6x9's Good or Bad

Currently reading:
6x9's Good or Bad

abinger36

Just wondered what every ones opinion on speakers in the rear of a car. Personally i don't have them and would never add any to a car, and i have disconnected the standard ones in my MK2 Punto.

I know a bloke (won't call him a friend) who has 5 6x9's in his parcel shelf it sounds absolutely **** and he has a twelve inch sub in boot which is ruining them anyway, it makes me laugh.

argh :bang: not the 6x9 debate again :cry:

oh sorry i haven't been a member for that long!

and i believe one is in mono that would make sense, im not sure how they are wired, but where the other one in the set for the centre one went i don't know.

I know a bloke (won't call him a friend) who has 5 6x9's in his parcel shelf it sounds absolutely **** and he has a twelve inch sub in boot which is ruining them anyway, it makes me laugh.[/QUOTE]

they guy is a total mug

6x9s are rubbish

every single speaker must do only 1 job no matter if its a sub, mid or tweeter. 6x9s are 2way or 3way or 4way so they shouldnt be used imo. you're better off with components.

hahahahahaha 5 6x9's what the hell! lol i want to hear how bad that sounds.... :p

You want a few good quality speakers and a sub personalll y i like 6x9's but everyone has their own opinion. (y)

they guy is a total mug

6x9s are rubbish

I know that you are listening to what people say on here but often 6x9's are very useful to those who are not building a show stiopping audio sytem in their cars. There advantage being price as before now they are much better than buying a set coaxiles even though that thought is getting a bit out dated now.
Anyway my point is 5 6x9's may actually look quite good and its all about personal preference. Stop ripping people because of what they do, every comment that you have made that i have seen recently doesnt acactually show any real knowledge. Go out and practice what you preach before you preach it so knowledge turns to understanding. Now i dont clam to be any sort of guru but it does p**s me of when people do this.

To give an example,

My laguna has been 'kitted out' with 4 x 60watt RMS coaxil speakers.
2 in the front door pods, and 2 at the sides of the parcel shelf.

Yesterday, one of my Chav friends came down. He had a Massive sub and 2 6x9's in the boot.

Opened all the doors and the boot on the cars (his was a corsa:rolleyes:) and both played our music loud.

mine sounded FAR FAR better than the chavs. You could hear every note, and the 4 speakers were producing enough of a thump to produce natural sounding bass.

The chav car...well all we could hear.. "BOOM rattle BOOM" and some background noise through the 6x9's.

Last edited:
6x9 not good with a sub but your comparing sq to spl they are totally incomaparable but his prob could have sounded better having used an amp or by setting it up a bit better. 60W RMS is not i high rating so if you had given the same story if they had been run off the same amp and set up to same drivers then we could be discussing a completely different story.

I know that you are listening to what people say on here but often 6x9's are very useful to those who are not building a show stiopping audio sytem in their cars. There advantage being price as before now they are much better than buying a set coaxiles even though that thought is getting a bit out dated now.
Anyway my point is 5 6x9's may actually look quite good and its all about personal preference. Stop ripping people because of what they do, every comment that you have made that i have seen recently doesnt acactually show any real knowledge. Go out and practice what you preach before you preach it so knowledge turns to understanding. Now i dont clam to be any sort of guru but it does p**s me of when people do this.

well there is no need for me to ramble on when 6x9s have been discussed how many times on here?

parcel shelf speakers - are known to distort when used with a sub, and the parcel shelf is where 6x9s live 95% of the time.

and i do practis what i preach, seeing as when i asked basically the same question a year ago, i was advised against them. and whenever i have heard 6x9s with subs, they have sounded poor.
on their own, i find nothignwrong with them, put them in your doors, pur them in rear quarters, they are fine, and personally i actually quite like how they look

you seem to have a go at everything i say just for the sake, when there are plenty of other users who have even blunter answers than mine! ones that dont even bare any information more useful than common sense!

Its nothing against you its just people seem to be a bit closed minded on here like if one person says you shouldnt use 6x9's then everybody takes that as gospal.
I actually used 6x9's in my Polo and it sounded pretty good for the money that was spent. I also feel that if you diong your first system then they are easier to fit than any others. But 5 6x9's is a bit over the top and probably totally useless.
I cannot comment on SQ really because i think my own system sounds pretty crap ATM i need to get a new setting unit for my monoblock amp as none of the dials work and my front speakers are not setup properly so i cant get it up anywhere near what its max volume should be. But as soon as i can be a bit more mobile i will be sorting it out.

Back