Technical 595 Abarth damaged hydraulic lifters

Currently reading:
Technical 595 Abarth damaged hydraulic lifters

So from the beginning. Garage I do work for occasionally sold the car a couple of months ago. Customer brought it back with a ticking noise. Had a listen sounded like a bad hydraulic lifter on cylinder 2. Ordered a couple just incase (cars only done 25000)

Pulled it apart tonight and wasn’t expecting what I found. Timing was spot on timing tools all lined up perfectly.

One lifter was caved in and punched through. Several others slightly concave and showing impact damage.

All the valves move freely when compressed by hand.
Oil is full and clean.

Any one seen this on these engines?
I’m thinking possibly it’s been massively over revved maybe an accidental down change while accelerating.
Obviously I wasn’t present when this has occurred. Any one have first hand experience?

Attachments

• 1880348D-73D5-4F36-B65F-D1A592DA4C07.jpeg
    1880348D-73D5-4F36-B65F-D1A592DA4C07.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 233
  • 7DB12000-463C-475C-B0DB-EFCF05DF28A6.jpeg
    7DB12000-463C-475C-B0DB-EFCF05DF28A6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 125
I'm always suspicious of 'full and clean' oil, as so often it has been topped up after failure.
Those lifters look like ones that have been starved of oil for some time. Of course the damage was done before this customer bought it, as that is not short-term wear. I would think the previous owner has skimped on servicing, resulting in old oil, and low oil levels. Likely the oil feed to the head and lifters is now dirty and restricted, so new lifters is not enough. head needs to come off for all oilways to be cleaned.

I'm always suspicious of 'full and clean' oil, as so often it has been topped up after failure.
Those lifters look like ones that have been starved of oil for some time. Of course the damage was done before this customer bought it, as that is not short-term wear. I would think the previous owner has skimped on servicing, resulting in old oil, and low oil levels. Likely the oil feed to the head and lifters is now dirty and restricted, so new lifters is not enough. head needs to come off for all oilways to be cleaned.

Guy that bought it has done less than a thousand miles. I did drive it before it was sold and sounded absolutely fine. Unfortunately it wasn’t me that did the service on it before it left. So I don’t know what the oil that came out then was like.
Cam is obviously also damaged.
So going full hog and replacing the complete cylinder head. Will be dropping the sump to check and clean the oil pick up at the same time.

wow theyve had a real beating ,,with no oil im surprised they didnt weld themselves in their bores,,lot more to this story i,m sure ,certainly never to be known

Back