickest/most reliable way of accomplishing this ? i.e clearances firing order + anything else anyone can advise me on ?

Thanks ..

OK putting Cylinder head on today (Thanks Dave !) Need to know this

1: Flitting rocker arm + tappets from the head I'm taking off and installing on new head , question is : I will have to readjust all tappets is this correct ?

2:What is the best/quickest/most reliable way of accomplishing this ? i.e clearances firing order + anything else anyone can advise me on ?

Thanks ..

there hydraulic so you shouldn't have to, i used the rocker arm off an old scrap one and i didn't number the pushrods :rolleyes: and it runs sweet now

Ash

Just because they are, but if there are adjustment screws you need to set the preload.

Cheers

SPD
Just nipped down and had a look : definitely no adjuster screws/nuts on tappets ,there are wee piston type things on one side..

these were the ones in my cinq, if yours are the same then you done have to set preload

DSC00713.jpg

Looks to me that the Sei 899 and late Cinq 899 have pure hydraulic setup with no adjustment and that only early Cinq 899 have the adjusters.

So his Sei won't have any adjustment unless someone has put the older system in at some point.

Personally I went even older and retrofitted the non hydraulic Panda setup.

Hi , So it looks like the little cylinders on the the rocker arm that sits on top of the valve has free movement , is this what is referred to as self adjusting or am I missing the point regarding this area cheers ..

Back