Technical 77 spider 124 engine troubles

Currently reading:
Technical 77 spider 124 engine troubles

jdgill89

recently i purchased a 77 fiat spider 124. its in pretty rough shape but it ran (poorly) so i decided to go for it mainly because it was only 600 dollars which for me was a steal.

i took it home and the first thing i decided to do was rebuild the carb. turns out there were two completely blocked ports. bad part though, i did mark the lines and the carb so i know where they went, but the carb cleaner took all the markings off so i had to pretty much guess. if anybody has any experience or a manual that would be great.

it also has new distributor cap, plugs and wires.

things that need to be fixed :
-seems like a lot of smoke from the tail pipe
-lots of small backfires from the tail pipe
-idles rough and spits and sputters
-cant adjust the idle set screws because they literally do nothing
-when it does eventually die (and it does every few minutes it running) it stutters real bad and backfires out the carb
-after it seems to stabilize, if i press the throttle, after it revs down it will die.

i took a video of the carburetor with the car running so maybe you guys can help:

http://youtu.be/p51FrfDfIQs

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. i think the timing may be off but i have no idea how to adjust it. let me know if you have any ideas!

thanks!

also it would be a great help if anyone had a repair manual. i looked in the download section buy my model wasnt even up there

Photographs and diagrams in the Spider workshop manual don't show carburettor component locations. Two pages below from the spare parts manual may help you.

Attachments

• 19 Carburetor 1975-1978 A.jpg
    19 Carburetor 1975-1978 A.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 20 Carburetor 1975-1978 B.jpg
    20 Carburetor 1975-1978 B.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 49
Photographs and diagrams in the Spider workshop manual don't show carburettor component locations. Two pages below from the spare parts manual may help you.

They didn't really show me much. I have the same picture that came with my carb rebuild kit.
I appreciate the effort though, thanks

1. Check your ignition timing.
2. Sounds like the valves need adjusting.
3. How many miles on the motor? Smoking could be worn rings or valve guides - these motors require rebuilding between 70,000 and 110,000 miles.

It could be your points use 400 wet / dry sandpaper on the contacts or replace them. J.J.

Back