Technical 5W/30 or 10W/40, that is the question...

Currently reading:
Technical 5W/30 or 10W/40, that is the question...

i would use 5w30 anyway it's what fiat say to put in
after all you wouldnt want a blood transplant from a fat loser now would you

it's the bigger number that counts anyway when it comes to the oils viscosity when warm

but right now unless you really really want me to i'm not going to explain the ins an outs of multi grade oil and how it's made

Well according to 'Fiats' End user manual for the punto it recomends both 5w/40 and 10w/40 depending on driving and weather conditions!. I'll scan the page if yo don't believe me :p.

Nope it says all petrol engines which includes the 1.2 and 1.4 16v'ers.

it does not say all infact it's pretty shady as to exactly what engine

it says

use______________specifictions of the lubricants and fuids
_________________ to use for best car operation

petrol engine_______sae 15w40 grade mineral or semi synthetic
lubricants__________multigrade oils that exceed the ccmc g4,api sg
__________________specifications or sae 10w40 grade oils that
(except GT verions)__exceed the ccmc g5 and api sh specifications

petrol engine_______sae 10w40 grade mineral or synthetic
lubricants exceed___multigrade oils that ccmc g5, api sh
the_______________specifications

but on newer 16v engines fiat now use 5w30
basically any engine with hydraulic tappets

from my and my dads experience

if you put 10w40 into a new 16v engine they get noisy tappets i have had many people come in at work with this problem and I have put 5w30 in there cars again this makes them quiet again

what i find with older 16 engines is when they were new 10w40 was fine

and normally a good quality 10w40 is still fine today for these but now and again we get a noisy one at work but after servicing with 5w30 and a good run they are quiet again

this is why I say put 5w30 in all fiat 16v engines i also put it in 899cc seichentos it makes those quiet too as they have hydraulic tappets on the rockers

if you put 2 thicker oil in a hydraulic tappet engine it can actually hold the valve open at high rpm and burn them out my dad had to repair an engine this had happened to and found the owner was using something like 15w40 it was a 1.6 stilo 16v

Last edited:
I know there are 2 years gone but the subject is always very interesting.

So, dear Sultan, as you seem having a good experience I'd like to have your opinion on a subject:

I own an Alfa Romeo 156 with a 1.8 TS gasoline Engine (June 2002). On the latest oil change the mechanic (not an official Alfa one) put an IGOL Profive C3 5W30 oil.

This oil has the following characteristics:

SAE 5W-30
ACEA C3 and A3/B3/B4
API SM/CF

which are normally superseding the constructor's specs for this engine.
Nevertheless, in many forums from Alfa owners I read that 5W30 oils are too thin and they might damage the hydraulic tappets or even provoke a "grippage" (?, sorry, I live in France and my english is a bit awful) of the upper part of the motor. In general, for some people, this type of oil practically destroys an Alfa Twin Spark motor.

I made just some hundreds of km with this oil and for me it seems the motor runs smoother than before but I think also that in heavy traffic jam the temperature gets a bit higher than before.

Have you any practical experience with this combination of motor (alfa 1.8 TS)?

Thank you in advance

I finally convinced the garage to change the oil for a 10W40 (brand: Igol Process) at their own expenses.

For the time being what I can observe is that he car consumes much more petrol in the short trips in town.

I finally convinced the garage to change the oil for a 10W40 (brand: Igol Process) at their own expenses.

For the time being what I can observe is that he car consumes much more petrol in the short trips in town.

well yes that is right.

i would of gone with 5w40 personally but 10w40 is deffinatly better than 5w30, it is just too thin for your engine.

well yes that is right.

i would of gone with 5w40 personally but 10w40 is deffinatly better than 5w30, it is just too thin for your engine.

I'll stay with the 10W40. Finally the difference in consumption seems to come from the use of simple "95" gasoline instead of the special "98 Excelium" of Total I used when I had the 5W30 in the motor and which is supposed to reduce fuel consumption (and it seems that it does).
Thus, with the same fuel in the engine, the oil does not seem to make such a big difference (in terms of gasoline consumption, I mean).

Anyhow, my personal statistical basis is very low because I just made 500 km with the 5W30 oil. And I think they'll be the last I'll do with this grade.

Well, the "oil adventure" approaching to its end, I'll have all the luxury to spend time on the squeaking of the upper wishbones...after having changed the stabilization rod and the silent-blocs and rods of the rear part.

Quand on aime on ne compte pas, we say in french (when you love, you do not count...)

Attachments

• sans imm simple.jpg
    sans imm simple.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 39
Phone dfiat today as i needed an oil change they advised and i quote "we only use magnatec at our service station" so thats what i used today.
Lets hope its fine.

1.2 16v stilo

Back