General 53 1.9 JTD Teething Probs....HELP!!

Currently reading:
General 53 1.9 JTD Teething Probs....HELP!!

rosey58

Hi all, new boy here.

PLease can any of you shed shome light on a few teething probs I'm having. I have bought a 53 plate 1.9 JTD with 98500 miles on the clock, I'd a cat D write off, NSF wing was hit and the headlight smashed. On looking at it, the NSF is a little bent but has been straightened with a little persuasion. The airbags have not deployed, unfortunatley I do not know how it happened, looks like th ecar was stationary and somehting has nudged it.

I can only assume that the battery has nearly had it, I've put a 65Ah battery on it as the one that it came wth was flat and very small indeed. When turning the ignition on, I got a host of errors, EBS faliure, ABS Faliure, Air bag Faliure, Security Faliure and loose connection. After a couple of attempts to start the engine fired and all ran well. No Error messages were on the dash. I opened the bonnet to see what the battery was reading, as I opened the bonnet the engine cut out and lots of error messages were showing and it would not turn over, the lights were all dim and the dash not lighting up, although checking the battery it showerd 12v.

Any help or pointers will be much appreciated as I need to get the car on the road within 10 days with a ticket on it.

Cheers

Simon

You will get a reply from someone very soon advising you to put a very hefty battery in it. Stilo JTDs are very power hungry - it's not just the voltage of the battery that counts, it's the ampage too. A weaker battery can cause all sorts of gremlins in the electricals.
Also, if the car's been standing for a while, check the D connector under the battery fuses - it's prone to damp and subsequent electrical confusion - there's something in the guides section.

Back