General 54 Sporting lairy in the wet?

Currently reading:
General 54 Sporting lairy in the wet?

alexb

Anyone else found their Mk2b Sportings to be really lairy and unstable in the wet??

Mine's straight out of the box with no mods and the tyres it had on it when it left the factory (P6000). I know they're not the greatest of tyres, but they give nearly no traction at all in the wet.

Perhaps it's a chassis issue, not a tyre issue, as I had P6000's on my old Pug 306 and it used to corner fantastically in the wet or dry...The Punto handles quite well in the dry but is absolutely shocking in the wet.

Any suggestions?

Lower it lots and lots :)

Then get some new tyres, had Yoko A539s on my sporting worked a treat, but I hear the Eagle F1s work fantastically on the Puntos (and well... all cars).

Lowering is out of the question!

I've heard that Eagles F1's are good. How well do they wear? When it comes to tyre change time, I might just stick a set on.

I'll have a go with a digi pressure gauge - Might throw up some light!

I found the P6000s didn't give enough grip.

The Eagle F1s are suppose to have tonnes of grip, but they do wear very quickly.

I went with the yokos because they were cheaper, gave good grip and weren't as soft as the Eagle F1s.

If you can afford the Eagle F1s and afford to replace them more often than other tyres go for them.

I had P5000s and found them bad in the wet too. I now use a set of Cooper Cobra's all round and find they give all-round better grip.

P6000's on the JTD are just as bad...

Handled like a drunk dog....

Now have michellin energy's on the front... much better, p6000's wouldn't even handle the torque from the engine and would spin all over the place....

Well I use uniroyal rainsports, they are the dogs dangalers, not had mine lowerd yet, but stick pretty well at 65 on a bends

I hate the Uniroyal Sports, got them on my clio.

It's not that they're real bad, just not great. I'll wait until they have worn out before replacing them, but certainly go with the Yokos, Eagle F1s, or I have been hearing good things about the Exalto PE2s.

gregit said:
p6000's wouldn't even handle the torque from the engine and would spin all over the place....

Indeed.

Well, once mine have worn suitably I won't be replacing them with P6000, that's for sure.

i think it'll be a "wear the front, swap for the rears, wear the rears, then change all 4" job.

if you want it to handle well and grip well then lower it slighly about 30-40mm(probably wont alter insurance if thats what your thinking) and stick on some yokos cant beat em for the money you pay.

also where are you having trouble is it sitting straight going down the motorway in which case id be worried or is it going 60 round a 60mph bend in which case it needs lowering

Found the standard P6000 were awful aswell in the wet. Went for some Toyo T1-S on all four, dramatic improvement in all conditions. Now running some T1-R on the front, don't appear to be any different than the T1-S, but I'm hoping the different tread pattern along the edge will increase the tyre life a bit more than last time.

The younger modder said:
lower it slighly about 30-40mm(probably wont alter insurance if thats what your thinking)

I'm with "standard cars only" Direct Line so in my case it will I'm afriad.

It'll alter my warranty though - Like it'll void everything that goes wrong with the car connected to the suspension/drive shafts. It's a bugger - I checked!

The younger modder said:
also where are you having trouble is it sitting straight going down the motorway in which case id be worried or is it going 60 round a 60mph bend in which case it needs lowering

No no, it's fine in a straight line, just round the bends. So many people rate the handling of the Punto - I don't!!

I'm going to try some new tyres at some stage...

Anyways, it's only really in the wet, so lowering wouldn't help a great deal.

Never had Toyo Proxes myself, but I've been in mates cars that have and they didn't feel safe one bit!

I've have only heard bad things about them! Way over rated it seems!

Back