Technical 500c Convertible top repair or replace

Currently reading:
Technical 500c Convertible top repair or replace

Fcastillo

Hello, I have been trying to locate information on how to repair my convertible top. It froze up when I tried to close and I heard some cracking sounds. I am having a difficult time trying to find someone to fix this for me. I wouldn't mind fixing it myself however I can't find anything anywhere on how to do it. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice...

Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are a few videos on youtube; start by watching this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czivkQxdSg8

Unfortunately some of the roof parts would appear to be fragile, and cheaply made - but they are not cheap to buy, if you can even get them at all. A Fiat franchised dealer will likely fix this by replacing the roof complete; expect to pay at least $7000 - $8000.

In the UK, there is an aftermarket company which will supply and fit a new soft top for £4250 - that's a shade under $6000.

If it were my car, I'd be searching the web to find out how the mechanism works and what has actually broken, then I'd trawl the 'net and the breakers to try to find whatever parts I needed.

Please keep us informed about how you get on with this - it could help someone else with a similar issue.

I am having a difficult time trying to find someone to fix this for me

Others have said the same thing in the past; most soft top restorers in the US will be completely out of their depth when working on a car like this. You don't want to be paying them to learn how to fix it, using your car as a guinea pig, so the first question to ask is "how many other 500C roof repairs have you done?"

Interestingly, though there are quite a few 500C owners on the forum, we don't see that many posts from folks having problems with them, so you may just have been unlucky.

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Hi and welcome to the forum.

There are a few videos on youtube; start by watching this one.

Unfortunately some of the roof parts would appear to be fragile, and cheaply made - but they are not cheap to buy, if you can even get them at all. A Fiat franchised dealer will likely fix this by replacing the roof complete; expect to pay at least $7000 - $8000.

In the UK, there is an aftermarket company which will supply and fit a new soft top for £4250 - that's a shade under $6000.

If it were my car, I'd be searching the web to find out how the mechanism works and what has actually broken, then I'd trawl the 'net and the breakers to try to find whatever parts I needed.

Please keep us informed about how you get on with this - it could help someone else with a similar issue.

Others have said the same thing in the past; most soft top restorers in the US will be completely out of their depth when working on a car like this. You don't want to be paying them to learn how to fix it, using your car as a guinea pig, so the first question to ask is "how many other 500C roof repairs have you done?"

Interestingly, though there are quite a few 500C owners on the forum, we don't see that many posts from folks having problems with them, so you may just have been unlucky.

My 2012 pop top broke about 4-5 years ago. Because of this, the trunk won't open anymore without using the internal release catch. Dealer told me they could only install a new top. They quoted $4k-$5k which is the worth of the car. Needless to say I never fixed.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I’m embarrassed to say I just bought one of these with a bad top. All the plastic pieces are broken. Actually I went to an auto upholstery shop and they turned me away. The car is in otherwise good condition. I did not do enough research and now stuck with a car I can’t use. A Chrysler dealer quoted a price of $5,800 for the part which I was told would need to be installed by an independent contractor - and I think that was just for the cover. Not the plastic bits! Definitely having buyers remorse.

I’m embarrassed to say I just bought one of these with a bad top. All the plastic pieces are broken. Actually I went to an auto upholstery shop and they turned me away. The car is in otherwise good condition. I did not do enough research and now stuck with a car I can’t use. A Chrysler dealer quoted a price of $5,800 for the part which I was told would need to be installed by an independent contractor - and I think that was just for the cover. Not the plastic bits! Definitely having buyers remorse.
Hello Cynthia,

I’m Ben. Unfortunately, just like yourself, I too recently purchased A 500c with a bad top. All of the black plastic and silver ‘L’ shaped pieces are broken and no one in my area seems to know anything about them or what can be done to fix it! Not only that, but I am continually discovering other little things going wrong and no one knows anything about them. My buyers remorse is getting worse! Have you had any luck in getting your top fixed?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Ben

Hello Cynthia,

I’m Ben. Unfortunately, just like yourself, I too recently purchased A 500c with a bad top. All of the black plastic and silver ‘L’ shaped pieces are broken and no one in my area seems to know anything about them or what can be done to fix it! Not only that, but I am continually discovering other little things going wrong and no one knows anything about them. My buyers remorse is getting worse! Have you had any luck in getting your top fixed?

Look forward to hearing from you,
Ben
Hi Ben,
I took mine to another shop, Ace Auto Tops, in Red Bank , NJ.
John, managed to get mine closed and put a screw in each of the front corners to keep it closed. For now, that’s it. It’s still a little loud but is drivable. I made a “shower cap” as I don’t know if it would leak if rained on.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.jpeg
    IMG_4382.jpeg
    701.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 71897744721__7055ABE6-0431-4E93-BF32-7121915B87EB.jpeg
    71897744721__7055ABE6-0431-4E93-BF32-7121915B87EB.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 55
Back