General 500X Buyers Advice

Currently reading:
General 500X Buyers Advice

Ah, but it depends on the size of the push chair. The one we have is a tight fit in the Swift and as the 500x isn’t as wide, I can foresee problems. But the wife reckons it will be alright and as we know, they are always right🤣
You just need to jump up and down on it! or cut it in half and it WILL go in especially if 'er in charge' says so!

Had our Sport a week now. Compared to our Swift, it seems huge, but we are getting used to it. Collected from a dealer 169 miles from us, so a good run back. Goes very well considering the engine size, although it always feels ‘edgy’, not particularly smooth. The spec and finish are top notch. I had already found a US supplier of original mud guards and they arrived on Friday and have been fitted. So far, really pleased and the push chair does fit in the boot with the detachable front wheels removed👍😁

Hi all, I'm back on the forum after a long time away. Been posting across some different model sections to gather some thoughts on coming back to a Fiat. I've seen quite a few 500X models for shockingly low prices compared to new. I remember years ago the consensus was that Fiat's quality on the 500X was a bit lacking - that's not to insult it, every car has its faults and I know we were well aware of the common thing with the Panda etc over in that section, never really anything that made it a bad buy.

With the 500X, what are some good tips or things to know and avoid or opt for?

They have much better specs than the smaller models, what are the automatics like? Avoid like the Dualogic? (maybe it is the Dualogic?)

These still have the style of any Fiat, and they seem to be quite good value used so I'd love to hear any of your tips / experiences as owners.
I have 18 reg 1.4 Pop and it had its MOT yesterday. It has had no faults, except one persistent issue, since we bought it with 9000 miles on the clock in 2018 and there were no issues yesterday. The persistent fault concerns the electronic handbrake which sporadically fails to release. This is a pain especially when doing a hill start as you end up juggling around the three pedals - (footbrake to get the handbrake to release) - with your two feet. I could just rely on the hill hold gizmo, but I don't like being stopped for any length of time with my brake lights dazzling drivers behind me. Fiat unable to solve this despite two or three attempts. Ah, and just remembered - it came with a faulty infotainment head unit, but that was solved very early on. Apart from this, a very reliable vehicle.

I have 18 reg 1.4 Pop and it had its MOT yesterday. It has had no faults, except one persistent issue, since we bought it with 9000 miles on the clock in 2018 and there were no issues yesterday. The persistent fault concerns the electronic handbrake which sporadically fails to release. This is a pain especially when doing a hill start as you end up juggling around the three pedals - (footbrake to get the handbrake to release) - with your two feet. I could just rely on the hill hold gizmo, but I don't like being stopped for any length of time with my brake lights dazzling drivers behind me. Fiat unable to solve this despite two or three attempts. Ah, and just remembered - it came with a faulty infotainment head unit, but that was solved very early on. Apart from this, a very reliable vehicle.
Same for my 2015 500X with regards to the electronic handbrake. Try doing a hill start with 1000kg towed load and a parking brake that fails to release. With no rear view of a possible car parked directly behind you and out of wing mirror sight then the 3 pedal juggle is potentially dangerous if there is any roll back.

I have found that when it fails to release then back to neutral, clutch up, foot off accelerator, possibly a couple of times, can be enough get the release to work. Also foot on brake pedal, manual release, manual engage, foot off brake and try again. The EPB (electronic park brake) is the only thing I have about my 500X other than the melting DRL bulb holders. Two issues Fiat have never fixed along with stupid software update that messed with the deadlocks if you use the passive entry system. Before the update the deadlocks could only be set from the key fob with a quick two button click. After then just pressing the door button would engage to deadlocks. Very dangerous IMHO. Too easy to deadlock kids, adults, passengers in the car when you go to pay for fuel or nip into a shop etc.

Same for my 2015 500X with regards to the electronic handbrake. Try doing a hill start with 1000kg towed load and a parking brake that fails to release. With no rear view of a possible car parked directly behind you and out of wing mirror sight then the 3 pedal juggle is potentially dangerous if there is any roll back.

