Technical 500 map sensor

Currently reading:
Technical 500 map sensor

HughesGQ

Evening all,
The better half 500 1.2 gave her code p0106 2 weeks ago so changed the map sensor reset and everything been running fine for just under 2 weeks now and over 200miles done.
Tonight she pulled on the drive engine light back on - p0106.
Removed map sensor and it was wet with oil.

Anybody with any ideas would be very welcome.

👍

Same here, i changed the map sensor with new one, old one was covered with (fresh?) Oil. Probleem seems to be fixed for now now but I'm curious how oil gets on the map sensor. Following

If it is a turbo engine then most likely cause is an oil leak in the turbo. I used to have a Croma 1.9MJet and there was always oil in the post turbo tubing. Add sooty EGR and you end up with a clogged MAP.

When I say leak I should really say weeping. I've not seen a 100% clean and oil free intake on a diesel turbo engine. Dare not look on my 500X petrol 1.4 turbo :)

Besides turbo then all engines have crank case fume recovery. Oil vapour is taken out of the crank case and circulated back up to the inlet manifold to be burnt via the combustion process. If the car is doing lots of short runs then the oil vapour condenses in the inlet system clinging on to all those cooler surfaces.

In my infinite need to be doing “something “ productive on my car I bought some sensor cleaner a few days back & today cleaned my map….. I didn’t have any reason to but seeing as it looks original & my car is a 2011 I thought why not.
Took it out … quite oily .. cleaned it out let it dry out for 2 hours ..re fitted battery on .. re set everything.. started the car & immediately noticed a difference at idle
She feels somehow firmer … meatier 😂 will have to see how long it lasts but so far I’m quite impressed… to say I didn’t really think it would make any difference is an understatement

Took it out … quite oily .. cleaned it out let it dry out for 2 hours
Now take off the breather hoses and clean those inside as well. You might just be surprised how oily they sometimes get inside, and if you clean them, it may take a little longer before the oil finds its way back to the sensor. A piece of rag tied to a length of wire makes a good (and free) cleaning tool.

Now take off the breather hoses and clean those inside as well. You might just be surprised how oily they sometimes get inside, and if you clean them, it may take a little longer before the oil finds its way back to the sensor. A piece of rag tied to a length of wire makes a good (and free) cleaning tool.
Thank you for that JR I’ll definitely do that!

Back