Technical 500L won't turn over and start running

Currently reading:
Technical 500L won't turn over and start running

brianwc

Hi all,

After letting her sit for several months, we've found that our 500L will try to start (lights turn on, makes lots of good noises) but it just won't turn over and actually begin running. It's tantalizing close, but never gets there.

The only thing I can think of is that I did have to jump start it some time back and maybe that overloaded something electrical. The thing is it has ran OK and started several times since then. But now, I can never get it going.

I'm afraid my mechanical expertise is very limited, so offer suggestions with clear small words! Pics would be even better. Thanks.

Start with the basics----have you got a spark at the plugs and have you got fuel in the carb.
The simple way to check for spark is to remove 1 plug, hold it against the engine (the little exhaust elbow is a good place---with an insulated holder!), get an assistant to turn the ignition on and crank the engine---there should be a spark at the plug.
Check that you are getting fuel to the carb. Carefully remove the fuel-line to the carb. Pull the lead from the coil to the distributor off at the coil (so the engine wont start). Aim the removed fuel-line into a small metal container (to catch any fuel that does come out of the fuel-line). Again with your assistant cranking the engine over, check that you have fuel coming up to the carb.-- re-fit fuel-line to carb. If no fuel is coming up there is a good chance that over the period of inaction the fuel has drained back to the tank in which case you will need to pressurise the tank. I do it with a small electric air-pump into the filler neck of the tank with the air-line wrapped in something to seal it and allow a bit of pressure to build up in the tank. To check that fuel is coming through to the pump, remove the IN fuel-line to the pump, and get your assistant to aim the fuel-line into a 'catcher' whilst you pressurise the tank---you will not need a lot of pressurisation. As soon as fuel is coming through, re-connect the fuel-line back onto the pump.
Try these 2 tricks---if they don't work, come back to us! Lastly, how old is the fuel? Modern 'lead-free' fuel goes 'off' much quicker than old fashioned 'leaded' fuel.

Sometimes if the starter motor seems a little sluggish it could be that the starter may need new brushes. Or the battery may not have quite the oomph to turn the engine over fast enough to start.if the engine is a bit worn or out of tune then it may require a good fling from the starter to get it to start. These little old engines require more frequent attention than modern cars and something simple like wear on the contact breaker points closing the points gap can cause the symptoms you describe.

Back