I have found that when it fails to release then back to neutral, clutch up, foot off accelerator, possibly a couple of times, can be enough get the release to work. Also foot on brake pedal, manual release, manual engage, foot off brake and try again. The EPB (electronic park brake) is the only thing I have about my 500X other than the melting DRL bulb holders. Two issues Fiat have never fixed along with stupid software update that messed with the deadlocks if you use the passive entry system. Before the update the deadlocks could only be set from the key fob with a quick two button click. After then just pressing the door button would engage to deadlocks. Very dangerous IMHO. Too easy to deadlock kids, adults, passengers in the car when you go to pay for fuel or nip into a shop etc.
Do you think this issue is a ‘batch’ one as, the wife has a renegade, you don’t see the issue cropping up on the Jeep forums. The only, well documented case, is that of earlier models that the brake didn’t engage fully if you switched off before releasing the foot brake, which killed that US actor.
The deadlock issue seems to be across multiple manufacturers, there was a ‘cheat’ on fords system but can’t, for the life of me, remember what it was. I know it stopped remote dead locking so it could only be done by the key, which on FCA cars is a mute point as, if you operate by remote, and a kid, pet or otherwise is left in the car, the alarm goes off.

Do you think this issue is a ‘batch’ one as, the wife has a renegade, you don’t see the issue cropping up on the Jeep forums. The only, well documented case, is that of earlier models that the brake didn’t engage fully if you switched off before releasing the foot brake, which killed that US actor.
The deadlock issue seems to be across multiple manufacturers, there was a ‘cheat’ on fords system but can’t, for the life of me, remember what it was. I know it stopped remote dead locking so it could only be done by the key, which on FCA cars is a mute point as, if you operate by remote, and a kid, pet or otherwise is left in the car, the alarm goes off.
Batch? No information to call on.

On the 500X the deadlock issue can be overcome by disabling "passive entry". I also now have this set for security reasons. With no passive entry the "Relay Attacks" don't work so the car has to be physically broken into.

My 500X and other later Fiats no longer have alarms and just use the integrated immobiliser functions.

I've had a big ear wrapping from my wife as I deadlocked her in the car whilst going to pay for fuel and a comfort break. She wanted to get out of the car and could not. Does not take long for anybody to panic in previously unexperienced situations that restrain you from doing what you want to. Had my car caught fire (worst case) she could have been toast!

Test drove an Abarth 595 and been looking (and tempted by a few) Panda's too. The big issue with them really is knowing if I'll really be content going back down to a smaller car. However, on the 500X front, bigger car, little more practicality, more features.

What is the best bet if I want heated seats, and an Auto gearbox - which engines are worth getting?
CarPlay is a bonus - but I'm aware might not be on the older ones, not a show stopper though

Seen a 1.0 Petrol - surely that won't last in time?

You want the 1.3 DCT if it's an auto you're after. That's got 150bhp and is a bit of a beast.

I went 1.0ltr and "just" 120bhp since I fancied a manual, thinking ahead to it lasting 10+ years.

Both engines are turbo-charged and I don't have any reason to think the 1.0ltr engine won't last forever. It's on 11k now and doesn't seem to be using any oil... although when it was brand new/pre its first service, it used half a litre over 9000 miles. As has been said, it's fast enough and the triple cylinder sound is quite interesting.

The 1.3 is a 4-pot (each cylinder is 333cc basically, same components as the 1.0ltr) and both of them have chain drive, not cam-belts... so my biggest pre-occupation is finding the right oil (0W20 weirdness) so I can change it as Fiat says, or twice as often, once it's out of its service plan.

Ralf S.

You want the 1.3 DCT if it's an auto you're after. That's got 150bhp and is a bit of a beast.

I went 1.0ltr and "just" 120bhp since I fancied a manual, thinking ahead to it lasting 10+ years.

Both engines are turbo-charged and I don't have any reason to think the 1.0ltr engine won't last forever. It's on 11k now and doesn't seem to be using any oil... although when it was brand new/pre its first service, it used half a litre over 9000 miles. As has been said, it's fast enough and the triple cylinder sound is quite interesting.

The 1.3 is a 4-pot (each cylinder is 333cc basically, same components as the 1.0ltr) and both of them have chain drive, not cam-belts... so my biggest pre-occupation is finding the right oil (0W20 weirdness) so I can change it as Fiat says, or twice as often, once it's out of its service plan.

Ralf S.
We have the 1.3 Wolverine!! It goes like a rocket for a little car and it really does howl when pushed! I don't think there are many newer cars with this engine and that is a proper shame!!

Had our Sport a week now. Compared to our Swift, it seems huge, but we are getting used to it. Collected from a dealer 169 miles from us, so a good run back. Goes very well considering the engine size, although it always feels ‘edgy’, not particularly smooth. The spec and finish are top notch. I had already found a US supplier of original mud guards and they arrived on Friday and have been fitted. So far, really pleased and the push chair does fit in the boot with the detachable front wheels removed👍😁
For what it’s worth, my thoughts after one month of ownership.
Engine always feels ‘edgy’ and not really smooth. Accelerator response is awful. I’ve stalled it a few times and perhaps it’s because of the ‘drive by wire’ configuration, rather than having a physical cable?
Not keen on the handbrake, but getting used to it.
My main gripe however, is the really poor steering lock. It’s a right pain reversing on or off of our drive.
To be fair, other than the above, the car is great. It looks superb and is plenty big enough. It is very economical and I do actually like it a lot.
But every time I drive on or off the drive (which is a 90 degree turn onto a lane), I do curse the steering lock.
Not too sure at the moment if we will stick with it🤔

For what it’s worth, my thoughts after one month of ownership.
Engine always feels ‘edgy’ and not really smooth. Accelerator response is awful. I’ve stalled it a few times and perhaps it’s because of the ‘drive by wire’ configuration, rather than having a physical cable?
Not keen on the handbrake, but getting used to it.
My main gripe however, is the really poor steering lock. It’s a right pain reversing on or off of our drive.
To be fair, other than the above, the car is great. It looks superb and is plenty big enough. It is very economical and I do actually like it a lot.
But every time I drive on or off the drive (which is a 90 degree turn onto a lane), I do curse the steering lock.
Not too sure at the moment if we will stick with it🤔
I think, compared to your swift, the turning circle isn’t that bad compared to a lot of vehicles…I did note on wife’s 4x4 it is greater than the 2x4 (renegade)
Yes, the throttle response reminds me of my dads old Citroen GS Palace that I learned to drive in (as well as the very first micra, what a horrible little car that was) the throttle (and brakes) were like a switch, either on or off…but I got used to it pretty rapidly and liked driving it enormously, it used to show up my mates 1600 cortina gt!

I learned to drive in a Citroen GS! Inboard disk brakes and hydrostatic suspension and the brakes like you say were on or off!! It was a very aerodynamic car in the day and was very fast!!

I learned to drive in a Citroen GS! Inboard disk brakes and hydrostatic suspension and the brakes like you say were on or off!! It was a very aerodynamic car in the day and was very fast!!
Yup, a great car, wehn my dad lent it to me, fast, smooth but all the controls were like switches…my dad called them ‘the stop/go’ switches

2,0 diesel Automatic absolutely perfect, comfortable and reliable car, I have it for 2 years now model 2016. When I bought the car the miliege was 21000 now 48000. No issues at all and I'm very happy with this car. Especially for long drive is absolutely perfect and never makes me
tired.

2,0 diesel Automatic absolutely perfect, comfortable and reliable car, I have it for 2 years now model 2016. When I bought the car the miliege was 21000 now 48000. No issues at all and I'm very happy with this car. Especially for long drive is absolutely perfect and never makes me
tired.
You got the best model IMO. Fiat are always reluctant to make anything with good spec. Maybe your average fiat customers don't want lots of gadgets so they don't sell well? I don't know what I do know is when fiat make range topping cars like the 2.0 500x they are nice cars.

The 2.0L diesel is also the perfect combination of engine for that car. Plenty of power and low down torque in a 4x4 with a super smooth ZF auto box. its a very similar set up to the Range Rover Evoque.

I have a theory that a if you put the 2.0L 4x4 500x toe to toe with a Panda 4x4 the 500x would win out as a better car off road.

If you are carrying little ones, it's worth checking how they fit in a child seat. Although our 500X had quite good space for an adult behind me (at 5'x10'') I found I had to move my seat uncomfortably far forward for small grandchildren in child seats to have room for their feet. We changed ours for a longer car (Hyundai i30) for this reason. Shame, still like the 500X styling.

You haven't said what your budget is, but I have the 1.3 firefly Auto and I'm really pleased with it

Goes well and the gear change is smooth

Economy is OK, 35 to 40 on short around town and commuting, long runs on the motorway well over 40. Can't be more accurate I'm afraid.

The build quality on the facelifted, pre-hybrid cars is pretty good
My 17 plate 1.4 multi air manual only 35~36, runs 90% A road and 10% motorway. Is it normal?

Back